• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christchurch Shooter Sentenced To Life

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Brenton Tarrant, a white supremacist who killed 51 worshippers at two Christchurch, New Zealand mosques, was sentenced to life in prison without parole Thursday.

The 29-year-old Australian national's sentence marks the first time New Zealand has imprisoned someone without the possibility of release.

New Zealand's Christchurch Mosque Shooter Sentenced To Life Without Parole : NPR

Life? All those dead people and they only give him life? Take him out back and shoot him in the head.

Last I checked New Zealand did away with the death penalty entirely way back in the 1980's.

Life? All those dead people and they only give him life? Take him out back and shoot him in the head.

Does New Zealand have a death penalty?

Life in Prison without Parole is as good as a death sentence.

It's New Zealand. They abolished the death penalty in 1989, and it hasn't been used since 1957. So life without parole is as much as the court could give. According to the article, it's the first time that sentence has been used.

Trump is bummed that he can't pardon him.

In many ways, LWOP can be a much worse punishment than death. He gets to spend the rest of his days festering in a cage like a subhuman pig, with no hope of an end game that he can enjoy ever again. Depends on the individual though.

In many ways, LWOP can be a much worse punishment than death. He gets to spend the rest of his days festering in a cage like a subhuman pig, with no hope of an end game that he can enjoy ever again. Depends on the individual though.

WTF! You have got to be kidding. This is nz not some overcrowded, unsanitary and violent american prison. It is not some third world ****hole of a prison

He will live in a warm cell with a comfortable bed. Depending on behaviour he will have access to books, television and some hobbies. Because he is deemed an at risk prisoner he will even have the luxury of a private cell.

And don't forget he is fresh meat.

WTF! You have got to be kidding. This is nz not some overcrowded, unsanitary and violent american prison. It is not some third world ****hole of a prison

He will live in a warm cell with a comfortable bed. Depending on behaviour he will have access to books, television and some hobbies. Because he is deemed an at risk prisoner he will even have the luxury of a private cell.

And he will rarely have the chance to leave it.

If you think it's soooo luxurious then why don't you give it a try? Comfortable bed LOL! You make it clear that you've never been held in captivity against your will. Or, maybe you have, and you're one of the few individuals who have little or no problem with it. Such that you can find great enjoyment in something as simple as a bologna sandwich, since that's probably one of the main highlights of any prisoner's day. Either way, it will drive most people insane if they don't learn a few coping mechanisms real quick.

Maybe check out a few episodes of Hard Times, Lockdown, or Locked Up Abroad when you get a chance. I've watched nearly all of them, so it's very cringe-worthy to me when people seem to think living in prison is like living in a New York Penthouse or something. Most prisoners who avoid the DP are relieved at first, then disappointed about 3 months later.

Life in Prison without Parole is as good as a death sentence.

Not even close. If life imprisonment was the same as a death sentence, then there wouldn't be so many on death row using all of their legal appeals to stay alive.

When it comes to the scale of justice, there is only one thing that can hope to penalize a murderer and that is forfeiting their own life too.

The death penalty is NOT meant as a deterrent---even if it may sometimes act as one. No, the death penalty serves only one purpose, and that is just punishment for the worst offenses. Because you cannot honor and respect innocent life without a punishment that serves as the opposite on the scale to taking innocent lives. We honor innocent life by punishing guilty lives.

Unless life in prison includes hard labor day in and day out. I don't see it as punishment for mass murder at all.

No, this is not correct. That is what you get for going to cheap articles that do not understand what they are talking about.

There is no such thing as life without parole in nz.

WE do however have a clause that is called
https://www.corrections.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/12652/TOPIC_SERIES_Indeterminate_sentences.pdf
Life Imprisonment and Preventive Detention are described
as indeterminate sentences because, when imposed by a
sentencing judge, no fixed expiry date applies. Instead, a
“minimum non-parole period” is specified, constituting the
length of time that the offender must remain in prison
before parole can be considered. However, as the following
analysis will show, prisoners subject to indeterminate
sentences can serve many years beyond the non-parole date
before eventual release.
Once released, indeterminately sentenced offenders are
subject to recall to prison at any time, and may as a result of
recall spend many more years in custody.

So to be technically correct. He has given life without any set date for a parole. Meaning that if he does all the right things and shows real remorse ticks all the right boxes then he may become eligible for parole.

NZ does restorative justice. meaning, again from the link

This group of offenders will therefore
continue to be an important focus for correctional policy
and practice, both to ensure sound and humane
management of these offenders while in prison, and to
promote effective rehabilitation so that as many as
realistically possible can eventually be released, without
creating undue risks to public safety.

Please keep in mind that sweden which has Anders Breivik who only got 21 years for killing 77 people because sweden runs its prisons under a fully restorative justice scheme.

Completely different from america where if any of the posts by americans so far demonstrate. You cannot even spell restorative let alone comprehend the difference.

Not even close. If life imprisonment was the same as a death sentence, then there wouldn't be so many on death row using all of their legal appeals to stay alive.

When it comes to the scale of justice, there is only one thing that can hope to penalize a murderer and that is forfeiting their own life too.

The death penalty is NOT meant as a deterrent---even if it may sometimes act as one. No, the death penalty serves only one purpose, and that is just punishment for the worst offenses. Because you cannot honor and respect innocent life without a punishment that serves as the opposite on the scale to taking innocent lives. We honor innocent life by punishing guilty lives.

Unless life in prison includes hard labor day in and day out. I don't see it as punishment for mass murder at all.

How amusing that you have a sig. of "all lives matter" while promoting the death penalty. Is that irony or is it hypocrisy?

If you think it's soooo luxurious then why don't you give it a try? Comfortable bed LOL! You make it clear that you've never been held in captivity against your will. Or, maybe you have, and you're one of the few individuals who have little or no problem with it. Such that you can find great enjoyment in something as simple as a bologna sandwich, since that's probably one of the main highlights of any prisoner's day. Either way, it will drive most people insane if they don't learn a few coping mechanisms real quick.

Maybe check out a few episodes of Hard Times, Lockdown, or Locked Up Abroad when you get a chance. I've watched nearly all of them, so it's very cringe-worthy to me when people seem to think living in prison is like living in a New York Penthouse or something. Most prisoners who avoid the DP are relieved at first, then disappointed about 3 months later.

Do not know the programs but willing to bet they are about american or third world prisons. So, no real comparison as nz has a restorative justice system while i would imagine those programs look at prisons that do not.

Nor did i describe prison life as luxurious . But neither is it the hell hole you wish it to be. But do keep in mind that i am referring to nz prisons.

Do not know the programs but willing to bet they are about american or third world prisons. So, no real comparison as nz has a restorative justice system while i would imagine those programs look at prisons that do not.

Nor did i describe prison life as luxurious . But neither is it the hell hole you wish it to be. But do keep in mind that i am referring to nz prisons.
Locked Up Abroad has at least one episode in Japan's restorative prison system, which is not 3rd world but did not appear to be much more pleasant of a stay. There you didn't have to worry so much about violence from other inmates, but there was virtually no free time and no social interactions allowed whatsoever. Every second if your day is accounted for as part of a rigid structure to recondition you into a "properly socialized" human being.

I'm not finding any episodes specifically in NZ, but I'm also not buying that NZ's prisons are relatively soft in comparison, especially for those serving LWOP for whom reconditioning would be pointless anyway.

At any rate, this asshole may be able to find and enjoy little pleasures here and there from now on, but he won't be happy in life I can all but guarantee that.

No, this is not correct. That is what you get for going to cheap articles that do not understand what they are talking about.

There is no such thing as life without parole in nz.

WE do however have a clause that is called
https://www.corrections.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/12652/TOPIC_SERIES_Indeterminate_sentences.pdf

So to be technically correct. He has given life without any set date for a parole. Meaning that if he does all the right things and shows real remorse ticks all the right boxes then he may become eligible for parole.

NZ does restorative justice. meaning, again from the link

Please keep in mind that sweden which has Anders Breivik who only got 21 years for killing 77 people because sweden runs its prisons under a fully restorative justice scheme.

Completely different from america where if any of the posts by americans so far demonstrate. You cannot even spell restorative let alone comprehend the difference.
Interesting technicality, and points. Can it be said that they gave him the harshest punishment possible under current NZ law?

Locked Up Abroad has at least one episode in Japan's restorative prison system, which is not 3rd world but did not appear to be much more pleasant of a stay. There you didn't have to worry so much about violence from other inmates, but there was virtually no free time and no social interactions allowed whatsoever. Every second if your day is accounted for as part of a rigid structure to recondition you into a "properly socialized" human being.

I'm not finding any episodes specifically in NZ, but I'm also not buying that NZ's prisons are relatively soft in comparison, especially for those serving LWOP for whom reconditioning would be pointless anyway.

At any rate, this asshole may be able to find and enjoy little pleasures here and there from now on, but he won't be happy in life I can all but guarantee that.

You have gone from one extreme to another. i am not trying to say that life is good in prison. But i did want to point out that it is not as bad as, to use your words, "festering in a cage like a subhuman pig, with no hope of an end game."

Another concept that americans do not seem to grasp is that prisoners do have rights. It is considered inhuman to allow festering in a cage.

His life will be the same as you have just mentioned. he is going to be kept in isolation ( for his own protection, ironically) and his life will be very regimented.

But, as i have said elsewhere, nz runs under a philosophy of restorative justice. meaning that he will be given opportunity to demonstrate remorse. But that will be up to him rather than any kind of conditioning by the system.

Interesting technicality, and points. Can it be said that they gave him the harshest punishment possible under current NZ law?

Yes, politically. One never given to a criminal before. The next longest is,
* Feb 2003 - William Bell, 25, jailed for a minimum non-parole period of 33 years for killing three people at the Mt Wellington-Panmure Returned Services Association on December 8, 2001.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fdef6c44c-e556-11ea-9b25-18353d361fa2.jpg

Death is the coward's way out and he doesn't deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom