• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Wallace: working at Fox News became ‘unsustainable’ after election

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Chris Wallace has said working at Fox News became “increasingly unsustainable” before he jumped ship to CNN last December after almost 20 years with the right-leaning cable channel. His departure dealt a blow to Fox’s news operation at a time when its opinion side had become preeminent. The veteran journalist’s new show begins on archrival CNN’s streaming service this week and the 74-year-old spoke to the New York Times. “I’m fine with opinion: conservative opinion, liberal opinion. But when people start to question the truth – ‘Who won the 2020 election? Was January 6 an insurrection?’ – I found that unsustainable,” he told the newspaper. He added: “Before, I found it was an environment in which I could do my job and feel good about my involvement at Fox. And since November of 2020, that just became unsustainable, increasingly unsustainable as time went on.” When asked why he didn’t leave Fox News earlier, he said: “I spent a lot of 2021 looking to see if there was a different place for me to do my job.” And he acknowledged: “Some people might have drawn the line earlier, or at a different point…I think Fox has changed over the course of the last year and a half. But I can certainly understand where somebody would say, ‘Gee, you were a slow learner, Chris’.”

After Donald Trump lost the November 2020 election to Joe Biden, Fox skewed further from news to comment, ending its 7pm nightly broadcast, firing the political editor who had been part of Fox accurately projecting on election night that Trump had lost the crucial state of Arizona and promoting Tucker Carlson, the populist commentator and host who has consistently downplayed the insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January 2021, by extremist Trump supporters, the New York Times noted. Carlson and other voices aired by Fox have spent the past four weeks playing down Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, going soft on Putin, and undermining the messages of the invaded country’s sovereignty and the Biden administration and Nato in supporting Ukraine. “One of the reasons that I left Fox was because I wanted to put all of that behind me,” Wallace said, adding that: “There has not been a moment when I have second-guessed myself about that decision.”

All Rupert Murdock cares about is proffit. Honesty and integrity are nowhere to be found in his business model.

Trump and his enablers / supporters go after Wallace with a series of attacks in 5... 4... 3...

Chris Wallace was at ABC nightly news for a few years if my memory serves me well. Thus FOX News and Chris Wallace never could match in my mind. But they did.

I watched faux in the early 2000s, and it was obvious what it was even back then. Wallace was hired to give the propaganda network a thin facade of legitimacy. As an intelligent person, I'm sure that he knows that on some level.

I watched faux in the early 2000s, and it was obvious what it was even back then. Wallace was hired to give the propaganda network a thin facade of legitimacy. As an intelligent person, I'm sure that he knows that on some level.

Yeah, funny how the first 18 years were okay.

Who can forget this classic interview.

Fox represents that element of America that wants a return to 1950's America.......where white is paramount in all things.......where the cultural make up of America only included people of other races or religions or sexual preference or any kind of difference from theirs' was tolerated but only as long as those people understood their place in society.......they were raised on Saturday matinee westerns and Sunday School and the good guy is clearly defined and is always the winner......and most important that black Americans and other race Americans knew their place.......the cultural changes of the 60's and 70's were inevitable and millions of these folks could not handle that much personal and racial freedom......they still cannot

the sad thing is Fox......Murdoch understands these folks and preys on their fears to make gazillions......he knows that by encouraging his talking heads to say the right things these poor devils will follow him straight into hell......

Wallace was hired to give the propaganda network a thin facade of legitimacy. As an intelligent person, I'm sure that he knows that on some level.
That's a given and yes, I'm sure he was aware of that.
Not comparable, but similar to when they had Alan Colmes on offering the more progressive counter argument to Hannity. I was never a big Colmes fan but likewise it was obvious the network just wanted to be able to say "see, we really are fair and balanced. Even if our effort to offer opposing views is token at best."

Wallace isn't a journalist, he's an Establishment hack, just like his father.

The disinformation network (CNN) is where he belongs.

That's a given and yes, I'm sure he was aware of that.
Not comparable, but similar to when they had Alan Colmes on offering the more progressive counter argument to Hannity. I was never a big Colmes fan but likewise it was obvious the network just wanted to be able to say "see, we really are fair and balanced. Even if our effort to offer opposing views is token at best."

Fox News definitely went into cheerleading mode, especially with their ‘news analysis’ shows, after Trump entered the political scene.

I’ve seen it first hand, but Fox News is far from alone with their obvious political bias.
That's an argument that I didn't make.

Wallace isn't a journalist, he's an Establishment hack, just like his father.

The disinformation network (CNN) is where he belongs.

So as a journalist he has to be wondering out loud whether the election was stolen with no evidence, so he’s not labeled a disinformation hack? But of course, Donald Trump and Tucker Carlson are a fountain of truth and reliable information, right?🤣

I’ve seen it first hand, but Fox News is far from alone with their obvious political bias.

There is absolutely no equivalence. Fox News is the only channel which has been sued by its own reporters for forcing them to lie, and whose viewers have been found to be less informed about actual events than people who don’t watch any news at all.

That's an argument that I didn't make.

I never claimed that you did. It’s my assertion, which you made no effort to dispute, other than with diversionary snark.

Last edited:
I never claimed that you did. It’s my assertion, which you made no effort to dispute, other than with diversionary snark.
I would argue that Murdoch's impact on journalism in general has been utterly awful on a global scale. I regret falling into that web for a while.

iu

All Rupert Murdock cares about is proffit. Honesty and integrity are nowhere to be found in his business model.

No shock there but I agree with others about wondering how it took so long
Fox for a very long time as been bottom of the barely when it comes to credibility among mains stream media .. its not even close
I have said for a very long time that Fox is the Micheal Jordan of bullshit news, false narratives and damage to America as far as propaganda goes

now of course there are other players right and left . . . .. but FOXis the MJ lol

Wallace always came across as a centrist. Always. So I'm not at all surprised that he could not remain at that shit storm of a network.

There is absolutely no equivalence. Fox News is the only channel which has been sued by its own reporters for forcing them to lie, and whose viewers have been found to be less informed about actual events than people who don’t watch any news at all.

Asserting that political bias is a serious bias problem at Fox News does mean that political bias does not exist elsewhere. I won’t accept the argument that if A’s bias is deemed to be worse than that of B or C then the bias at B and C is not a problem.

CNN is not immune from having issues involving lawsuits by its ‘reporters’.

I found it amusing (and informative) that Tucker Carlson succeeded in his claim that nobody believes his assertions of fact as a defense against alleged defamation.

Fox represents that element of America that wants a return to 1950's America.......where white is paramount in all things.......where the cultural make up of America only included people of other races or religions or sexual preference or any kind of difference from theirs' was tolerated but only as long as those people understood their place in society.......they were raised on Saturday matinee westerns and Sunday School and the good guy is clearly defined and is always the winner......and most important that black Americans and other race Americans knew their place.......the cultural changes of the 60's and 70's were inevitable and millions of these folks could not handle that much personal and racial freedom......they still cannot

the sad thing is Fox......Murdoch understands these folks and preys on their fears to make gazillions......he knows that by encouraging his talking heads to say the right things these poor devils will follow him straight into hell......
Well said! This is probably the best explanation I have read.

pod.gif

Agree, it is hard to find unbiased news, you really have to look at many sources. Fox however went to the next level when they allowed Hannity and Ingraham
to campaign with trump and actually share the stage with him, no pushback. As far as I am aware this is a first for a major news outlet.

There is a difference between being biased and outright propaganda via total disinformation

I fully agree, such as declaring Hunter Biden’s laptop content to be “Russian disinformation”. The biggest problem with media bias is that it is most often accomplished by simple omission. After all, its not a lie to simply ignore an ‘inconvenient’ issue, controversy (scandal?) or event, yet it is clear evidence of bias.

Perhaps the NYT says it best with their slogan: All the news that’s fit to print. Who, exactly, decides whether an issue event or controversy (scandal?) is “fit“ to report?

Last edited:
Wallace made a good move. Would have been better if he had gone to PBS or BBC.

Back
Top Bottom