• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Stapleton is NOT a country singer

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I like all kinds of music. Rap, country, rock, blues, R&B, classical...all of it. And Chris Stapleton is definitely a favorite of mine.

But I dont understand why he is classified as “country music”. I get that he was a song writer before he was a performer and that he has written a ton of songs for country singers. But when I hear HIM sing, I don’t hear country. A couple popular examples for people not familiar with Chris:

I mean, he plays a steel guitar and sometimes wears a cowboy hat, but when I listen to him I hear blues and southern rock WAY more than I hear country. Leave everything the same except change his skin color to black and nobody would be calling that country.

Im not complaining, mind you, I actually like it when music doesn’t easily fit into a genre box, but I find it interesting. Does anyone disagree with me? Any music experts (I’m not one) who think it is clearly country?

As a fellow Texan I must inform you that your position on country music probably violates multiple state laws. ;)
I would literally not be surprised.

The only thing country about Chris Stapleton is his hat. He's definitely more blues/bluegrass/southern rock than country.

That said, I tend to worry less about the genre and more about the artist. Lots of artists transcend genre.

Last edited:
I like all kinds of music. Rap, country, rock, blues, R&B, classical...all of it. And Chris Stapleton is definitely a favorite of mine.

But I dont understand why he is classified as “country music”. I get that he was a song writer before he was a performer and that he has written a ton of songs for country singers. But when I hear HIM sing, I don’t hear country. A couple popular examples for people not familiar with Chris:

I mean, he plays a steel guitar and sometimes wears a cowboy hat, but when I listen to him I hear blues and southern rock WAY more than I hear country. Leave everything the same except change his skin color to black and nobody would be calling that country.

Im not complaining, mind you, I actually like it when music doesn’t easily fit into a genre box, but I find it interesting. Does anyone disagree with me? Any music experts (I’m not one) who think it is clearly country?

It's where Leon led a lot of people and where Waylon was headed once upon a time, it's all outlaw.
What passes for country on the radio today is the same four songs all of which sound like truck commercials.

It's where Leon led a lot of people and where Waylon was headed once upon a time, it's all outlaw.
What passes for country on the radio today is the same four songs all of which sound like truck commercials.

Huh. I never thought of categorizing Stapleton as outlaw country, but I can see it. Might explain why I like him so much as my favorite country singers make up The Highwaymen.

Lots of artists hop genres very few transcend them

Well said. Leon Russell was an example of that, and no matter how much some folks hate them, The Eagles were another.
Well said, sir.

Huh. I never thought of categorizing Stapleton as outlaw country, but I can see it. Might explain why I like him so much as my favorite country singers make up The Highwaymen.

The country radio business has ruined country music, it ruined it twenty years ago, maybe more.
And even with terrestrial radio on life support now, the damage remains.
To be classified as "country" now, the restrictions are so tight that everyone sings about the same crap, makes the same riffs and licks, carves out the same two minutes and eighteen seconds of monotonous blather and invokes the same tired old tropes.

Johnny Cash couldn't even get an audition today if they didn't know he was Cash, and neither could Willie.
Yeah yeah yeah I know folks are going to smear me about old school for old men, but Garth Brooks can't sing his way out of a paper bag or find his own ass with a roadmap and a flashlight. He doesn't even actually care about the music, his whole goddamn show is one long beer commercial. And Blake Shelton has dissed Leon Russell on every single episode of The Voice where someone sings "A Song For You" by letting them get away with calling it a Donnie Hathaway song when Leon wrote the damn thing, and Blake is an Okie, so it is unforgivable.

Country today is "pop country" and it is nauseating.

The only thing country about Chris Stapleton is his hat. He's definitely more blues/bluegrass/southern rock than country.

That said, I tend to worry less about the genre and more about the artist. Lots of artists transcend genre.

When Nashville became Nash-Vegas, that's when people started booting all the greats out of the business because they "weren't country", sort of like how "xxxx didn't leave the Republican Party, the party left them." Same damn thing.
Chris is where country would have evolved, and has evolved despite being cast out of the genre.

Fifty years from now no one will remember Big and Rich, but people will remember Chris Stapleton.

Back
Top Bottom