• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Matthews: 'Rise Of The New Right' Special Will 'Scare The Heck Out' Of Liberals

Re: Chris Matthews: 'Rise Of The New Right' Special Will 'Scare The Heck Out' Of Libe

Whenever you see movement to the left, you will also see equal movement to the right by an opposing force. It's nothing new at all. It's normal ebb and flow, and is a natural phenomenon.

Fine, except the net effect is the country is far more to the right than it has been in 50 years.

Re: Chris Matthews: 'Rise Of The New Right' Special Will 'Scare The Heck Out' Of Libe

Abandon 'relative morality' and we're fine.

Not sure where you got the idea that my morality is relative; its actually pretty absolute and consistent. Probably that thread where you couldn't understand the point I was making. :mrgreen:

Fine, except the net effect is the country is far more to the right than it has been in 50 years.

Do you really think so?

That's a wonderful thought. I sure hope it is true. I find it very cheerful and heartening.

Thank you for being my personal ray of sunshine today. :mrgreen:

How so?

Not sure where you got the idea that my morality is relative; its actually pretty absolute and consistent.

I can vouch for that if need be.:mrgreen: You're one of the most consistent and reliable posters here.

:rofl

I can't wait for an explanation of how the country is far more to the right than it was in 1960.

When Matthews spends a few years, working, living, and breathing in gang land then he can lecture me on fear.

The fact that he cited Alex Jones as part of "the New Right" says everything that needs to be said.

Even people on the right hate Jones.

When Matthews spends a few years, working, living, and breathing in gang land then he can lecture me on fear.

Even people on the right hate Jones.

Yea, I seem to remember eight years of Jones spewing 9/11 conspiracy theories and attacking Bush, but now that Obama's in office and he's doing the same thing, it means he's part of the NEW RIGHT.

This type of pandering to the lowest common denominator is so pathetic.

I thought the special was an excellent summary of the New Right as a continuing, aggressive, reactionary and regressive force running through American politics for the past century and how new media has made it more effective and more dangerous today.

I thought the special was an excellent summary of the New Right as a continuing, aggressive, reactionary and regressive force running through American politics for the past century and how new media has made it more effective and more dangerous today.

But did you learn anything?

Alex Jones will be against the "establishment" because he a conspiracy theorist attention whore, he could care less who the people in power actually are. I just wonder whether the desire to call him a rightwinger are motivated more by stupidity or dishonesty. If I wanted some over-the-top content free BS, I'd watch one of Fiorina's loony adds with the demon sheep or the HindenBoxer that at least have entertainment value.

What a desperate, pathetic, typically bias attempt of spin this piece of crap is...

So lets see, lets detail both the EXTREME right wing militia groups actually legitimately calling for revolution or armed revolt and then detail the far more mainstream conservative movement of the Tea Party whose only real nation wide platform of ideas promotes working WITHIN the government system to change things. Lets do these right next to each other and in such a way that we imply to those that are either dumb or simply looking for their own ignorantly biased assumptions to be "proven correct" think that "OMG! THE TEA PARTY WANTS TO OVER THROW THE GOVERNMENT!". Lets place an absolute nut job conspiracy theorist like Alex Jones whose views and opinions are cared about by a tiny, tiny fraction of the population with someone like Dick Army whose a former congressman and leader of an organization that is far wider in its reach than Jones. Lets focus on the "birther" movement that's carried by a minority of the Tea Partiers but not point out or acknolwedge that the one over arching ideological platform of the movement is primarily abscent of any of the major "social conservative" wedge issues that the right is so often reviled for.

What a steaming pile of crap

Sounds interesting. I'll tune in.

Will you listen to Rush and FOXNEWS too?
For a few weeks?

Translation: this country is so upset with this abortion of an administration and Congress that it's about to un-elect what it just elected the past four years, so we must all be crazy.

If it's so hard right, how did the Democrats get the White House and Congress? The truth is, your party showed its ass yet again, and people are running away in droves.

What a desperate, pathetic, typically bias attempt of spin this piece of crap is...

So lets see, lets detail both the EXTREME right wing militia groups actually legitimately calling for revolution or armed revolt and then detail the far more mainstream conservative movement of the Tea Party whose only real nation wide platform of ideas promotes working WITHIN the government system to change things. Lets do these right next to each other and in such a way that we imply to those that are either dumb or simply looking for their own ignorantly biased assumptions to be "proven correct" think that "OMG! THE TEA PARTY WANTS TO OVER THROW THE GOVERNMENT!". Lets place an absolute nut job conspiracy theorist like Alex Jones whose views and opinions are cared about by a tiny, tiny fraction of the population with someone like Dick Army whose a former congressman and leader of an organization that is far wider in its reach than Jones. Lets focus on the "birther" movement that's carried by a minority of the Tea Partiers but not point out or acknolwedge that the one over arching ideological platform of the movement is primarily abscent of any of the major "social conservative" wedge issues that the right is so often reviled for.

What a steaming pile of crap

True, but it's okay. Matthews ratings typically are in line with pbs and logo.

Translation: this country is so upset with this abortion of an administration and Congress that it's about to un-elect what it just elected the past four years, so we must all be crazy.

Right - and I think Matthews saw this coming and wanted to do a hit job on the Tea Party and Conservatives to show that, this abortion of an administration relative to a popular alternative (ie. The New Right) isn't so bad after all. Message: "Hey liberals and Progressives - take heart and don't lose faith! You're alternative are these freak Tea Party members and THEY HAVE GUNS!!"

Alex Jones will be against the "establishment" because he a conspiracy theorist attention whore, he could care less who the people in power actually are. I just wonder whether the desire to call him a rightwinger are motivated more by stupidity or dishonesty.

Alex Jones is this weird combination of Libertarianism and Pat Buchanan Paleoconservativism.

Indeed. The return of the Birchers from the 50s [Eisenhower was a communist plant by their lights] and civilian militias [one step from armed insurrection to listen to them] from the 90s are unwelcome developments of late. We really thought we were finally past this crap.

We conservatives thought we were finally past this crap from the Clinton era but then Obama got elected to further his communist agenda, so we're back to square 1.

Actully Mr mathews is the liberal version of Glenn Beck in my own oppion they are both idtos

Little lady, you are coming around. We'll make a conservative out of you yet.

:lol:

ohyeaman.gif

Rise of the new right.

Hardball with Chris Matthews

This is a great documentary. The republicans stunning defeat in the last election has the grass roots of that party running all over hell thanks to Palin and like minded conservative groups. They used to be marginalised by the more reasonable centerist portion of the republican party. But now they are really having to hide the "grass roots" of conservatism. These people have a huge influence on the republican party.

Last edited:

Not sure where you got the idea that my morality is relative; its actually pretty absolute and consistent. Probably that thread where you couldn't understand the point I was making. :mrgreen:

I have a problem with thinking that other people's morality is relative. Greater fear does not cause or justify greater inhumanity, period. Noone is excused, there is no explanation and no passes or sympathy will be given - if someone is a monster, they are a monster and I don't give a damn what circumstances lead to it. Circumstances are irrelevant, I judge morality on actions alone.

If you agree, then it must have just been the limits of text restricting understanding between us.

Last edited:

Do you think you would not learn anything from watching?
I doubt it. Programs like this usually have such a large confirmation bias it's a wonder it got taken seriously enough to be produced

So were you sufficiently scared?

Dear MSNBC.com. People might watch your crap more if your website was capable of streaming video without continuous buffering.

Also if your content was, you know, interesting.

Back
Top Bottom