• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign ‘In The Coming Weeks’

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
An interesting theory by Chris Matthews last night:

“But what if the prosecutor were to offer the president an alternative. What if he were to say he would let the children walk if the old man does the same? That would mean giving up the presidency in exchange for acquittals all around ― not just for himself, but for all his kids.”

There are some on the left who consider Trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the Russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to Trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As Matthews says, Trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

an interesting theory by chris matthews last night:

There are some on the left who consider trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As matthews says, trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

chris matthews predicts trump could resign ‘in the coming weeks’

lololol!!!

Chris just got another tingle!!

Not going to happen.

Even if he did somehow walk, his organization and many around him (probably himself as well) are going to be facing several other investigations by other law enforcement bodies not named Mueller.

Not going to happen.

Even if he did somehow walk, his organization and many around him (probably himself as well) are going to be facing several other investigations by other law enforcement bodies not named Mueller.

Well most legal scholars say you can't arrest a sitting President...

Not going to happen.

You beat me to it. Trump won't resign. He knows if he does, he's toast. He'll ride out the protection of the office of POTUS for the time being.

You beat me to it. Trump won't resign. He knows if he does, he's toast. He'll ride out the protection of the office of POTUS for the time being.

Agreed

In addition, trumps ego will not let him resign and I do not think he would give himself up to save his spawn

There are some on the left who consider Trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the Russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to Trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As Matthews says, Trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

Trump isn't charged with anything. Neither are his kids. Trump doesn't have any reason to resign.

Matthews is dreaming.

Agreed

In addition, trumps ego will not let him resign and I do not think he would give himself up to save his spawn

Maybe he would try to save his darling Ivanka, because her breasts wouldn't look quite as good in an orange jumpsuit. And that would upset him. But for sure he won't try to save Junior and the dumb brother.

More immediately, that would require admitting - even to himself - that he was wrong/in the wrong/vulnerable/etc., and I really cannot see him doing that.

Counterpoint: Trump's Bluster has always disappeared when under oath (and legally liable) before, despite his many, many lawsuits. It's quite possible he retains a core of self-awareness, if only for self-preservation's sake.

He isn't going to resign.

More immediately, that would require admitting - even to himself - that he was wrong/in the wrong/vulnerable/etc., and I really cannot see him doing that.

Counterpoint: Trump's Bluster has always disappeared when under oath (and legally liable) before, despite his many, many lawsuits. It's quite possible he retains a core of self-awareness, if only for self-preservation's sake.

Yes, there's that too. He knows that a resignation is an admission of guilt. He still thinks he was railroaded on the Trump University case.

Chris Matthews is fantasizing out loud, and while I know both sides fantasize out loud, his fantasy is even dopier than some of the Trump Fan fantasies.

Trump isn't charged with anything. Neither are his kids. Trump doesn't have any reason to resign.

Matthews is dreaming.

Don Jr is about to be charged. But I wouldn't expect the Flynn is innocent crowd to understand why.

I highly doubt he is going to resign. Dragged out kicking and screaming perhaps, but not resign.

He still thinks the "liberal" SDNY treated Cohen unfairly. I'm not sure how much of his own BS he believes though.

Agreed

Interesting then I wonder what made him do that apology after the p-tape came out. That was one of his most public apologizes.

Agree he also may have the SC to back him up on arresting a sitting president. It makes him dangerous though I think. What stops would he pull out to win again in 2020 if it meant he gets that protection?

Agree he also may have the SC to back him up on arresting a sitting president. It makes him dangerous though I think. What stops would he pull out to win again in 2020 if it meant he gets that protection?

Good question.

Matthews is dreaming.

No, you're just misinformed as usual, from the article:
Matthews said Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump could be the “next dominoes to fall” in the investigation and could face prosecution and possible prison time.
Then, he speculated: [about resigning for immunity]

Clearly he posed it as a "if the next dominoes fall", and if they were facing criminal charges...Trump could resign to shield them all from justice.
So you claiming "they haven't been charged yet", is just all kinds of dumb right? I mean, he specifically provided you with words to the effect of "if his family is soon indicted".
But keep pointing out they haven't been indicted, that makes perfect sense in Trump-land...

Trump and his campaign are as swampy and dirty as they come. Filled with felons and schemes, lies and obstruction. Just a matter of time.

Trump will indeed resign sometime next year and will cite phony "health reasons" as the cause of it . The entire time he will deny he did anything wrong and will go to his grave decrying the witch hunt that conspired against him.

Just like Nixon in Watergate, it will be the secret top Senate GOP defections that signal to him its time to get out of Dodge on our own before the townsfolk tar and feather you and ride you out on a rail.

Maybe he would try to save his darling Ivanka, because her breasts wouldn't look quite as good in an orange jumpsuit. And that would upset him. But for sure he won't try to save Junior and the dumb brother.

I don't know Tres - lots of people find breasts encased in an orange jump suit as very sexy. Of course, most of those who do also are in orange jump suits with breasts of their own.

Trump will indeed resign sometime next year and will cite phony "health reasons" as the cause of it . The entire time he will deny he did anything wrong and will go to his grave decrying the witch hunt that conspired against him.
Just like Nixon in Watergate, it will be the secret top Senate GOP defections that signal to him its time to get out of Dodge on our own before the townsfolk tar and feather you and ride you out on a rail.
Unlike Nixon he won't go quietly and fade into hsitory as the crook he is. He'll probably stay active in acting all things reasonable and decent about the U.S. from the sidelines, where he is more comfortable...you know, flinging poo.
I can just see it "I was president, I know how these guys are operating!"...as though he learned anything...ever...while in office.

Immunity from who? Mueller?

We can be damn sure NYS has a whole bunch of charges and fun waiting for Trump and his crime family once he leaves office. So if the immunity deal is from Mueller and the Feds. Will NYS sign on? I doubt it.

So no, I don't see him resigning.

I think thats really the only way it goes down. He will have a health crisis or something and then step down. But I would assume he would have gotten some protections from the feds ahead of time for that. He has run everything he touches like the mob. So he would go down the same way, by giving up some others who might be powerful.

Isn't Mr. Tingles forgetting about the pardon power of the POTUS?

Back
Top Bottom