• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Christie: homosexuality "not a sin"

Einzige

Elitist as Hell.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
There's already a thread in the Sex & Sexuality forum about the Governor's signing of the anti-gay conversion therapy bill, so there is, strictly speaking, probably no need for this thread. Uncommented on in that thread, however, was this aspect of Christie's statement, which I find much more pertinent than the legislation itself:

Gov. Chris Christie plans to sign a bill Monday barring licensed therapists from trying to turn gay teenagers straight, making New Jersey the second state to ban so-called conversion therapy, along with California.

The bill passed both houses of the New Jersey Legislature with bipartisan support in June. Assemblyman Tim Eustace, who sponsored the bill and is openly gay, described the therapy as “an insidious form of child abuse.”

Gay activists pushing the ban were uncertain what Christie would do.

In a signing note accompanying the bill that will be made public Monday, Christie said he believes people are born gay and that homosexuality is not a sin. That view is inconsistent with his Catholic faith.

This almost assuredly kills his chances in the 2016 primary, when the likes of Saint Santorum will flood the airwaves with ads extolling this 'proof positive' of Christie's Satanism and nogoodnikism. I look forward to it.

Goodbye CC. The GOTP has no use for you, you have some common sense.

He had no chance to get the nomination because he is a tax and spend RHINO with a Holier than thou attitude, unless of course you were referring to the democratic primary in your post.

There's already a thread in the Sex & Sexuality forum about the Governor's signing of the anti-gay conversion therapy bill, so there is, strictly speaking, probably no need for this thread. Uncommented on in that thread, however, was this aspect of Christie's statement, which I find much more pertinent than the legislation itself:

This almost assuredly kills his chances in the 2016 primary, when the likes of Saint Santorum will flood the airwaves with ads extolling this 'proof positive' of Christie's Satanism and nogoodnikism. I look forward to it.

Well, there's plenty of catholics who are pro-choice, and use birth control, so I doubt it will really have any effect in reality. People usually vote based on more than one issue.

He had no chance to get the nomination because he is a tax and spend RHINO with a Holier than thou attitude, unless of course you were referring to the democratic primary in your post.
If they have a chance of winning, the GOTP won't support them. Thank god for small favors.

If they have a chance of winning, the GOTP won't support them. Thank god for small favors.

Clinton won on the anti-reagan era vote; Bush won on the anti-Clinton vote; Obama won on the Anti-Bush vote. Don't kid yourself that the GOP won't win the next election just so long as they can find someone who won't offend the middle. That is not Christie.

Clinton won on the anti-reagan era vote; Bush won on the anti-Clinton vote; Obama won on the Anti-Bush vote. Don't kid yourself that the GOP won't win the next election just so long as they can find someone who won't offend the middle. That is not Christie.
I never kid about such things. And Obama should have had no chance last time. I do the math and I know the demographics. The GOTP has split the baby because neither side would give so now they both lose, just like they did in November, and they will continue to do so. They would rather be "right" than in power.

I never kid about such things. And Obama should have had no chance last time. I do the math and I know the demographics. The GOTP has split the baby because neither side would give so now they both lose, just like they did in November, and they will continue to do so. They would rather be "right" than in power.

And neither do I. I used to work with election targeting data for a living. That I do not get technical or academic in my posts does not mean that I am talking out my butthole. I have a basis for saying what I said. Re-election campaigns are not the same dynamic as no-incumbent elections. The dems will have the harder road in 2016.

And neither do I. I used to work with election targeting data for a living. That I do not get technical or academic in my posts does not mean that I am talking out my butthole. I have a basis for saying what I said. Re-election campaigns are not the same dynamic as no-incumbent elections. The dems will have the harder road in 2016.
I'm sure they will but the numbers and trends are going their way, not the least of which is the fact that the GOP can't find its butt with both hands. The Party of No is not a winner in America.

I'm sure they will but the numbers and trends are going their way, not the least of which is the fact that the GOP can't find it's butt with both hands. The Party of No is not a winner in America.

Clearly since they control the House and most of the states they are utter failure. Here is a clue: do not rely on MSNBC or the democratic underground for your information.

Clearly since they control the House and most of the states they are utter failure. Here is a clue: do not rely on MSNBC or the democratic underground for your information.
I rely on neither so you are excused.

Regardless of demographic trends?

I rely on neither so you are excused.

Well you are not. Anybody who throws out a Rachel Maddow line about the GOP being in ruins and unelectable who wants to have a serious conversation about the GOP in 2016 should rethink how they want to present that.

Well you are not. Anybody who throws out a Rachel Maddow line about the GOP being in ruins and unelectable who wants to have a serious conversation about the GOP in 2016 should rethink how they want to present that.
It's not line from her. I was watching US politics when she was watching Sesame Street. There is no candidate the right will approve of that can win the middle and the left anymore. They are that reactionary. It's why Obama won, twice.

1. The people that this is most likely to drive away are already not likely Christie voters. The actual damage to a potential campaign is much less than one would think. Christie's biggest problem is that he alienated his own natural base (the party structure itself) in 2012 by screwing over it's chosen candidate Romney, and again in 2013 by protecting himself from challenge by making it harder to win over Senate. Christie maintains the fact that he is generally trustworthy (in that he speaks his mind), and has hard-earned creds in getting tough reforms done.

2. However, playing the advocate, so at this point, if Christie isn't angling for the President Slot for GOP....

does he want VP under Hillary?

Regardless of demographic trends?

Which demographic trends are you speaking of-- The ones that allowed a white republican to hold onto a House seat in a minority majority, democratic leaning congressional district in New Mexico for far too long because Hispanics do not vote in numbers proportional to their population or because centrist can be easily swayed by advertising dollars that said person had dump trucks full of, especially when they are negative ads?

at least his state isn't a moocher state like Paul's is ...

It's not line from her. I watching US politics when she was watching Sesame Street. There is no candidate the right will approve of that can win the middle and the left anymore. They are that reactionary. It's why Obama won, twice.

:lol: Obama won twice against men whom the right didn't approve of. In 2008, though, Obama won on the anti-Bush vote, it had little to do with McCain.

:lol: Obama won twice against men whom the right didn't approve of. In 2008, though, Obama won on the anti-Bush vote, it had little to do with McCain.
Had he been running against who the right approved of, he would have won by that much more.

...In a signing note accompanying the bill that will be made public Monday, Christie said he believes people are born gay and that homosexuality is not a sin. That view is inconsistent with his Catholic faith...

it is also worth noting that this portion of the OP is false. Catholicism does not hold that homosexuality itself is sinful any more than any other temptation is sinful - it holds that homosexual acts are sinful.

Which demographic trends are you speaking of-- The ones that allowed a white republican to hold onto a House seat in a minority majority, democratic leaning congressional district in New Mexico for far too long because Hispanics do not vote in numbers proportional to their population or because centrist can be easily swayed by advertising dollars that said person had dump trucks full of, especially when they are negative ads?

I think you know what they are or you haven't been paying attention, but just in case it's the latter, a couple of examples ... Latinas/os acounted for over 50% of the population growth between 2000 and 2010 and they voted over 70% Dem ... young women voted overwhelmingly for Dem, and they will be around longer than older GOP female supporters and it is they who will be raising, disproportionately, future Dem voters ...

Had he been running against who the right approved of, he would have won by that much more.

So you abandon your previous claim that Obama won because he was running against people of whom the right approved?

it is also worth noting that this portion of the OP is false. Catholicism does not hold that homosexuality itself is sinful any more than any other temptation is sinful - it holds that homosexual acts are sinful.

so is prolonged kissing prior to marriage ... masturbation too ... actually, I was raised Catholic and my recollection is that virtually anything that felt good was a sin ...

Back
Top Bottom