• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Christie: homosexuality "not a sin"

Well, there's plenty of catholics who are pro-choice, and use birth control, so I doubt it will really have any effect in reality. People usually vote based on more than one issue.

Exactly, catholics, not Catholics.

There's already a thread in the Sex & Sexuality forum about the Governor's signing of the anti-gay conversion therapy bill, so there is, strictly speaking, probably no need for this thread. Uncommented on in that thread, however, was this aspect of Christie's statement, which I find much more pertinent than the legislation itself:

This almost assuredly kills his chances in the 2016 primary, when the likes of Saint Santorum will flood the airwaves with ads extolling this 'proof positive' of Christie's Satanism and nogoodnikism. I look forward to it.

Last year he vetoed gay marriage passed by the N.J. legislature and only pursued this after his Democrat opponent's gay daughter blasted him in June of this year for not supporting the bill about "gay conversion therapy."

So now REV. CHRISTIE is preaching what is and isn't "sin?" He really is a desperate joke.

This is OUTSTANDING. I have been advocating for this alteration for years. California has this law in effect, barring counselors from practicing conversion therapy for minors (and remaining licensed). Since conversion therapy has been shown to be dangerous and harmful in lots of cases, and treats something that is not a disorder, this is long overdue.

As far as Christie goes, when he was first elected, I stated on this very website that I would do everything in my power to get him removed in the next NJ election. With that election coming close, I will probably be voting FOR him. His handling of Hurricane Sandy was excellent and though there are somethings I disagree with him about, overall, he has been a good administrator. He has changed my mind.

Last edited:
There's already a thread in the Sex & Sexuality forum about the Governor's signing of the anti-gay conversion therapy bill, so there is, strictly speaking, probably no need for this thread. Uncommented on in that thread, however, was this aspect of Christie's statement, which I find much more pertinent than the legislation itself:

This almost assuredly kills his chances in the 2016 primary, when the likes of Saint Santorum will flood the airwaves with ads extolling this 'proof positive' of Christie's Satanism and nogoodnikism. I look forward to it.

I hope the republican party will come to it's senses and realize that nominating a candidate based on the wish list of people like Santorum is as good as loosing the election before one vote is even cast. Polls clearly show support for same sex marriages and most views about social issues are very much centrist and choosing a candidate that has the support of people like Santorum is close to a kiss of political death/suicide.

Great, but how then can he defend vetoing the SSM bill? I actually don't think it kills his chances any more than Obama's support for gay rights killed his, but you never know with the republican primary. After they booed the gay soldier, even this very limited statement of opinion might be beyond the pale to them.

Of course this statement is true: "Christie said he believes people are born gay and that homosexuality is not a sin. That view is inconsistent with his Catholic faith."
Possibly the new Pope will change that. But I really do not see how he could. On the other hand, it seems ok, if people feel strongly about something? Why should they vote for someone whose views they think wrong? And personally, I think it stupid of a politician to say something so evidently technically incorrect. Had he said he has a problem with the Pope, Catholicism or God? Fine.

I guess we watched two different campaigns and elections CP ... just out of curiosity -- Did you predict Obama would win both times?

No. I predicted he would win in 2008 (and was glad that he did, actually), and said that it was too close technically to call but if I had to make a choice it would be Romney in 2012. I agree I underestimated the 2012 ability to turn out the same base that came out in 2008 - The Victory Lab does an excellent job of putting together how they pulled that off. I agree that many of the supporters probably felt it was extraordinary - there is a real cult of personality going on, there, though it's degraded somewhat in the light of him having to (as little as possible) make actual decisions. 2012 was less about thrills up legs and more about defending ones' choices.

No. I predicted he would win in 2008 (and was glad that he did, actually), and said that it was too close technically to call but if I had to make a choice it would be Romney in 2012. I agree I underestimated the 2012 ability to turn out the same base that came out in 2008 - The Victory Lab does an excellent job of putting together how they pulled that off. I agree that many of the supporters probably felt it was extraordinary - there is a real cult of personality going on, there, though it's degraded somewhat in the light of him having to (as little as possible) make actual decisions. 2012 was less about thrills up legs and more about defending ones' choices.

theories abound about how it happened, but in the end Obama won and I think that the Dems are in a better position to win (although there's still a long way to go) in 2016 principally because the GOP has written off or alienated important segments of the population - segments that are younger and faster growing than the segments the GOP appeals to ... the GOP thinks that the problem is that they're doing a poor job of getting their message out and I think it's because their message is all too clear, and the GOP, the House GOP in particular, has been too transparent in showing that their number one priority, as McConnell famously said, is to prevent Obama from succeeding ... party before country is more than a slogan ... but we'll see, won't we? ... the irony is that at the end of the day it's the corporation and super rich who get the goodies ... the rest of us get screwed ... at least the Dem Party calls you in the morning and sends you flowers ... but either way you're screwed, and not in a good way ... and so it goes :(

You know, maybe if he does convert I will have someone to vote for next time. But he has quite a ways to go.

theories abound about how it happened, but in the end Obama won and I think that the Dems are in a better position to win (although there's still a long way to go) in 2016 principally because the GOP has written off or alienated important segments of the population - segments that are younger and faster growing than the segments the GOP appeals to ... the GOP thinks that the problem is that they're doing a poor job of getting their message out and I think it's because their message is all too clear, and the GOP, the House GOP in particular, has been too transparent in showing that their number one priority, as McConnell famously said, is to prevent Obama from succeeding ... party before country is more than a slogan ... but we'll see, won't we? ... the irony is that at the end of the day it's the corporation and super rich who get the goodies ... the rest of us get screwed ... at least the Dem Party calls you in the morning and sends you flowers ... but either way you're screwed, and not in a good way ... and so it goes :(

Yeah. They've done the "oh but young people are voting democrat" thing since Reagan smashed Mondale. You know what happens as people age, get married, and have kids? They become more conservative :).

As for the Dems calling you in the morning, you may want to check on that.

Yeah. They've done the "oh but young people are voting democrat" thing since Reagan smashed Mondale. You know what happens as people age, get married, and have kids? They become more conservative :).

As for the Dems calling you in the morning, you may want to check on that.

as I said, we'll see ... have a good one (and btw, the "calling you in the morning" is what cons call too many government handouts to poor, working-class, and middle-class people -- cons prefer wealthfare over welfare) ... :2wave:

another btw ... be careful comparing the U.S. in the 80s to the U.S. in 2016 ...

I hope it does kill his candidacy, I can't stand CC.

This isn't bhudism we don't get our religious doctrine from a fat man.

The Republican Party base is making it difficult to expand beyond megachurches that may be located in the northeast, into the northeast. Of course, if there was a Republican I am generally interested in, it is those northeastern Republicans and many (not nearly close to all) portions of those "compassionate conservative" Bush-sorts.

I never kid about such things. And Obama should have had no chance last time. I do the math and I know the demographics. The GOTP has split the baby because neither side would give so now they both lose, just like they did in November, and they will continue to do so. They would rather be "right" than in power.

Good. Better than being wrong and in power. We see where that's taken us. Maybe if they want to be right and in power they'll stop playing party ball and start adhering to the People and the constraints of the Constitution.

Republocrats....different day, same story.

Good for him. Good for him that he also supports at least some domestic benefits for same-sex couples (at least in NJ). Now hopefully he doesn't backslide like all the other GOP candidates for president in recent history have on these issues.

Good. Better than being wrong and in power. We see where that's taken us. Maybe if they want to be right and in power they'll stop playing party ball and start adhering to the People and the constraints of the Constitution.

Republocrats....different day, same story.
It's your loss, literally.

It's your loss, literally.

No it's not. Republican or Democrat it doesn't matter, Republocrats do the same thing. Obama isn't any different than Bush. So why am I loosing if one status quo supporting statist loses out to another status quo supporting statist? Want my vote? Quit being a status quo endorsing statist.

No it's not. Republican or Democrat it doesn't matter, Republocrats do the same thing. Obama isn't any different than Bush. So why am I loosing if one status quo supporting statist loses out to another status quo supporting statist? Want my vote? Quit being a status quo endorsing statist.
Your vote is for nothing apparently.

Your vote is for nothing apparently.

it's for not the same ol' BS we've been getting decade after decade. Some folk are just caught in a rut and bamboozled into thinking they have to support the Republocrats and that supporting the Republocrats will somehow change the long standing actions taken by the Republocrats.

First of all I don't know whether to laugh at this or cry. Here is a candidate regardless how you feel about his political ideology, he has just said something, that should be obvious and correct and common sense, basically translates to ..."Hey people, accept your children for who they are and love and nurture them and most of all don't torture them just because their sexual identity is different for your expectations!!!"

but somehow just by asking "Hey parents not to torture your children, he has killed all chances of running as GOP republican nominee. If that doesn't you make vomit when you hear the Name Republicans I don't what will.

Secondly come the primarytime he could just do a Romney...basically back paddle and negate anything has ever done or said, and by some miracle he could actually win the primary. Which would beg the question....who the Frack is actually stupid enough to vote for these people...Seriously... you have this candidate who without hesitation and with straight face do a 180 on every policy, comments he has ever made or done, and people still vote for him...

Now....this should definitely make you vomit if you haven't done so already!

Diving Mullah

it's for not the same ol' BS we've been getting decade after decade. Some folk are just caught in a rut and bamboozled into thinking they have to support the Republocrats and that supporting the Republocrats will somehow change the long standing actions taken by the Republocrats.
In America we have Team A and Team B, pick one? If you don't then you can always be right but you will never be in power. As long as you are happy as the backseat driver knock yourself out. but the rest of us have places go and you, are just along for the ride.

In America we have Team A and Team B, pick one? If you don't then you can always be right but you will never be in power. As long as you are happy as the backseat driver knock yourself out. but the rest of us have places go and you, are just along for the ride.

If Team A and Team B are the same team, there's nothing to pick from. And it's not Team A or Team B, there's more candidates. Enjoy supporting the status quo and pretending you're changing anything. Just don't bitch when it all stays the same. You know what you're doing.

If Team A and Team B are the same team, there's nothing to pick from. And it's not Team A or Team B, there's more candidates. Enjoy supporting the status quo and pretending you're changing anything. Just don't bitch when it all stays the same. You know what you're doing.
Changing anything? Now why would anyone want to do that? The game is rigged for the powers that be, and they like it that way.

Changing anything? Now why would anyone want to do that? The game is rigged for the powers that be, and they like it that way.

Indeed it is, I just don't want to play in the house's favor. So I'm on the margin. I understand what I'm doing, but I have no other choice but to do it. Bowing out of the game also plays to the hand of the house.

Back
Top Bottom