• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cholesterol

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My doctor wants to test my cholesterol -- do one of those comprehensive blood tests that checks for that as well as a myriad of other things. I don't want to have that comprehensive test done.

I want to be as "compliant" as I can, so I'm thinking I will tell her she can check my cholesterol, but nothing else.

In your experience, do you think my doctor will do that? Or will she chalk me up as noncompliant and not want to be my doctor anymore?

I would say that he/she would do that, if you request it, and if he/she won't comply with your wishes, I'd find another doctor. Is there a reason you don't want the others run? Are they wanting only a lipid panel, or a complete chemistry panel?

I would say that he/she would do that, if you request it, and if he/she won't comply with your wishes, I'd find another doctor. Is there a reason you don't want the others run? Are they wanting only a lipid panel, or a complete chemistry panel?

I don't know what the name of the test is. I have some serious health history and really want to avoid doctors as much as possible....just because. I have to go to three different doctors every six months for check-ups...I just think that's enough. Background: Every time I've gone for an ultra-sound (as an example) for one specific check-up, the ultra-sound has revealed other problems that need to be diagnosed...none of which have been anything but red herrings. But more tests...more worry...etc. I don't like tests.

Frankly, I don't care how my liver/kidneys etc are functioning. If you want to see if I need cholesterol medicine, check for that, is my thought. She'd said last time (I avoided the test because I hadn't fasted and was supposed to stop back in for it and didn't) that, if anything was out of the ordinary, she'd call and have me come in. I don't want to go in. If I feel good (other than high blood pressure and maybe cholesterol), I'm willing to take my chances.

Don't know if that makes sense, but it's probably the best way I can explain it. Thanks sincerely for answering, Lizzie. I appreciate it.

Liver and cholesterol go hand in hand if I remember correctly....

I am not fond of doctors. At all. But I've come to realize that sometimes knowing is better than not knowing.

I am not fond of doctors. At all. But I've come to realize that sometimes knowing is better than not knowing.

That's what everyone tells me. Ha! If I was on that side of the fence, I'd go in a heartbeat -- if something was wrong and it bothered me, I'd have it checked in a heartbeat. What I don't like are fishing expeditions.

I don't know what the name of the test is. I have some serious health history and really want to avoid doctors as much as possible....just because. I have to go to three different doctors every six months for check-ups...I just think that's enough. Background: Every time I've gone for an ultra-sound (as an example) for one specific check-up, the ultra-sound has revealed other problems that need to be diagnosed...none of which have been anything but red herrings. But more tests...more worry...etc. I don't like tests.

Frankly, I don't care how my liver/kidneys etc are functioning. If you want to see if I need cholesterol medicine, check for that, is my thought. She'd said last time (I avoided the test because I hadn't fasted and was supposed to stop back in for it and didn't) that, if anything was out of the ordinary, she'd call and have me come in. I don't want to go in. If I feel good (other than high blood pressure and maybe cholesterol), I'm willing to take my chances.

Don't know if that makes sense, but it's probably the best way I can explain it. Thanks sincerely for answering, Lizzie. I appreciate it.

I don't really blame you, Maggie. In this day and time, there is so much information out there in the "system", and no matter what we are told about HIPPA and privacy rights, I believe it's bull****. If I were you, and wanted to keep it simple, I would pay out cash, have my test, and leave it at that. I have legitimate reasons for that.

That's what everyone tells me. Ha! If I was on that side of the fence, I'd go in a heartbeat -- if something was wrong and it bothered me, I'd have it checked in a heartbeat. What I don't like are fishing expeditions.

A basic panel isn't usually a fishing expedition. It can, however, detect things before they become a major problem. But I don't blame you at all, if it ain't broke....

My doctor wants to test my cholesterol -- do one of those comprehensive blood tests that checks for that as well as a myriad of other things. I don't want to have that comprehensive test done.

I want to be as "compliant" as I can, so I'm thinking I will tell her she can check my cholesterol, but nothing else.

In your experience, do you think my doctor will do that? Or will she chalk me up as noncompliant and not want to be my doctor anymore?

There's nothing wrong with having the test done Maggie - it's always good to know rather than not know - what remains in your hands totally is what you do with the results, whether you agree with any treatment suggested or not.

As for the cholesterol stuff, I personally got a bad reading about 15 years ago and the doctor suggested I go on medication, however, the medication is a lifetime thing and there are side effects that can be worse than the treatment so I decided not to - I haven't had the test done since, but I have changed some things in my life or tried to, as a result of the test long ago, and those natural and naturopathic methods have likely helped although I can't say for sure.

Bottom line, the knowing part is good - it gives you options going forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you don't want the additional tests for two reasons

1) You're concerned that they'll find something wrong with you when there really isn't (a false positive) and,

2) You're concerned that they'll find something wrong with you and be right about it

IMO, let them do the tests. If the tests come back saying you've got a problem, then worry about second-guessing them

Your physician wants to do a lab test for a specific, good reason ( I assume). You are at the age, r have the risk factors, or otherwise would potentially beneifit from a cholesterol panel.

You, on the other hand, do not want this because of a fuzzy reason you cant articulate.

When one person has a solid good reason, and on the other side, the other person does not, I'll go with the solid thinking one all the time.

CBC is a complete blood check -- which checks your red blood cells, white blood cells, neutrophils, etc.. basically all the components of your blood ensuring they are in proper values to rule out active infection, leukemia, or other major problems. This is ALWAYS run with blood workd.

CMP is a Comprehensive metabolic Panel -- which as the name sounds is a full array of your metabolic function.

In this test your organ function, ie: liver enzymes, kidney byproducts are tested (e.g.: ALB, ALK, ALT, BUN, Creatinine, etc..)
It has more tests than this -- but essentially it is checking your electrolytes, organ function and so on. This is quite routine as well. If this comes back normal, then you are in quite good health overall.

Fasting Lipid Panel is checking your triglycerides. Ever heard of cholesterol? This is essentially the test for it. It is checking your HDL, LDL, and free fatty acids in your blood. High density , and Low density phospholipids and so forth -- which are an accumulation of the fats found in your blood... which we need to survive.. fasting simply means it has been 8-12 hours since you've eaten to get a more accurate result.

IF you decide Not to have the Other tests, ask your Dr. for A lipid test only, its cholesterol, LDL- which is Bad Cholesterol,
Hdl, which is good cholesterol and your tryglycerides and cholesterol number-- I am Not sure if they can only ck those 4 things, call &
ask his nurse or any medical clinic where you get your blood work taken. Whatever You decide, good luck :)

Correct! Your liver produces cholesterol and in people with very high cholesterol it tends to be from their own liver rather than dietary cholesterol.

But baby girl, sometimes you feel great - until you don't. Better to know than to not know.

OK, so. I saw the doctor today and agreed to only get a cholesterol check. And then, she explained that she'd have to check my liver because I might have to take cholesterol medicine, so she'd have to check function. And then she explained that she had to check my kidneys because I've been on a diuretic for BP for 2 years. So, damn it, I agreed to check cholesterol, kidney and liver function. ****. (I have no reason to believe anything is wrong, but it pisses me off to look for trouble.)

OK, then. She said they had to do an echo because of the NEW BP medicine she's just placed me on. Said that if something comes up weird, she can't prescribe the one she wants to -- which she prescribed today. So in two weeks I'll have an echo.

I hate doctors.

Thanks for all of your advice. I really do appreciate it.

That's good, Maggie. <hug> You are just afraid of what they'll find. You'll feel better when it's over, and everything comes back clear. I'm the same way.

OK, so. I saw the doctor today and agreed to only get a cholesterol check. And then, she explained that she'd have to check my liver because I might have to take cholesterol medicine, so she'd have to check function. And then she explained that she had to check my kidneys because I've been on a diuretic for BP for 2 years. So, damn it, I agreed to check cholesterol, kidney and liver function. ****. (I have no reason to believe anything is wrong, but it pisses me off to look for trouble.)

OK, then. She said they had to do an echo because of the NEW BP medicine she's just placed me on. Said that if something comes up weird, she can't prescribe the one she wants to -- which she prescribed today. So in two weeks I'll have an echo.

I hate doctors.

Thanks for all of your advice. I really do appreciate it.

Well, I went to a doctor today, and she wants to put me on all this crap that I don't need for a temporary problem. I had to tell her "whoa Nellie" a couple of times. She wants me on an antidepressant and an anti-anxiety drug, to which my response was that I prefer to work out the issues, rather than mask the symptoms. She wanted to put me on a freaking beta blocker because my heart rate was in the 90's for Chrissake. My heart rate was in the 90's, because I was so freaking stressed out to be in a doctor's office. So, anyway, I will be the dutiful patient, and go get my battery of labs done tomorrow, then when the numbers come back, take things from there. I love the woman, really I do, but I don't want a pill for every freaking issue.

I love people that don't give a damn about their health. You say you have to go to the doctors twice a year, why go? Why not start smoking crack? If you knew how gut wrenching death by liver disease is you may change your mind. A doctor can't force you to do anything but you need to mature and face facts if you are not as healthy as some are either get off your ass and do something. I know for a fact there hare people on their death beds wishing they would have had some tests done but they just didn't WANT to. Had a mammogram lately?

What I don't like are fishing expeditions.

An interesting outcome of the (primarily) third-party payment system for health care in America and abroad is an increase in the numbers of tests being run. Many doctors have flat out admitted that they try to run as many tests on as many machines as possible because it increases the likelihood of getting payment from the insurance companies. For example, some theories suggest that cancer prevalence has not increased nearly as much as some studies suggest simply because there is so much more testing for it. As you have said, the more tests that are run, the more likely it is to find something "wrong." Furthermore, with the enormous kickbacks from pharmaceuticals, I don't blame you one bit for wanting to avoid most doctors.

There is, however, some light at the end of the tunnel. More and more doctors are beginning to refuse to take insurance of any type. This might seem a little crazy at first, but the motive is entirely beneficial. Doctors who do not take insurance have more time to spend on preventive care and getting to know their patients. They can dictate their own hours and operating conditions. They can charge MUCH lower fees. In other words, they can get back to what made Western medicine so wonderful. Obviously it is still wise to retain high-risk insurance for things like heart surgery, but insurance for every single doctor visit is simply ridiculous. It's almost like using car insurance to change your oil.

Maggie, for many years docts had been telling me that I needed a full physical with bloodwork, and I kept putting it off, over and over again. Eventually I was feeling so bad, I felt like I had to do it.

Turns out, I had 6 issues, all that were correctable with medication, exercise and diet. All the really dreaded stuff, like organ funtions, were A-OK.

I had suffered long boughts of depression and a lack of energy and stamina for years. After going on the medications, like 6 new ones plus changing my blood pressure medication, and getting a minor surgery (turbanate reduction), I feel like a new person. The depression is 99% gone, I'm not exercizing five days a week, I lost 30 pounds almost effortlessly, I'm growing (or at least attempting to) my business again, and generally getting much more done.

I actually look forward to my doctors visits now, and go every 3 months for a minor checkup, prescription refill, and bloodwork. I look forward because my health is getting better and better. The doc keeps telling me that I will never feel like 25 again, but I keep insisting that I will (have to). I've actually already gone off of two of the medications (thyroid and diabetes), I simply don't need them anymore. After three months on thyroid medicine, my thyroid started functioning normally again. After a year of weightloss and better diet, I no longer need the diabetes medication. And between the weight loss and turbinate reduction, I no longer have sleep apnea, nor do I have frequent colds and sinus infections.

By the way, my doc is one of those who doesn't accept insurance. A basic doctors visit is $50, and for about another $180 I can get fairly extensive blood testing. Also, the doc has a little book that lists the prices of different drugs at different pharmacies around town, so she can point me in the direction of the best prices for each medication.

Last edited:
Great responses here. And thanks to all.

Just thought I'd post an update. I explained my reluctance to my doctor, and, while she wanted to do the comprehensive test, she agreed to just do cholesterol, liver and kidney function. They all turned out fine.

Great responses here. And thanks to all.

Just thought I'd post an update. I explained my reluctance to my doctor, and, while she wanted to do the comprehensive test, she agreed to just do cholesterol, liver and kidney function. They all turned out fine.

I have decided that it must be in the job description of doctors, to worry about us, and try to over-prescribe- just in case. :lol:

The liver is the source of cholesterol. Liver function is an important aspect of dealing with heart disease. I've been through two bypass surgeries and even a cancer surgery. So I too have to get scans and checkups for all that stuff and I'm not fond of it either. Better to have the information and better for the doctors to have it.

Back
Top Bottom