• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Choices in the auto market

FederalRepublic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
20130826_175037sm.jpgSome might not think this belongs in the general political forum, but I would like an explanation as to why Europeans have so many more choices available to them in the automobile market. The reason I bring this up--I recently rented a Ford Mondeo diesel with a 6-speed manual transmission in the UK and it chaps my ass that I can't buy one in the states. It ticks every box I have for a daily driver. Reasonable performance, good handling, nice ride, roomy, well-equipped, 45+ mpg. I would go to a ford dealer and make a trade on one tomorrow. I'm fairly confident the EPA is the target of my rage, but it could also be the NHTSA for all I know. I hate them both right now...

View attachment 67153175Some might not think this belongs in the general political forum, but I would like an explanation as to why Europeans have so many more choices available to them in the automobile market. The reason I bring this up--I recently rented a Ford Mondeo diesel with a 6-speed manual transmission in the UK and it chaps my ass that I can't buy one in the states. It ticks every box I have for a daily driver. Reasonable performance, good handling, nice ride, roomy, well-equipped, 45+ mpg. I would go to a ford dealer and make a trade on one tomorrow. I'm fairly confident the EPA is the target of my rage, but it could also be the NHTSA for all I know. I hate them both right now...

In the late 60s, GM realized that establishing hardline EPA, DOT and crash standards would eliminate about 95% of their foreign competition given the HUGE number of small, independent manufacturers PLUS the new generation FORD and Chrysler motors couldn't meet those standards. While the campaign succeeded for GM's goals, With that, GM shifted to supporting such increasingly intense regulations. It lead to 20 years of the most horrible design and functioning cars and, in my opinion, the rise of the Japanese and European comeback.

The reason few foreign import models now make it to the USA is due to Federal standards.

Back
Top Bottom