• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chocolate is really not that good for you.

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Anyone else notice how chocolate appears in so many diet products? If not, just go check your local drug store, Target, Wal-Mart...hell any store that sells them.

Seems like about 90% of "diet aids" are made out of some combination of chocolate. Which leads me to ask, hasn't anyone also noticed it seems more difficult to lose weight when eating this stuff?

Ever since that report came out that "chocolate" is "good for you" more and more products are appearing with chocolate in them. Of course, the report really focused on a specific type of chocolate..."DARK" unsweetend chocolate, and points out "limited use" is healthy. Seems like product manufactureres and consumers overlook that little fact.

Chocolate is a confection, a sweetened product...when you eat some you crave to eat more! Little wonder so-called "health food" companies make so many products with it. They fly off the shelves!! People think it is healthy, buy it, consume it like candy, then go buy some more. Smaller wonder those who do this are not losing weight.

Besides this, we make addicts out of our children. Again, take a good look at the "candy" selections, especially those closest to the cash registers where stores place the best "impulse buys" for consumers to see while waiting in line. Chocolate candies makes up the bulk of available products. Does this contribute to childhood obesity?

It makes me wonder just how reliable those "studies" really are, because they remind me of the ones Tobacco companies used to use to increase sales. NOW we know how THAT turned out don't we?

Last edited:
American chocolate is crap.

Did anyone really think chocolate was health food?

I will continue to include it in my diet regardless. Anything in excess is likely bad for you, and moderation seems to be the key.

1. According to a study conducted at Cornell University, the antioxidant concentration in hot cocoa is almost twice as strong as red wine. Cocoa's concentration was two to three times stronger than that of green tea and four to five times stronger than that of black tea.

2. Professor Chang Yong Lee, the leader of the Cornell study, added that the "hot" in "hot chocolate" is important as well. More antioxidants are released when it's heated up.

3. A cup of hot cocoa contains 611 milligrams of the phenolic compound gallic acid equivalents (GAE) and 564 milligrams of the flavonoid epicatechin equivalents (ECE). The antioxidant gallic acid is used to treat internal hemorrhages, albuminuria (the presence of albumin in the urine, which can indicate kidney disease) and diabetes.

4. Although a regular bar of chocolate has strong antioxidant activity, the health benefits may be outweighed because of the saturated fats present — cocoa generally has much less fat per serving compared to the 8 grams of fat in a standard chocolate bar.

5. The flavonoids help your body process nitric oxide, which is why hot cocoa can improve blood flow, help lower your blood pressure and improve heart health.

6. The flavonoids in hot chocolate also help prevent platelets in your blood from mingling together and forming clots.
7 health benefits of drinking hot cocoa | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Replace chocolate with strawberries.

Every positive thing chocolate can do to your body can be done with strawberries, especially in the antioxidants and exfoliants department. Also, the "happy hormones" released from the consumption of strawberries are of the same level.

Replace chocolate with strawberries.

Every positive thing chocolate can do to your body can be done with strawberries, especially in the antioxidants and exfoliants department. Also, the "happy hormones" released from the consumption of strawberries are of the same level.

Not quite true, chocolate also contains a very effective cough suppressant. And no seeds in chocolate. Quite a difference in observable effect. Replace a person's chocolate with strawberries and you're likely to get your ass kicked. The other way around and you're more likely to come out like the hero.

i don't eat chocolate for health, unless is is a part of a protein bar. i eat chocolate for fun, albeit not very much of it.

honestly, i even eat protein bars because they are basically cookies or candy bars with less calories / sugar and more protein. the cookie dough balance bar and most clif bars are awesome. i basically found healthier versions of stuff i liked to eat when i was fat, and i eat them in limited amounts.

i have read some of the "dark chocolate is a miracle food" stuff, but i don't really care. i don't like dark chocolate as much as i like milk chocolate.

This little piece of Dove dark chocolate that I am sitting here eating with my coffee, is pretty darn good. :lol:

That is the sugar talking to you. :2wave:

American chocolate is crap.

No, it is not. Some of the best chocolate in the world is made in America. Come here to Seattle and taste Theo, or go to Chester, NJ, of all places, and visit J.Emmanuel on Main Street.

This is he same as with beer: Sure, the mass-produced watery stuff is crap. But we also have superb brew houses, all over the country.

This is like saying that there's no great architecture in Russia, because all the Soviet-era crumbling termite-houses are so ugly.

Somehow, all other countries are judged by the best their cultures have to offer, and America is judged by the worst - or the "most mediocre"...

(Self-inflicted, to some extent, no doubt: our own fault, for example, if the reading public abroad perceives America of this day as the land of Anne Rice and Stephen King, not John Irving and Cormac McCarthy)

P.S. As for chocolate being a "health food" - yes, it is: just don't insult it with an overload of sugar, and eat it like everything else - in moderation.

Every positive thing chocolate can do to your body can be done with strawberries, especially in the antioxidants and exfoliants department.

Raspberries should be even better as exfoliants.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

You can eat whatever you want, just don't eat a lot of it. Probably adding in some of what you enjoy instead of just what you need makes the transition from eating more to eating less a bit easier.

There's nothing wrong with chocolate in its more natural forms - the less sweetened, obviously the better. Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and helps reduce blood pressure and increases blood flow to the brain - all good things.

Like anything, however, bastardized in its commercially overproduced form, it becomes far less beneficial and if you eat scads of it the resultant weight gain outweighs the health benefits.

People in today's first world societies should reintroduce themselves to the word "moderation" - it's magic in all aspects of life.

You can eat whatever you want, just don't eat a lot of it. Probably adding in some of what you enjoy instead of just what you need makes the transition from eating more to eating less a bit easier.

this.

although i do admit to avoiding some foods almost entirely.

examples :

milk shakes. just too calorie dense, and too little payoff. plus, like i'm going to have three sips of a milkshake and then stop.

the Admiral's Feast at Red Lobster. great payoff, but like i'm only going to have part of it and take the rest home. and not have three cheddar bay biscuits and a jack and coke on the side. and then another cheddar bay biscuit.

this.

although i do admit to avoiding some foods almost entirely.

examples :

milk shakes. just too calorie dense, and too little payoff. plus, like i'm going to have three sips of a milkshake and then stop.

the Admiral's Feast at Red Lobster. great payoff, but like i'm only going to have part of it and take the rest home. and not have three cheddar bay biscuits and a jack and coke on the side. and then another cheddar bay biscuit.

man, i really am the dry drunk of dieting.

lol

Anyone else notice how chocolate appears in so many diet products? If not, just go check your local drug store, Target, Wal-Mart...hell any store that sells them.

Seems like about 90% of "diet aids" are made out of some combination of chocolate. Which leads me to ask, hasn't anyone also noticed it seems more difficult to lose weight when eating this stuff?

Ever since that report came out that "chocolate" is "good for you" more and more products are appearing with chocolate in them. Of course, the report really focused on a specific type of chocolate..."DARK" unsweetend chocolate, and points out "limited use" is healthy. Seems like product manufactureres and consumers overlook that little fact.

Chocolate is a confection, a sweetened product...when you eat some you crave to eat more! Little wonder so-called "health food" companies make so many products with it. They fly off the shelves!! People think it is healthy, buy it, consume it like candy, then go buy some more. Smaller wonder those who do this are not losing weight.

Besides this, we make addicts out of our children. Again, take a good look at the "candy" selections, especially those closest to the cash registers where stores place the best "impulse buys" for consumers to see while waiting in line. Chocolate candies makes up the bulk of available products. Does this contribute to childhood obesity?

It makes me wonder just how reliable those "studies" really are, because they remind me of the ones Tobacco companies used to use to increase sales. NOW we know how THAT turned out don't we?

Chocolate may not be health food for me, but it's healthier for you if I have some..... :wink:

That is the sugar talking to you. :2wave:

I think it's the deep dark delicious chocolate speaking to me. If all I wanted was sugar, I could scoop up a big spoonful of the organic demerara cane sugar that I use in my coffee. :mrgreen:

Well - it's not 'the chocolate' it's the 'cocoa phenol' that lowers blood pressure. . . they flub the lines with the 'findings' if it pushes a product.

But even considering - I don't like chocolate all that much, I avoid it - and I"m still a fat ****.

It's because bitches are always on a diet, and bitches love chocolate. Two things bitches love. I get chocolate for my bitches all the time. :)

It's because bitches are always on a diet, and bitches love chocolate. Two things bitches love. I get chocolate for my bitches all the time. :)

Is that the "video bitches," or the "mansion bitches?" Ahh, prolly all yo "bitches." :)

Thanks, that comment cracked me up. LOL

Back
Top Bottom