• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chinese student sentenced to a year in prison for taking photos of naval base

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From CNN

(CNN)A 20-year-old Chinese student was sentenced to a year in federal prison after he pleaded guilty to illegally taking pictures at a key US defense intelligence facility in Florida.

A federal judge in Key West gave Zhao Qianli the maximum sentence after his guilty plea on Tuesday of one count of photographing defense installations.

Zhao's attorney, Hongwei Shang, declined comment to CNN when reached by phone Wednesday evening.

According to court documents, Zhao entered the Joint Interagency Task Force South military property, located on Naval Air Station Key West, on September 26 without permission "by circumnavigating the installation's primary fence line, and entering the military property from the beach."

COMMENT:-

Using good photo enhancement technology, you can get really neat pictures of the Joint Interagency Task Force South facilities off Google Maps.

PS - Don't you think that the military's fence should be just a tiny bit more difficult to "circumnavigate"?

PPS - Did the lawyers realize that if someone "circumnavigates" a fence then they end up exactly where they started from and NOT on the other side of the fence?

From CNN

(CNN)A 20-year-old Chinese student was sentenced to a year in federal prison after he pleaded guilty to illegally taking pictures at a key US defense intelligence facility in Florida.

A federal judge in Key West gave Zhao Qianli the maximum sentence after his guilty plea on Tuesday of one count of photographing defense installations.

Zhao's attorney, Hongwei Shang, declined comment to CNN when reached by phone Wednesday evening.

According to court documents, Zhao entered the Joint Interagency Task Force South military property, located on Naval Air Station Key West, on September 26 without permission "by circumnavigating the installation's primary fence line, and entering the military property from the beach."

Using good photo enhancement technology, you can get really neat pictures of the Joint Interagency Task Force South facilities off Google Maps.

PS - Don't you think that the military's fence should be just a tiny bit more difficult to "circumnavigate"?

PPS - Did the lawyers realize that if someone "circumnavigates" a fence then they end up exactly where they started from and NOT on the other side of the fence?

That's all he got?!? Just one lousy year? We are too soft on spies ... (spit).

I hope he understood the risk he was taking...

I hope it's not a case of cultural miscommunication, In China.... people can go wherever the hell they want... property and privacy is not much of a thing..... unless you are a foreigner of course.

I am sure he knew...

My youngest works for a university in HR. Recently a student from China was caught stealing data from a chemical research lab that had a DoD contract. She was removed from the school and I suppose the country.

In the last school year some 365 thousand Chinese students were studying in US institutions of higher learner.

That could be a whole lot of spies.

From CNN

They have a fence that stops at the beach? Ohyeah, security is of prime importance. This Chinese James Bond just walks past the fence on the beach and gets a year in jail. I bet he won't be able to walk around the fence there.
Next time they'll just go to Best Buy and blow $350 on a drone. Sounds like that would confound the security.

Guy walks past the fence and goes in off the beach with a camera. Yeah, you got yerselves a jen-you-wine Chinese James Bond.

Guy walks past the fence and goes in off the beach with a camera. Yeah, you got yerselves a jen-you-wine Chinese James Bond.

Yeah ... one should feel sorry for that guy ... I mean, look at this poor imbecile from a third-world country ... has never seen a military installation before,
can't read ‘RESTRICTED AREA’ and ‘KEEP OUT’ ... and because he was here on a one-month exchange program in order to "examine musicology",
I can see where he mistook a US military installation for a Sydney-opera-house look-alike.

Yeah ... poor little fella ...

I agree. We even made one of them President. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom