• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chinese military says U.S. destroyer's passage through Taiwan Strait 'provocative'

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
BEIJING (Reuters) - The U.S. destroyer Ralph Johnson's sail-through of the Taiwan Strait on March 17 was a "provocative" act by the United States and sent the wrong signals to pro-Taiwan independence forces, the Chinese military said on Saturday.

Such an act was "very dangerous", a Chinese military spokesperson said in a statement, adding that troops were organised to monitor the Ralph Johnson's passage.

China says Taiwan is the most sensitive and important issue in its relations with the United States. Washington has no formal diplomatic relations with Taipei, but is Taiwan's most important international backer and arms supplier.

Chinese President Xi Jinping told his U.S. counterpart Joe Biden on Friday that the Taiwan issue needs to be handled properly to avoid a negative impact on Sino-U.S. relations.

————————

China making noise about provocation is not an unexpected development. If they use the war in Ukraine to take advantage of the world’s distraction and decide to attack or invade Taiwan, what will the response be?

BEIJING (Reuters) - The U.S. destroyer Ralph Johnson's sail-through of the Taiwan Strait on March 17 was a "provocative" act by the United States and sent the wrong signals to pro-Taiwan independence forces, the Chinese military said on Saturday.

Such an act was "very dangerous", a Chinese military spokesperson said in a statement, adding that troops were organised to monitor the Ralph Johnson's passage.

China says Taiwan is the most sensitive and important issue in its relations with the United States. Washington has no formal diplomatic relations with Taipei, but is Taiwan's most important international backer and arms supplier.

Chinese President Xi Jinping told his U.S. counterpart Joe Biden on Friday that the Taiwan issue needs to be handled properly to avoid a negative impact on Sino-U.S. relations.

————————

China making noise about provocation is not an unexpected development. If they use the war in Ukraine to take advantage of the world’s distraction and decide to attack or invade Taiwan, what will the response be?

I gotta agree with China on this one.
Sounds like they're telling it like it is.

The USA and its global military are the problem. Not the solution.

If they use the war in Ukraine to take advantage of the world’s distraction and decide to attack or invade Taiwan, what will the response be?

"Response"? I'll take the dog walking and then have a snack.:sneaky:(y)
Why would there be any "response"? Not remotely my concern.

I gotta agree with China on this one.
Sounds like they're telling it like it is.

The USA and its global military are the problem. Not the solution.

"Response"? I'll take the dog walking and then have a snack.:sneaky:(y)
Why would there be any "response"? Not remotely my concern.

🤣

International waters are...... International

Sounds like the USA is on the ball.

🤣

International waters are...... International

Golly, if China had a few warships steaming around in the Gulf of Mexico I wonder if that would be seen as a "provocation"?:unsure:

That would be the biggest "provocation" we've EVAH seen!

meh, exactly like I said the USA and its global military are the REAL threat and the real problem. Not the solution.

————————

Says the country that flies fighter jets into Taiwan's air defense zone.

Back
Top Bottom