• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chinese military beefs up coastal forces as it prepares for possible invasion of Taiwan

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
  • Missile bases have been upgraded and equipped with the most advanced hypersonic missile the DF-17, according to one military source

• Build-up of forces comes as the PLA continues with a series of exercises designed to keep up the pressure on the islan

Beijing is stepping up the militarisation of its southeast coast as it prepares for a possible invasion of
Taiwan, military observers and sources have said.

The People’s Liberation Army has been upgrading its missile bases, and one Beijing-based military source said it has deployed its most advanced hypersonic missile the DF-17 to the area.

“The DF-17 hypersonic missile will gradually replace the old DF-11s and DF-15s that were deployed in the southeast region for decades,” the source, who requested anonymity, because of the sensitivity of the topic. “The new missile has a longer range and is able to hit targets more accurately.”
==================================================================
I read the headlines of the SCMP & I've seen this coming for months. WW3 anyone, starting on Nov 2? That would assure Trump's reelection but would be the end of civilization.

They're waiting for Biden to become Prez so the US will have a spineless ***** who will do nothing to stop them.

Nah, that's Trump.
The same Trump who's Pentagon just sealed the deal on Taiwan getting some new US military toys?

The US has approved arms sales to Taiwan worth around $1.8bn (£1.4bn), in a move that is likely to increase tensions with China.
The Pentagon said the deal comprised three weapons systems, including rocket launchers, sensors and artillery.

-skip-

The deal includes 135 precision-guided cruise missiles, as well as mobile light rocket launchers and air reconnaissance pods that can be attached to fighter jets.

The BBC's Taiwan correspondent Cindy Sui says that under President Donald Trump, the US has sold significantly more weapons to Taiwan than before.

Fail less.

Taiwan sends ships, aircraft as Chinese carrier passes island

December 20, 2020

2817760957_8e013262e7_o.jpg

Taiwan's Yun Feng (雲峰, Cloud Peak) land-attack cruise missile revealed in 2019 for the first time has a range of 2,000 kilometers and can be carried on a mobile launch vehicle. The Yun Feng system is capable of striking Beijing and Shanghai or PLA military targets and assembly areas throughout northeastern and southern China.

TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan's navy and air force were deployed on Sunday as a Chinese aircraft carrier group led by the country's newest carrier, the Shandong, sailed through the sensitive Taiwan Strait, the day after a U.S. warship transited the same waterway. Taiwan's Defence Ministry said the Shandong, accompanied by four warships had set out from the northern Chinese port of Dalian on Thursday. Taiwan's ministry said that six warships and eight air force aircraft were sent to "stand guard" and monitor the Chinese ships' movements. "With the support of the people, the national armed forces have the confidence and ability to guard the homeland, and ensure national security and safeguard regional peace and stability," it added. On Saturday, the USS Mustin guided missile destroyer sailed through the Taiwan Strait, the 12th such mission by the U.S. Navy this year.

Taiwan has complained of repeated Chinese military activity, including China's regular flying of air force aircraft near the island. Beijing has been angered by increased U.S. support for Taiwan, including new arms sales and visits to Taipei by senior U.S. officials, further straining already poor Sino-U.S. ties. Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen is overseeing a revamp of the island's military, rolling out new equipment such as "carrier killer" stealth corvettes.

Newest addition to the Taiwan Navy are stealth corvettes.

pg618-fire.jpg

The corvettes one of which is seen below reinforce Taiwan's existing fleet of 84 fast attack torpedo boats.

ch-23.jpg

PRIVATE PROPERTY ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

I reiterate the point Taiwan does not need to destroy all of a communist Chinese invasion force no matter how massive it may be via sea and air while transporting land forces. The object in the classic military operational defense plan is to destroy 40% of the invasion force to thus defang and cripple the force, thereby forcing the invader to turn back while still at sea and in the air.

Because when the invader loses 40% of its invasion force yet fails to retreat, ie, continues to press forward, it will lose 80% of the already severely decimated invasion force. The key to D-Day June 6, 1944 is that the undetected Allied invasion force into Normandy France lost 5% of its overall strength, most of which occurred in the waters and sands of the beachheads.

Last edited:
An outright invasion is highly unlikely but what's actually going on is a “grey-zone” assault on Taiwan, using intimidation tactics such as fake military drills. China still needs to win hearts and minds in Taiwan to hold a national referendum on Taiwan's future. Since 95.5% of voters in Crimea have supported joining Russia, it has been legitimately administered by Russia.

The Foreign Affairs Minister of Taiwan says Beijing has already begun what military strategists call a “grey-zone” assault on the self-governing island of 24 million, and urges Canada and other like-minded democracies to use sanctions and increased trade ties to dissuade China from a full-scale takeover.

Grey-zone warfare falls short of outright armed conflict, and employs cyber-attacks, infiltration, disinformation, and other tactics to sap an enemy’s will.

“Many people here in Taiwan are saying the invasion [by China] may have started already,” Foreign Affairs Minister Joseph Wu said in an interview.

Last edited:
The US, formal allies such as Japan and strategic defense partners to include India are on the case as there is plenty of intelligence and counterintelligence operating on Taiwan and throughout the region against the CCP DictatorTyrants in Beijing and their lightfooted schemes. Light headed too.

Because this isn't a hundred years ago -- or a thousand years ago -- when some people supposedly found a number of Chinese to be "inscrutable." We know who the Chinese are in 21st century, who the Chinese have been as long term authoritarian tyrants and that the Chinese do not change their ways when left to their own ancient and primitive ways.

So we with the democratic Chinese of Taiwan and Hong Kong are on the case.

Taiwan Navy chief paid secret visit to Hawaii: reports
Naval commander attended farewell ceremony for Pacific Fleet chief

5b0e4951a3e33.jpg

Taiwan Navy Commander ADM Huang Shu-kuang, at left in Taipei with Minister of National Defense Yen De-fa (嚴德發). (CNA photo)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Navy Commander Admiral Huang Shu-kuang (黃曙光) paid a secret visit to Hawaii to attend the farewell ceremony for United States Pacific Fleet Commander Harry Harris, Next Magazine reported. Following his return from Hawaii, Huang told President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) of his contacts with Harris and with his successor, while Harris himself also spent several days in Taiwan for meetings, Next Magazine reported. Huang’s stay in Hawaii showed that military relations between Taiwan and the U.S. were growing ever closer, with another example last year’s joint exercises by Taiwanese marines with their U.S. counterparts in the Pacific state, which were likely to be repeated this year, according to Next.

US Navy rear admiral makes unannounced visit to Taiwan: sources

200908-D-ZZ999-022.JPG

U.S. Indo-Pacific Command Director of Intelligence, RADM Mike Studeman hosts 13th annual Indo-Pacific Intelligence Chiefs Conference. Military Intelligence leaders from 24 countries virtually attended the annual Indo-Pacific Intelligence Chiefs Conference (IPICC) Sept. 8, 2020.

TAIPEI/WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A two-star Navy admiral overseeing U.S. military intelligence in the Asia-Pacific region has made an unannounced visit to Taiwan, two sources told Reuters on Sunday, in a high-level trip that could vex China. The sources said the official was Rear Admiral Michael Studeman. According to the Navy's website, Studeman is director of the J2, which oversees intelligence, at the U.S. military's Indo-Pacific Command.

Taiwan's foreign ministry confirmed on Sunday that a U.S. official had arrived in Taiwan but declined to provide details, saying the trip had not been made public. China reacted with fury when U.S. Health Secretary Alex Azar came to Taipei in August, followed by U.S. Undersecretary of State Keith Krach in September, sending fighter jets near the island each time. Douglas Paal, a former head of the U.S. representative office in Taiwan who is now with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said: "If it is Indopacom J2 Studeman, I know of no precedent for such a visit." But Randall Schriver, a former assistant secretary of defense for Asia during the Trump administration, said Trump's Pentagon had been quietly sending one-star flag officers to Taiwan on a routine basis. He noted that the United States and Taiwan had close intelligence exchanges on the threat from China's military.

image.jpg

YOKOSUKA NAVAL BASE, Japan -- Ensign Antonia Vinci scans the horizon from the bridge of the USS Barry as the the guided-missile destroyer sails through the Taiwan Strait, Nov. 20, 2020 continuing a record-seeking pace by sending a warship through the Taiwan Strait for the 12th time this year. SAMUEL HARDGROVE/U.S. NAVY

Pro-China TV station in Taiwan ordered off air over disinformation

Regulator says it will not renew licence of Chung T’ien Television after repeated violations

Dec 15, 2020

The station is one of three Taiwanese TV stations that Wang Liqiang, a former CCP spy who defected to Australia, reportedly said had been paid by the Chinese government to broadcast unfavourable coverage of the DPP before the 2020 election.

Chinese haven't won anything in a long time. If ever. Neither will the Chinese win anything by any means. Not ever.

Britain and Canada accused China of human rights violations and "barbarism" against its Uighur minority and announced new rules to ban imports of goods suspected of being made using forced labour.
Sanctions are out of the blue.
Although no, it is not sanctions. Non-economic competition and protectionism.
And I honestly can't imagine a gentleman west of Suez, who can tell a Uighur from a Persian.

• Missile bases have been upgraded and equipped with the most advanced hypersonic missile the DF-17, according to one military source

• Build-up of forces comes as the PLA continues with a series of exercises designed to keep up the pressure on the islan

Beijing is stepping up the militarisation of its southeast coast as it prepares for a possible invasion of
Taiwan, military observers and sources have said.

The People’s Liberation Army has been upgrading its missile bases, and one Beijing-based military source said it has deployed its most advanced hypersonic missile the DF-17 to the area.

“The DF-17 hypersonic missile will gradually replace the old DF-11s and DF-15s that were deployed in the southeast region for decades,” the source, who requested anonymity, because of the sensitivity of the topic. “The new missile has a longer range and is able to hit targets more accurately.”
==================================================================
I read the headlines of the SCMP & I've seen this coming for months. WW3 anyone, starting on Nov 2? That would assure Trump's reelection but would be the end of civilization.
Their testing Biden as all nations will do to see if he is worthy of leadership. My guess is he will succeed as long as obama backs him up. The ChiComs are eager to entice America. Zi is a front line punk and he means business.

If China invades Taiwan, Biden will send China a very stern letter...right after the UN sends one of their own.

Their testing Biden as all nations will do to see if he is worthy of leadership. My guess is he will succeed as long as obama backs him up. The ChiComs are eager to entice America. Zi is a front line punk and he means business.

You do realize that when President Obama was in the 6th Grade.... President Biden was a Senator, right?

Biden first became Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee 20 years ago. He knows the stakes in Taiwan... hell, he probably knows them like few other people in the country know them.

tankies doing an imperialism... what a surprise...

The tensions are rising every day.

Hurry folks!

Everyone head on down to your local Navy recruiter and sign up.

It's a matter of life and death.

China won't invade. The sanctions and other fallout would destroy their economy and one thing that China is more afraid of than anything is internal unrest. It is the biggest possible threat to the Communist Party and they have to keep the lid on it to survive.

This is as others have said sabre rattling to keep Taiwan from declaring independance.

China won't invade. The sanctions and other fallout would destroy their economy and one thing that China is more afraid of than anything is internal unrest. It is the biggest possible threat to the Communist Party and they have to keep the lid on it to survive.

This is as others have said sabre rattling to keep Taiwan from declaring independance.
I hope you are right.

I hope you are right.

There is nothing the US can do all by itself if China does invade and remain.

We will sit here bitching and complaining while the millennials head for the Canadian border to avoid another draft anyways.

There is nothing the US can do all by itself if China does invade and remain.

We will sit here bitching and complaining while the millennials head for the Canadian border to avoid another draft anyways.
I am not saying that the US should do anything, just worried about the situation.

I am not saying that the US should do anything, just worried about the situation.

Why?

We can still buy Taiwanese products.

American liberals love China anyways, so it's not likely that a Democrat president will ever declare war at this point in history.

I hope you are right.
I think I'm right but like you hope I'm not wrong. The thing is that we've seen this before from China and it's not led to anything. China has built its navy to the point now where a successful invasion of Taiwan would be measured in hours. But the destruction to the Chinese economy would be measured in decades.

I think I'm right but like you hope I'm not wrong. The thing is that we've seen this before from China and it's not led to anything. China has built its navy to the point now where a successful invasion of Taiwan would be measured in hours. But the destruction to the Chinese economy would be measured in decades.

Really?

Are the European, Middle Eastern, Asian, countries along with Russia going to stop buying cheaper products?

I don't think so.

Really?

Are the European, Middle Eastern, Asian, countries along with Russia going to stop buying cheaper products?

I don't think so.
Cheaper products can be made in many different places. China would lose market share to India, Vietnam and many other current competitors.

Back
Top Bottom