• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chinese media outlet uses racial slur at US envoy

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I had never heard of this term "banana" as a racial slur for Asians before?

A major Chinese government news service used a racist slur to describe the departing American ambassador in a mean-spirited editorial on Friday that drew widespread public condemnation in China.

The article — which called Gary Locke a "rotten banana," a guide dog for the blind, and a plague — reflected Chinese nationalists' acute loathing toward the first Chinese-American to have been Washington's top envoy to Beijing.

The editorial "Farewell, Gary Locke" took direct aim at Locke's identity as a third-generation Chinese-American, calling him a "banana" — a racial term for Asians identifying with Western values despite their skin color.

"But when a banana sits out for long, its yellow peels will always rot, not only revealing its white core but also turning into the stomach-churning color of black," read the editorial.

The author Wang Ping — likely a pseudonym — slammed Locke's portrayal as an official judicious with public funds but criticized him for being hypocritical as he retreated into his multimillion-dollar official residence and special-made, bullet-proof luxury vehicle.

Wang belittled Locke's inability to speak his ancestral language and accused him of failing to understand China's law but fanning "evil winds" in the ethnically sensitive regions of Tibet and Xinjiang.

In the epic movie Remember The Titans, an opposing coach called Coach Boone a 'monkey' on live TV and refused to exchange tape.
After the game, Boone flipped that coach a 'banana' to mock him.
As a teacher, I recommend this movie as highly as any I know for improved racial relations .

lsNL3HF.gif

Chinesse are Han supremacists so... if you're not 100% Han chinesse you might as well be nothing in their mind.

Huntsman is probably one of the few Americans who could put together a third party, top-to-bottom.
His only obstacle is his Billionaire Father, who pulled the plug on him in 2012 .

I take it you have never heard of an "egg" before either?

Neither have I.

What's next, a strawberry or a melon? What's that racist for?

Why is it that the few people who know ALL these racist terms get uppity with people who don't? What - is there a '1001 racist terms' handbook that I didn't get when I was born?

Neither have I.

What's next, a strawberry or a melon? What's that racist for?

Why is it that the few people who know ALL these racist terms get uppity with people who don't? What - is there a '1001 racist terms' handbook that I didn't get when I was born?

An egg is the opposite of a banana, a white person who wants to Asian. Outside is white and inside is yellow.

The Chinese and Koreans often put emphasis on ethnic solidarity and Chinese and Korean expats are supposed to root for their home countries even after immigrating to Western countries. Most Asian Americans are still culturally Asian and some Asian pressure groups are known to advocate for anti-Japanese measures. For example, Korean Americans in some states such as Virginia and New York succeeded in changing the Sea of Japan into the East Sea in school textbooks as it's called in Korean, which may show how multiculturalism in America is bearing fruit. Tony Avella further proposed a resolution that promotes state textbooks that designate the comfort women issue as a crime against humanity, while most comfort women were actually professional prostitutes who worked in the sex industry forced by their economic circumstances at the time. It's odd to find Gary Lock Chinese enough but as a third-generation Chinese-American, he is supposed to embrace American values wholeheartedly even though most Asian Americans still grow up in segregated communities.

140213_2p04_photo.jpg
New York Sen. Tony Avella wears a T-shirt saying “Yes! East Sea, No! Sea of Japan” before a press conference in New York.

Last edited:

I never did either, but I am not a Chinese expert. Now my wife is from Thailand, both she and I speak Thai, but my son and youngest daughter do not although they understand most of it. My oldest daughter, she was born in Thailand, she speaks and writes Thai, but her children do not. Losing ones home language is not unusual for the second generation Asian or probably for any other nationality that comes to this country.

Back
Top Bottom