• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chinese launch first locally designed and built aircraft carrier.

Dayton3

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

This gives China three aircraft carriers and the first that is probably roughly equivalent to U.S. supercarriers.

While this might seem to pale next to the 11 U.S. carriers, the U.S. Navy has to cover ocean in not only the Western Pacific but the Atlantic & Indian Oceans and the Mediterranean Sea..

This gives China three aircraft carriers and the first that is probably roughly equivalent to U.S. supercarriers.

While this might seem to pale next to the 11 U.S. carriers, the U.S. Navy has to cover ocean in not only the Western Pacific but the Atlantic & Indian Oceans and the Mediterranean Sea..
If it's built as well as my Samsung washing machine it will sink in a month or less.

Equipped with the latest weaponry and aircraft-launch technology, the Type 003 ship’s capabilities are thought to rival those of Western carriers
I am extremely skeptical of this claim.

That's LG. Samsung is a chinese company with international presence and manufacturing in a wide selection of countries.

Samsung Group​

Samsung Main Building
250 2-ka Taepyung-ro
Chung-ku, Seoul
Korea
7721 1114

Meanwhile, democrats around here have been yapping about slashing the military size and funding and why do we need all the aircraft carrier fleets that we have.

Meanwhile, democrats around here have been yapping about slashing the military size and funding and why do we need all the aircraft carrier fleets that we have.
I am sure one of our aircraft carriers is worth four of theirs. There is no valid concern here.

We can probably slash our budget by a third and not effect our military capabilities at all, just by re-prioritizing which areas are getting funding.

I am sure one of our aircraft carriers is worth four of theirs. There is no valid concern here.
Plus we have more than the rest of the world combined...nevermind that many of those other carriers are controlled by our direct allies. It isn't just China and the US. It's China (and maybe Russia) and like basically every major military power and the US.

Remember, even countries that aren't really allies with the US don't like China, like India. The idea that China could militarily threaten us is absurd.

We can probably slash our budget by a third and not effect our military capabilities at all, just by re-prioritizing which areas are getting funding.
I wouldn't go quite to 1/3. Perhaps 1/5 or 1/4. There is room...but the decisions would need to be very strategic and planned.

I wouldn't go quite to 1/3. Perhaps 1/5 or 1/4. There is room...but the decisions would need to be very strategic and planned.
You were saying?

I'm glad you're so confident.
We have 70 years experience with aircraft operations aboard an aircraft carrier. China does not. One report I read several months ago said that during an exercise with one of their carriers they were only able to launch 1 aircraft every 15 minutes. Carriers are just big floating targets if they can’t adequately utilize the aircraft they have onboard.

I'm glad you're so confident.
We really don't have anything to worry about (at least when it comes to aircraft carriers).
1655475889238.png

Every single one of these countries (except for Russia) would side with the US in a conflict against China. That's like 40 aircraft carriers to 6. Honestly all that matters are the US, British, French, Japanese, and Korean ones. The other countries are kinda irrelevant here.

There is absolutely no reason to believe the Chinese aircraft carrier is as operationally effective as existing US carriers, never mind the latest USS Ford class carrier that would be the most equivalent to the Chinese one in the sense that they are both the most advanced each country has and are still being tested.

There is absolutely no reason to believe the Chinese aircraft carrier is as operationally effective as existing US carriers, never mind the latest USS Ford class carrier that would be the most equivalent to the Chinese one in the sense that they are both the most advanced each country has and are still being tested.
Not as effective? Sure. Perhaps only half as effective as a U.S. carrier. Maybe.

But so ineffective that ONE U.S carrier would be as effective as FOUR of these Chinese carriers? No way. No way.

Has anyone given any thought as to where the chinese might park these boats?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04...n-security-pact-says-chinese-foreig/101000530
China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin announced the agreement in Beijing on Tuesday evening, saying it would involve China cooperating with Honiara on maintaining social order, protecting people's safety, aid, combating natural disasters and helping safeguard national security.

Solomon Islands Foreign Affairs Minister Jeremiah Manele confirmed the signing of the pact to the ABC in a text message.

Back
Top Bottom