• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China's staggering 40 years of change in pictures

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the BBC

China's staggering 40 years of change in pictures

Forty years ago, China introduced major economic reforms - lifting hundreds of millions of people out of poverty and leading to it becoming the second-largest economy in the world.

Here's the story of how China changed - in pictures.

1. Wheels and more wheels

This is what Chang'an Avenue - a major street in the capital Beijing - looked like in 1978.

COMMENT:-

It's a short read ("big pictures"), so please do so.

What may be of interest is the final graph in the article if you compare it to the graph HERE.

Yes, I know that the odds that the two graphs use the same definition of poverty, but what has to be remembered is that "poverty" is a subjective condition and it "Group A" thinks that it is emerging from poverty (and has some actual evidence that that might be happening) while "Group B" thinks that it is not, then "Group A" is much more likely to be supportive of its own government than "Group B" is - regardless of whether "Group A" and "Group B" are in the same or different countries.

Going from "eating meat" once per month to "eating meat" twice per week IS an improvement - even if those who are "eating meat" twice per day think that it is something that hardly matters.

To be honest, those are poor pictures to show the differences between China of 30-40 years ago to today.

The Muslim quarter in Xian which is I believe the last picture is a tourist attraction and I believe has not changed much in 100 years.

The second picture of that is of Beijing is from 2013, in which time especially the last 3 has seen improvements in air quality (stricter controls on diesels and coal heating plants)

The east coast of China is more developed, multiple times more than is shown in the pictures

download.jpg4c0da15b7f8b9a1770080400-750-525.jpg

The first picture is Shanghai in 2017, the second is Shanghai in 1990. The tallest building on the right was built I believe around 2011 and 2015

To be honest, those are poor pictures to show the differences between China of 30-40 years ago to today.

The Muslim quarter in Xian which is I believe the last picture is a tourist attraction and I believe has not changed much in 100 years.

The second picture of that is of Beijing is from 2013, in which time especially the last 3 has seen improvements in air quality (stricter controls on diesels and coal heating plants)

The east coast of China is more developed, multiple times more than is shown in the pictures

View attachment 67246246View attachment 67246247

The first picture is Shanghai in 2017, the second is Shanghai in 1990. The tallest building on the right was built I believe around 2011 and 2015

Hopefully the article will point out to some people that, regardless of what THEY think, the CHINESE are highly likely to be thinking that things are one hell of a lot better now than they were back in the 1970s.

Strangely enough, if you read Robert J Gordon's "The Rise and Fall of American Growth: The U.S. Standard of Living since the Civil War" - Princeton University Press (Jan. 12 2016) [ISBN-10: 0691147728 / ISBN-13: 978-0691147727] you will see that the 1970s were also significant in America's growth.

Back
Top Bottom