• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China's childhood obesity 'explosion' blamed on Western diet

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
this is success. right guys?

Is the Western diet causing obesity in Chinese children?

It's quite possible, according to a 29-year study published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology.

The study, which went public on Tuesday, noted that while China may be seeing rapid growth in its rural economy, it's also seeing a massive spike in childhood obesity.

In 1985, less than 1 percent of boys and about 1.5 percent of girls in the Shandong province were considered obese. By 2014, almost 17 percent of boys and more than 9 percent of girls were categorized as such.

"This is extremely worrying," Joep Perk, cardiovascular prevention spokesman for the European Society of Cardiology, said in a statement. "It is the worst explosion of childhood and adolescent obesity that I have ever seen...China is set for an escalation of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and the popularity of the western lifestyle will cost lives."

The study, which documented around 28,000 children and adolescents, cites three major reasons for the uptick in childhood obesity: cultural background, poor diet and and a lack of physical activity.

"Traditionally, the societal preference, particularly in rural areas, has been for sons," Ying-Xiu Zhang, leader of the investigation team at the Shandong Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement. "That could result in boys enjoying more of the family's resources. In addition, boys may prefer to have a larger body size than girls."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas-childhood-obesity-explosion-blamed-125229925.html

At least you can educate people, try health promotion programmes and give people the information so that they make informed choices. I'm glad they now have those choices, rather than the enforced poverty of the Cultural revolution.

It's quite possible, according to a 29-year study published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology.

The study, which went public on Tuesday, noted that while China may be seeing rapid growth in its rural economy, it's also seeing a massive spike in childhood obesity.

In 1985, less than 1 percent of boys and about 1.5 percent of girls in the Shandong province were considered obese. By 2014, almost 17 percent of boys and more than 9 percent of girls were categorized as such.

"This is extremely worrying," Joep Perk, cardiovascular prevention spokesman for the European Society of Cardiology, said in a statement. "It is the worst explosion of childhood and adolescent obesity that I have ever seen...China is set for an escalation of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and the popularity of the western lifestyle will cost lives."

The study, which documented around 28,000 children and adolescents, cites three major reasons for the uptick in childhood obesity: cultural background, poor diet and and a lack of physical activity.

"Traditionally, the societal preference, particularly in rural areas, has been for sons," Ying-Xiu Zhang, leader of the investigation team at the Shandong Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement. "That could result in boys enjoying more of the family's resources. In addition, boys may prefer to have a larger body size than girls."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas-childhood-obesity-explosion-blamed-125229925.html

The country has gone from starvation poverty to middle class in the past 40 years. Most populations gain weight, when they begin to be able to pay for the second bowl of rice.

lots of successful people don't eat their way into obesity and bad health. study up on it.

Where has the food forum gone?

Where has the food forum gone?

I know. what's up with the threads abut burger king, mcdonald's, pizza hut and pan frying porterhouses in butter? pedestrian and banal

lots of successful people don't eat their way into obesity and bad health. study up on it.

You seem to be very keen on lecturing other people about what to do for the good of their health with the passion of a zealot. And yet, in your avatar, you're, erm...............smoking?

[I figured people would give you flack for posting this - even though we've discussed this very element before on DP]

I think this is it 100%: "exercising less and spending more times on their computers."

Not necessarily a Western thing - but this is what happens when a Society become inundated heavily with technology as a form of entertainment.

But ultimately, it's bound to happen when a society no longer needs to work, physically, hard in order to eat. In every culture's history there was a time of plenty - where birth rates climbed and so did the average person's height/weight.

And the reason why I say it's not Western is because of this:
https://consumer.healthday.com/ment...-to-worldwide-obesity-woes-report-667957.html

More than 500 million adults worldwide are obese, according to background information in the news release. The United States has the highest percentage of obese adults (nearly 34 percent), followed by Mexico (30 percent), New Zealand (about 26 percent), Australia (nearly 25 percent) and Canada (just over 24 percent).

It's found in many countries across the world, and China is just one of the many on that list.

Also...
For their study, the Milken team looked at the effect that knowledge-based technology had on obesity rates in 27 countries that belong to the Organization for Economic Development and Cooperation. They did this by comparing the level of investment and communication technology (ICT) for each of the countries and their obesity rates.

For every 10 percent increase in ICT investment as a share of gross capital formation, the obesity rate climbed an average of 1.4 percent, the investigators found.

But the study authors also explained that in countries with high ICT investment rates, a 1 percent increase in the number of physically active people can prevent a 0.2 percent rise in obesity.

So at some point it's not an 'American' or 'Western World' problem - but the fact that we're all becoming more connected to sedentary lifestyles - because we can be.

[Not the Irony of us sitting on our computers discussing this fact]

You seem to be very keen on lecturing other people about what to do for the good of their health with the passion of a zealot. And yet, in your avatar, you're, erm...............smoking?

is it lit?

why do you have a muppet mouth?

My avatar isn't me, strange as that may be to believe. And it's not a Muppet - Brits of a certain age will recognise him.

Now stop dodging the question; "Why do have a pipe hanging out of your gob?" Or is your avatar really somebody else, and are you by any chance living your life like a candle in the wind?

My avatar isn't me, strange as that may be to believe. And it's not a Muppet - Brits of a certain age will recognise him.

Now stop dodging the question; "Why do have a pipe hanging out of your gob?" Or is your avatar really somebody else, and are you by any chance living your life like a candle in the wind?

I have no idea what you're talking about. please stick to the topic like the moderators want you to do.

I have no idea what you're talking about. please stick to the topic like the moderators want you to do.
Asking why I have a Muppet mouth is sticking to the topic?

Answer the question and stop dodging: why does Mr. Healthy Living and Piety appear in his avatar with a pipe hanging out of his mush?

Answer the question and stop dodging: why does Mr. Healthy Living and Piety appear in his avatar with a pipe hanging out of his mush?

I asked you the exact kind of dumb question you asked me.

Do muppets count puppet sheep?

Ohferchristsake.
Do you mean that Chinese children were healthier before Western influence?

It's vegan tobacco.

And these people eat balanced meals in moderate portions with... you guessed it: meat.

And these people eat balanced meals in moderate portions with... you guessed it: meat.

You were told to stop sabotaging threads and anklebiting.

Back
Top Bottom