• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China 'watching' for US weakness amid Russia invasion of Ukraine, experts warn

Who said he wasn't? Fox?

Actually it was Biden.

“China is going to eat our lunch? Come on, man,” the former vice president said.

“I mean, you know, they’re not bad folks, folks. But guess what? They’re not competition for us,” he added.

He did quite a bit (all that NATO would allow?), but stopped short of preventing Russian oil imports to the US.
Generally it is true Nato needed to be known board as those countries depend on russisn energy imports. However they're coming around: Shell has pulled out of a Gazprom deal and the US is freeing up reserves to plug shortfalls. There's hardly wiggle room to claim the sanctions are too soft: they hurt thd countries imposing them too.

Generally it is true Nato needed to be known board as those countries depend on russisn energy imports. However they're coming around: Shell has pulled out of a Gazprom deal and the US is freeing up reserves to plug shortfalls. There's hardly wiggle room to claim the sanctions are too soft: they hurt thd countries imposing them too.

Biden does not need NATO permission to halt US oil imports from Russia.

Biden needs to concentrate on this, because Asia is more significant than eastern Europe.
How about leaving it to the actual experts who have all the information to make an informed decision?

That (bolded above) is correct, but every barrel of US oil produced is one less barrel of oil which must be imported.
Really? "... every barrel of US oil produced is one less barrel of oil which must be imported." - really?

What would the US do for oil if the American companies exported 100% of the crude oil that they extracted domestically?

What do you think the US government would do if purchasers in other countries were offering $10/bbl MORE for American produced crude oil than the American refining and retailing industry was offering for it?

What do you think would happen to the price of gasoline if purchasers in other countries were offering $10/bbl MORE for American produced crude oil than the current price paid by the American refining and retailing industry AND the American refining and retailing industry could only get American produced crude oil if it met (or beat) the price offered by purchasers in other countries?

How would Mr. Biden do that without infringing on the freedoms of those Americans who own the importing companies to freely participate in the unrestrained, free market, entrepreneurial, capitalist, system?

Do I sense a "Libertarian" calling for MORE government control over the freedoms of Americans to participate in their own economy for their own benefit as they see fit to do?

How would Mr. Biden do that without infringing on the freedoms of those Americans who own the importing companies to freely participate in the unrestrained, free market, entrepreneurial, capitalist, system?

Do I sense a "Libertarian" calling for MORE government control over the freedoms of Americans to participate in their own economy for their own benefit as they see fit to do?

Are you kidding me? Biden had no qualms about canceling the XL pipeline and limiting drilling leases.

Biden needs to concentrate on this, because Asia is more significant than eastern Europe.

China can suck my balls. This conflict has made us stronger, not weaker. Finally, we found something that many American cons can agree with libs about, Putin is a douche.

This coming together against a common enemy is just what we, and the west, needed. Putin may have actually screwed the Donald by making him show his traitorous ass so completely. Trump and Pompeo should have stayed quiet, but how many times has that been the case? Too damn many.

Reduce US dependence on imported oil and increase US exports of fossil fuel products.

1. There is more increased drilling under Biden then under Trump.

2. The US will never be free of foreign oil at current demands no matter how much you allow destroying out land for profit

3. Biden and dems working on it, with green energy, infrastructure for electric vehicles that conservatives fight. So it looks like its republicans that don't want us to be independent of foreign oil

Republicans have fought every measure in decades to shift from green energy, mass transit systems, etc that would have helped our reliance on foreign oil

2. The US will never be free of foreign oil at current demands no matter how much you allow destroying out land for profit

3. Biden and dems working on it, with green energy, infrastructure for electric vehicles that conservatives fight. So it looks like its republicans that don't want us to be independent of foreign oil

Republicans have fought every measure in decades to shift from green energy, mass transit systems, etc that would have helped our reliance on foreign oil

Do you have links supporting that (bolded above) assertion?

Crickets…

U.S. oil firms slashed production in 2020 as the coronavirus pandemic destroyed demand and supply has not yet recovered to pre-Covid levels. In 2019, the U.S. produced 12.29 million barrels of crude oil per day, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

That figure was 11.28 million in 2020 and is estimated to be 11.18 million in 2021 and 11.85 million in 2022.

U.S. oil production will grow even more than the government previously expected as a scorching price rally drives producers to boost drilling.

Oil output will average 12.6 million barrels a day in 2023, an increase from its previous estimate of 12.41 million, according to Energy Information Administration data. The current annual all-time high of 12.3 million barrels a day was set in 2019. This year’s production forecast was also revised higher to 11.97 million barrels a day from an earlier projection of 11.8 million, the EIA said in its monthly Short-Term Energy Outlook report.

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? Biden had no qualms about canceling the XL pipeline and limiting drilling leases.
And that offends you? That the President of the United States of America should take steps to REDUCE the amount of "foreign oil" that comes into the American economy?

You do realize that the XL Pipeline was NOT intended to carry crude oil produced in America, by Americans, and for Americans - don't you?

If you oppose Mr. Biden's cancellation of the building permits that would have allowed the XL pipeline to cross federally owned lands (but which would not have affected the pipeline if it had been constructed solely on privately owned lands) then you also have to oppose any effort of Mr. Biden to limit where American companies, operating in America, and owned

However, I do realize that there are some people who live by:

[1] The government shall have all the power to do whatever I want to see done and to force people who don't want to do it to do it.​
[2] The government shall NOT have any power to do anything I do NOT want to see done and shall have the power to force people who want to do it not to do it.​
[3] If I change my mind about what I do, or do not, want to see done, the power of the government shall instantly be altered to conform.​
[4] Everyone who wants to do what I want to see done is a "Patriot" - regardless of what I want to see done.​
[5] Anyone who does not want to do what I want to see done is a "Traitor" - regardless of what I do not want to see done.​
[6] Everyone who does not want to do what I do not want to see done is a "Patriot" - regardless of what I do not want to see done.​
[7] Anyone who wants to do what I do not want to see done is a "Traitor" - regardless of what I do not want to see done.​
[8] Anyone who changes their mind so that they now conform to what I want, or do not want, to see done is a "Patriot" - regardless of what they were previously.​
[9] Anyone who changes their mind so that they now differ from what I want, or do not want, to see done is a "Traitor" - regardless of what they were previously.​
and​
[10] I will mindlessly accept whatever it is that I am told I will, or will not, want to see done PROVIDED that "The Right People" are the ones who are telling me what it is that I will, or will not, want to see done.​

You will find some of those people here on DP.

You will also find some people here on DP who think that those people are brainless, spineless, ignorant, fools.

Diplomacy in this case needs a united front. He got the allies on board. Remember when 'tough guy' Twump used to bang on about Nato paying its share? Well Biden got Nato to share the burden of sanctions when it would cost them more than the US.

Back
Top Bottom