• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China pressures European governments over Nobel

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
link

The government of the PRC is at it again... threatening European governments if they attend the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony...

They want to keep making themselves look bad in the eyes of the civilized world, fine with me. They are only confirming what I and others have been saying about them for years...

BEIJING – China is pressuring European governments to avoid the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony for imprisoned democracy activist Liu Xiaobo and not make any statements in support of him, several diplomats in Beijing said Thursday.

The Chinese Embassy in Oslo has sent official letters to a number of European embassies in the Norwegian capital asking them not to attend the Dec. 10 ceremony, two Western diplomats said.

According to one of the diplomats who said he has seen the letter, China cited its repeated position that Liu is a criminal for his advocacy of widespread political reforms and called the prize an interference in China's internal affairs.

link

The government of the PRC is at it again... threatening European governments if they attend the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony...

They want to keep making themselves look bad in the eyes of the civilized world, fine with me. They are only confirming what I and others have been saying about them for years...

what a waste of time, don't they know the nobel is a joke?

what a waste of time, don't they know the nobel is a joke?

Let me guess.. because non-American's win it all the time, and/or the "wrong" American's do win it?

China should simply be ignored for now.
While I do find their willingness to maintain the "order" of their tyrannical government over the people to be strong, I do not think they'd really take any real sanctioning move in the case their demands will be ignored, they have far more to lose than they have to gain from such a move.

Let me guess.. because non-American's win it all the time, and/or the "wrong" American's do win it?

Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, John Raleigh Mott, Martin luther king, and Elie Wiesel were hardly non-americans, or the wrong americans, so obviously no, that's not the reason.

Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, John Raleigh Mott, Martin luther king, and Elie Wiesel were hardly non-americans, or the wrong americans, so obviously no, that's not the reason.

So it is only "recent" non-American's and wrong Americans then?

how many people want the nobel peace prize?

How many people would want a congressional medal of honour or purple heart or that presidential medal Bush gave to his friends? You might not understand or like the Nobel Peace Prize because it was given to someone you dont like or think deserves it, but that does not make the prize a joke.

Well, the Nobel Prize kinda IS a joke. Some of the past Peace Prize winners have been flat-out embarrassing (e.g. Henry Kissinger, Yasser Arafat). Others were less odious, but no less head-scratching (e.g. Al Gore for global warming? Barack Obama for, umm, what exactly?)

Liu Xiaobo is at least a worthy recipient...but yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with those who say the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke.

Last edited:
How many people would want a congressional medal of honour or purple heart or that presidential medal Bush gave to his friends? You might not understand or like the Nobel Peace Prize because it was given to someone you dont like or think deserves it, but that does not make the prize a joke.

It's a joke because there is nothing serious about it. To get a nobel peace prize is essentially the same as getting a billion dollars: being at the right place, at the right time. I'm never going to win won, so why should I care? I don't even look at the nominees, or even know when they meet.

So it is only "recent" non-American's and wrong Americans then?
Elie Wiesel isn't recent?

It's a joke because there is nothing serious about it. To get a nobel peace prize is essentially the same as getting a billion dollars: being at the right place, at the right time. I'm never going to win won, so why should I care? I don't even look at the nominees, or even know when they meet.

Mandela was there at the right place, right time, or Aung San Suu Kyi, or Mother Teresa, or Martin Luther King Jr.?

They have made very serious achievements, certainly the likes of Obama or Gore didn't deserve it, but they are overshadowed by the many who did.

Mandela was there at the right place, right time, or Aung San Suu Kyi, or Mother Teresa, or Martin Luther King Jr.?

They have made very serious achievements, certainly the likes of Obama or Gore didn't deserve it, but they are overshadowed by the many who did.
Well, I will concede, wrong place at the right time. :p

I think that peoples' opinions about past recipients is a separate issue from the Chinese government's reaction to Liu Xiaobo getting the award this year. The PRC is behaving like a bully towards other nations in its effort to get others to boycott the ceremony.

I'm wondering what's going to happen with the award money. Liu Xiaobo is in prison now. Will the PRC confiscate the award from him and sock it into the PRC coffers? Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

I think that peoples' opinions about past recipients is a separate issue from the Chinese government's reaction to Liu Xiaobo getting the award this year. The PRC is behaving like a bully towards other nations in its effort to get others to boycott the ceremony.

I'm wondering what's going to happen with the award money. Liu Xiaobo is in prison now. Will the PRC confiscate the award from him and sock it into the PRC coffers? Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

The only way to prevent it would be to hold on to the money until Liu can get out of the country.

It does when it get awarded to a terrorist.

Or when it gets awarded to individuals for purely political reasons. That diminishes the relevance considerably.

I'd say HELL NO it's because the fools gave it to Obama for being the Black Appeaser in Chief, and accomplishing not one damn thing.

If they gave an award for doing nothing right and everything wrong Obama's the number one contender.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom