• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China passes new law restricting sensitive export

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://apnews.com/article/technolo...nal-security-396e42dbf147c9b55863fb90099303cb</div>

BEIJING (AP) — China has passed a new law restricting sensitive exports to protect national security, allowing Beijing to reciprocate against the U.S. as tensions mount between the sides over trade and technology.

The law, which will apply to all companies in China, was passed Saturday by the National People’s Congress Standing Committee and will take effect on Dec. 1.

Under the law, China can take “reciprocal measures” toward countries or regions that abuse export controls and threaten its national security and interests.

Export controls under the law will apply to civilian, military and nuclear products, as well as goods, technologies and services related to national security. A list of controlled items will be published “in a timely manner” in conjunction with relevant departments, according to the law.
==============================================================
Screwing with China is one of Trump's biggest foreign policy errors. China has a virtual lock on the supply of 'rare earth' elements like samarium & neodymium that are essential components in everything from the tiny motors that raise & lower your car windows to ICBM guidance systems.

https://apnews.com/article/technolo...nal-security-396e42dbf147c9b55863fb90099303cb</div>

BEIJING (AP) — China has passed a new law restricting sensitive exports to protect national security, allowing Beijing to reciprocate against the U.S. as tensions mount between the sides over trade and technology.

The law, which will apply to all companies in China, was passed Saturday by the National People’s Congress Standing Committee and will take effect on Dec. 1.

Under the law, China can take “reciprocal measures” toward countries or regions that abuse export controls and threaten its national security and interests.

Export controls under the law will apply to civilian, military and nuclear products, as well as goods, technologies and services related to national security. A list of controlled items will be published “in a timely manner” in conjunction with relevant departments, according to the law.
==============================================================
Screwing with China is one of Trump's biggest foreign policy errors. China has a virtual lock on the supply of 'rare earth' elements like samarium & neodymium that are essential components in everything from the tiny motors that raise & lower your car windows to ICBM guidance systems.
There's rare earth in Alaska, I read.

Alaska is rich in critical rare earths

But how long & for how much to get them out?

Rare earths occur as mixtures. These elements have nearly identical chemical properties & separating them into the individual elements requires a lot of sophisticated technology & $$$. I'm familiar with this as I worked for a company that was into separating rare earths.

Alaska is rich in critical rare earths

But how long & for how much to get them out?

Rare earths occur as mixtures. These elements have nearly identical chemical properties & separating them into the individual elements requires a lot of sophisticated technology & $$$. I'm familiar with this as I worked for a company that was into separating rare earths.
Yes, it's why we haven't exploited the resource yet. But if we had to, I think we could; am I wrong?

Yes, it's why we haven't exploited the resource yet. But if we had to, I think we could; am I wrong?
There is a lot of interest in mining minerals (gold, silver, copper, rare earths, even diamonds) in AK. Diamonds are found in Kimberlite Pipes left over from extinct volcanoes.

Last edited:
There is a lot of interest in mining minerals (gold, silver, copper, rare earths, even diamonds) in AK. Diamonds are found in Kimberlite Pipes left over from extinct volcanoes.
Doing some genealogy over the weekend, I discovered there used to be a silver mine in a little town near here. Maybe they should reopen it; there is nothing else left there anymore but blueberries, drug addicts and a bunch of slowly decaying sea captains' homes.

Back
Top Bottom