• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China never had any allies

Kss

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Political analyst Vladislav Inozemtsev presents one of the most daring approaches on world’s triangle of power: Russia, USA and China.

Russia is unlikely to ever become a true ally for Beijing or Washington. Neither the United States nor China really wants an equal partnership with Russia. They would gladly accept Russia as a satellite; a resource supplier, no problem; a lower level geopolitical player, maybe.

China poses as big a threat as we allow it to. There are no hordes of immigrants crossing over from China into Russia, or into Vietnam or India, for that matter. The Chinese are “infiltrating” other countries in a different way. They arrive and start businesses, something they always do tenaciously and professionally. Their working efficiency and dedication are legendary. Moreover, the nation itself must take full credit for that, as its success was not due to abundant mineral resources or a favorable market situation. It was their own success.

For Russia, it is a question of whether or not we let them in; whether we encourage their business immigration or not. That is Russia’s problem.

It would be wrong to believe that the Chinese are invading our lands and we cannot block them. If we do not want them to settle in Russia’s Far East, they won’t be able to. The problem is rooted in fake work permits, and visas obtained in return for bribes. I do not think China poses any real geopolitical danger to Russia. There is another danger, though: China’s economy is growing rapidly and the country is expanding its industrial niche on the international markets. This may with time limit Russia’s chances of growing into an industrial economy. China is gaining a firm foothold on the international markets, thus closing the markets to our products.

Russia and China are rivals because, while Russia is mainly exporting resources now, it could and should manufacture industrial products from these resources. In my opinion, Russia’s next step along the modernization road should be transition from the resource-based economy to an industrial economy. Further steps would be a post-industrial economy, and then a research-intensive and innovation-based economy, some fifty years from now. This means Russia will claim the niche currently occupied by China, which will not give it up without a fight.

In this sense, China is a barrier to Russia’s modernization, but not a threat – not a potential military aggressor or anything like that.

The full version of this article was published on valdaiclub.com

Follow Valdai's stream on Valdai International Discussion Club | Facebook

I read the full article at your site. It's interesting to see geopolitical thought from around the world.

Russia wants an equal relationship with America and China. I don't think Russia will get what it wants. America needs no allies. It needs to mind it's own business.

China will not accept Russia on equal terms because the Chinese have no need to. The Valdai Club discussion didn't address the issue of the demographic collapse of Russia's Slavic majority, and its impact on the full range of Russian power in the years to come.

I think Russia and China will develop the same kind of relationship Canada and America have. Friendship, but not equality. Russia's fate is to be the supplier of natural resources to China in this epoch of history.

That is the true.
But. In the nearest future U.S. will face to stronger China with its ambition to be the world's leader in economic as well as in military ( and especially - military nuclear) spheres.
So in this case U.S. will have to find the alliance with Russia

Last edited:
This may be happening. Russia is set to acquire some military technology from the US. Russia is China's high technology (military/aerospace) supplier. They do command some sort of respect from them, however, in this regard.

That is the true.
But. In the nearest future U.S. will face to stronger China with its ambition to be the world's leader in economic as well as in military ( and especially - military nuclear) spheres.
So in this case U.S. will have to find the alliance with Russia

The last sentence of your post would be correct if America maintains it's current foreign policy. But the consensus in the US over the direction of American foreign policy is breaking down radically.

I was once a supporter of the American imperial project because it had the effect of raising living standards for all Americans. But I recognize that the world has changed. What was once possible is no longer possible.

So my views changed. I am a neo-isolationist with respect to American foreign policy. America has no future in the eastern hemisphere. America's sphere of influence is the western hemisphere.

An alliance with Russia will only involve America in conflicts with China. Meanwhile, America is at war with itself.

But I have no problem with selling American weapons technology to Russia. This is the same technology that the Chinese have already stolen from America through effective espionage.

Things have changed in America over the last ten years. America is simply too divided to be able to act effectively far from its shores.

It's a new day. Let the chips fall where they may.

Back
Top Bottom