• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China may send peacekeeping force to Afghanistan after US troops leave, observers say

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Beijing may consider sending a peacekeeping force to Afghanistan if the security situation in the South Asian country poses a threat to the neighbouring Chinese province of Xinjiang after
American troops pull out, analysts said.​

US President Joe Biden said on Wednesday that he would withdraw all remaining US troops – about 2,500 – from Afghanistan by September 11, the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attack in New York.

The withdrawal may pose a threat to Afghanistan’s security and stability, which could spill over into Xinjiang and disrupt China’s counterterrorism efforts.
In 2018, China trained Afghan troops and helped set up a mountain brigade. The training took place in China and the aim of the brigade was to counter possible attacks by al-Qaeda and
Islamic State.

COMMENT:-

At times the government of the PRC uses The South China Morning Post to float trial balloons, at other times it uses it for propaganda purposes, and the rest of the time it is actually a fairly good source for what MIGHT be happening in Asia.

Which of those it this article? Who knows.​

Now the Afghanis will experience life under China's thumb.

No, they won't.

This has been a fantasy among observers and analysts for years now, along with the dreams that India will take up the peacekeeping mantle. China will not get involved in Afghanistan anywhere near the level that ISAF or NATO was.

Let China do it for a while - it seems that it would be in their best interest, since Afghanistan borders China, although just barely. Afghanistan does not border India, since Pakistan is in the way, and I would expect India to be more concerned about Pakistan than about Afghanistan - I know I would be.

Well I live in Texas, so this affects me in exactly...*Takes out calculator*

0 ways. So I don't care.

EDIT: Why is this in the breaking news section? This is milquetoast news at best

Beijing may consider sending a peacekeeping force to Afghanistan if the security situation in the South Asian country poses a threat to the neighbouring Chinese province of Xinjiang after

US President Joe Biden said on Wednesday that he would withdraw all remaining US troops – about 2,500 – from Afghanistan by September 11, the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attack in New York.

The withdrawal may pose a threat to Afghanistan’s security and stability, which could spill over into Xinjiang and disrupt China’s counterterrorism efforts.
In 2018, China trained Afghan troops and helped set up a mountain brigade. The training took place in China and the aim of the brigade was to counter possible attacks by al-Qaeda and
Islamic State.

At times the government of the PRC uses The South China Morning Post to float trial balloons, at other times it uses it for propaganda purposes, and the rest of the time it is actually a fairly good source for what MIGHT be happening in Asia.​
That's very interesting. Thank you.

Somehow, I don't see an occupying force of Chinese military adding to the stability of the country. But who knows? Nothing else has worked.

Islamic State.

At times the government of the PRC uses The South China Morning Post to float trial balloons, at other times it uses it for propaganda purposes, and the rest of the time it is actually a fairly good source for what MIGHT be happening in Asia.​

Good. This is exactly how I want the rising Chinese Empire to struggle, by stretching itself thin.

0 ways. So I don't care.

EDIT: Why is this in the breaking news section? This is milquetoast news at best
You do realize that some people care about things that go on in the world. Some people also care about the well being of people besides themselves.

hmm. very interesting. Pakistan is already in CCP's back pocket, and Afghanistan is valueless. I guess it is more of a CCP's import own propaganda trick.

0 ways. So I don't care.

1. Read the criteria for "Breaking News".

2. Get back to me when you find the part that says "PROVIDED that it directly affects Texas".

That's very interesting. Thank you.

Somehow, I don't see an occupying force of Chinese military adding to the stability of the country. But who knows? Nothing else has worked.

I rather doubt that the Chinese are in the least bit interested in "occupying" Afghanistan. Had they been interested, they would have long since have sent troops.

To me it looks much more like a trial balloon for a PR stunt. On the other hand, I can also see how the announcement just might give rise to a "We can't abandon Afghanistan to the Commies - we HAVE TO keep our troops there." coming from those Americans who will do anything they can do to ensure that the US does not have a functional (non-Republcan) presidency/administration.

China should have did something with N. Korea. If anything is going to spill out in China it will most likely come from N. Korea.

We need to remove peace keeping troops from the Middle East and send them to central America and fix the nightmare the people have created there. Of course it won't do any good unless the wonderful people there grow a pair and fight with us instead expecting us to do it for them.

Islamic State.

Looking to get some combat experience for their troops, it seems.

hmm. very interesting. Pakistan is already in CCP's back pocket, and Afghanistan is valueless. I guess it is more of a CCP's import own propaganda trick.

Afghanistan has over 1,400 mineral fields,[1][2][3] containing barite, chromite, coal, copper, gold, iron ore, lead, natural gas, petroleum, precious and semi-precious stones, salt, sulfur, talc, and zinc, among many other minerals.[1][4] Gemstones include high-quality emerald, lapis lazuli, red garnet and ruby. According to a joint study by The Pentagon and the United States Geological Survey, Afghanistan has an estimated US$7 trillion[5] of untapped minerals.

Well, okay, if you say so.

Islamic State.

Great news!

Since the 19th century, the Afghans have chased out the British, the Russians, and now the Americans.

It would be delicious to see them chase out the Chinese, a defeat that might help overthrow those old tyrants in Peiping (the non-Communist name for that city).

Reactions: PoS
I rather doubt that the Chinese are in the least bit interested in "occupying" Afghanistan. Had they been interested, they would have long since have sent troops.

To me it looks much more like a trial balloon for a PR stunt. On the other hand, I can also see how the announcement just might give rise to a "We can't abandon Afghanistan to the Commies - we HAVE TO keep our troops there." coming from those Americans who will do anything they can do to ensure that the US does not have a functional (non-Republcan) presidency/administration.
I agree on all points.

Another reminder that the Chinese media IS a part of the government, and their key role is in presenting the ruling party in a positive light. This could just be to present the Chinese government as players on the world stage. 'We could do this - and better than the US - if we wanted to.'

There's no reason for any US troops to be anywhere else in the world except US installations unless they're on a temporary training mission.

Great news!

Since the 19th century, the Afghans have chased out the British, the Russians, and now the Americans.

It would be delicious to see them chase out the Chinese, a defeat that might help overthrow those old tyrants in Peiping (the non-Communist name for that city).
I guess that depends on whether someone helps the Afghan freedom fighters/terrorist or if a world wide joint effort will be used to actually resolve the problem. I guess with Chine attempting to solve the problem our CIA will start training and arming the terrorist/freedom fighters again.

Peace is gonna come to Afghanistan for sure now, I mean seriously, who doesn`t like Chinese food? Gotta be better than McDonalds.

images.jpg

@AFrench2
You do realize that some people care about things that go on in the world. Some people also care about the well being of people besides themselves.
... and some people are smart enough to realize that situations around the world actually do affect us half a world away, but that takes being educated.

China should have did something with N. Korea. If anything is going to spill out in China it will most likely come from N. Korea.

We need to remove peace keeping troops from the Middle East and send them to central America and fix the nightmare the people have created there. Of course it won't do any good unless the wonderful people there grow a pair and fight with us instead expecting us to do it for them.

China was doing something about North Korea. So was Russia:

- On 30 March 2010, President Dmitry Medvedev signed a decree implementing intensified United Nations Security Council sanctions against Pyongyang's nuclear programs.

- In December 2013 Russia joined the sanctions against North Korea, introduced in March by the UN Security Council (Resolution 2087).

-In December 2016, Resolution 2321, passed and capped North Korea's coal exports and banned exports of copper, nickel, zinc, and silver. In February 2017, a UN panel said that 116 of 193 member states had not yet submitted a report on their implementation of these sanctions, though China had.

- In February 2017, China banned all imports of coal from North Korea for the rest of that year. China also banned exports of some petroleum products and imports of textiles from North Korea in line with United Nations resolutions. This certainly played its part in North Korea's lashing out for the year. In April 2017, North Korea began what would be a total of seventeen launches while Trump instigated and played Twitter games with Kim.

- In October 2017 Vladimir Putin signed Presidential decree No. 484 "On measures to implement UN Security Council resolution 2321 of November 30, 2016" imposing sanctions on North Korea in connection with the adoption of UN Security Council resolution 2321 of 30 November 2016.

THEN.......

*** In January 2018, Trump's trade war crusade against China and constant denigration began.

*** In June 2019, both China and Russia blocked UN efforts to declare that North Korea was violating oil caps.

*** In December 2019, China and Russia proposed the U.N. Security Council lift a ban on North Korea exporting statues, seafood and textiles, in a move Russia said is aimed at encouraging talks between Washington and Pyongyang.

*** By late 2020, China was being accused of helping North Korea evade UN sanctions.

Seems odd for Russia and China to "encourage" successful talks when our Allies stuck with us and held to the sanctions. Some might easily argue that Trump's trade-war crusade, starting in January 2018, and constant denigration of China, wrecked their support against North Korea, which is absolutely needed. Then came his constant beratement over COVID as a scapegoat for his own poor leadership. And with China shoving it in Trump's face, Russia saw opportunity to push its own agenda to antagonize and thwart American efforts in the world. And Russia, having much of its foreign policy pandered to, pushed their other policy of helping China usurp America and the West on the world stage.

This is the crap I mean when I say that Trump worked against America's interests. At one point, we had Iran locked down, and China/Russia working with us against North Korea. Then came the orange idiot to play reality TV with the White House. Now where are we? Iran has an open door to a nuke. Iran was pushed closer to China's orbit, which now has direct access into the greater Middle East for oil and an extension of their new Silk Road. Iran, China, and Russia have unobstructed geoeconomic and political influence straight to Israel's border and to the Mediterranean Sea. Every single Cold War President would roll over in their graves if they knew what a mess this douche made of things in such a short period of time.

Last edited:

You might want to make a start by admitting that "Those People" who have created the nightmare are the people that the US government has fostered and supported because - REGARDLESS of whatever else they did - they "supported" (read as "did as they were told by") the US government.

Great news!

It would be delicious to see them chase out the Chinese, a defeat that might help overthrow those old tyrants in Peiping (the non-Communist name for that city).​

Actually "Peiping" is NOT the "non-Communist name" for the capital city of China. The name of the city is Beijing (beɪˈdʒɪŋ/ BAY-JING - Wade-Giles romanization Pei-ching - Mandarin pronunciation: [pèi.tɕíŋ]) and the older Romanization of the name is Peking. The only other "capital city" of China for the past 1,000+ years have been Nanking [alt Nanjing] (renamed as Beiping [alt Pei-p’ing]) from 1368–1644 and from 1928–49 (the city was NOT renamed during the later period), Chongqing (alt Chungking) during WWII, and, <SARC>of course, Taipei from 1949 to the present</SARC>.​

Back
Top Bottom