• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China looks like it's getting worried -- Xi urges Putin to negotiate

Interesting, though I'm curious as to what there would be to negotiate since Ukraine has done nothing to warrant the attack.

Putin is just very threatened by NATO coming so close. It wants a buffer. That's at least the excuse.

China is Putin's accomplice, and that's it. Anything where it deviates from Russia is simply where it sees that as in its interest to do so.

Putin is just very threatened by NATO coming so close. It wants a buffer. That's at least the excuse.
That's his propaganda narrative. There may be some truth to it, but he confessed to more truth than that when he gave his speech this week saying he thinks Russia is entitled to its pre-USSR empire, which was about 17% of the world's land (it now has 11% even with the losses from the USSR).

I suspect Rachel Maddow tonight had a more plausible motive, that Putin has crewed up Russia so badly, with a low per capita income, that he can't stand to have neighbors who Russians relate to seen as in a much more successful country, showing them how badly Putin runs Russia.

As well as Putin's long-time resentment over the fall of the Soviet Union among other motives.

Even if there was a nugget of the issue about concern about Ukraine and NATO, Ukraine wasn't going to be joining NATO for at least years to come, with a lot of opposition to their joining from NATO members, suggesting Putin's motive is simply aggression and NATO is one of his excuses, like his false flag attacks. Regardless, it gives him no justification under the UN charter.

I read this AM that Putin is going to demand the total demilitarization of the Ukraine. Can you imagine a sovereign country agreeing to leave itself totally defenceless? Talk about enslaving yourself to Putin. Time to put a contract out on him......no Putin the world is much safer.

No signs of worry whatsoever if you read it as it was said

“China supports Russia and Ukraine to resolve issues through negotiations,” Xi said, according to China Central Television. Putin told Xi that “Russia is willing to conduct high-level talks with Ukraine,” the broadcaster said .
Just saying the obvious and keeping matters looking fine and dandy.

Not actually news . More like -- giving you what you expect me to say .

That's his propaganda narrative. There may be some truth to it, but he confessed to more truth than that when he gave his speech this week saying he thinks Russia is entitled to its pre-USSR empire, which was about 17% of the world's land (it now has 11% even with the losses from the USSR).

I suspect Rachel Maddow tonight had a more plausible motive, that Putin has crewed up Russia so badly, with a low per capita income, that he can't stand to have neighbors who Russians relate to seen as in a much more successful country, showing them how badly Putin runs Russia.

As well as Putin's long-time resentment over the fall of the Soviet Union among other motives.

Even if there was a nugget of the issue about concern about Ukraine and NATO, Ukraine wasn't going to be joining NATO for at least years to come, with a lot of opposition to their joining from NATO members, suggesting Putin's motive is simply aggression and NATO is one of his excuses, like his false flag attacks. Regardless, it gives him no justification under the UN charter.
It has been known for decades that Russia could have a more dynamic more diverse economy if Putin and the Oligarchs (sounds like a rock band) would just let it. But a more dynamic more diverse economy is harder to control as is a population benefiting from it which would surely be the case if Russia's economy were in fact more dynamic and more diverse.

Truth is, Putin and the Oligarchs don't even know how to do it. Sort of a version of "what we don't think we need, we don't want to know"

I agree, That is the "excuse" Putin used. Wonder if Putin ever looked at a map showing NATO members.

Interesting read.

But what exactly is Ukraine to "negotiate"? They didn't ask to be invaded, did they?
Evidently he is demanding that they demiltarize totally....no arms, no army .

What makes Putin think anything?

I read this AM that Putin is going to demand the total demilitarization of the Ukraine. Can you imagine a sovereign country agreeing to leave itself totally defenceless? Talk about enslaving yourself to Putin. Time to put a contract out on him......no Putin the world is much safer.

It's likely simply the age old technique of wanting to be able to claim he was willing to negotiate, while having unreasonable terms making it a farce. Which his demand to agree they can never enter NATO might have been also. It lets him tell Russians he tried to negotiate.

What would make him think they will - or should - agree to that?

I will say two things

That is what Israel wants the Palestinians to agree to

Second, what would the US do to Mexico if Mexico decided to let Russia operate its military in that country?

It's likely simply the age old technique of wanting to be able to claim he was willing to negotiate, while having unreasonable terms making it a farce. Which his demand to agree they can never enter NATO might have been also. It lets him tell Russians he tried to negotiate.
........and Tucker says Putin is justified and Trudeau is a tyrant and bobble heads bobble

I will say two things

That is what Israel wants the Palestinians to agree to

Second, what would the US do to Mexico if Mexico decided to let Russia operate its military in that country?

Yup to the first thing.

And I'm not sure to the second thing. I assume we would object to that happening.

Normally or now? Given our loud talk about every nation having the right to do that, it might limit our reaction currently. I suspect we'd have a greater reaction if China did that - and that seems more likely.

Normally or now? Given our loud talk about every nation having the right to do that, it might limit our reaction currently. I suspect we'd have a greater reaction if China did that - and that seems more likely.

A military coup organized by the CIA would be attempted first, direct US action would be the last ditch attempt

What would make him think they will - or should - agree to that?
Well, when you dicker, you don't start right off with what you'll accept in the end.

This excuse I believe to be the truth. It also explains why Putin had no need to invade while Trump was president. Trump was doing Putin's job weakening NATO all by himself. Another four years and Putin wouldn't need a buffer.

Yep, the thing is all of that could have likely been accomplished without an invasion; which is why I suspect regime change will be coming and is the main reason.

I agree, That is the "excuse" Putin used. Wonder if Putin ever looked at a map showing NATO members.

It's funny- I remember an interview with then-president Medvedev in 2008 about the possibility of Russia joining the EU and even NATO. Russia was well on its way to becoming a respectable member of the civilized world. That was before Putin started making Russia an international pariah again. Just think if he had focused his efforts on cleaning up all the corruption in his country and creating an economic infrastructure, instead of invading Georgia and shooting down Dutch airlines.

The writing on the wall that Xi sees is that the Ukrainians are going to kick Russia's ass. That might make a scared Putin do something really stupid. Better to negotiate than become radioactive.

Back
Top Bottom