• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China is watching

Chainsawmassacre

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
When Putin encircled Ukraine and finally invaded I figured he'd go through that country like the proverbial hot knife through butter and China would be emboldened to do the same in Taiwan. I was very wrong about Ukraine and underestimated their fighting spirit as I overestimated Russian military prowess. I also underestimated the worldwide response and the resulting isolation of Putin's Russia.
China must be having some serious second thoughts about Taiwan and that country may be safe for the foreseeable future. As horrific as events in Ukraine are this may end up being a shift in the geopolitical world that will usher in a new era of peace.

This is probably why China is trying to thread the needle on the Russian aggression. They don't want to look like hypocrites if they they decide to go for it in the future.

Perhaps the US would be smart to build up stocks in Japan and other nearby bases they can yeet over there if needed.

When Putin encircled Ukraine and finally invaded I figured he'd go through that country like the proverbial hot knife through butter and China would be emboldened to do the same in Taiwan. I was very wrong about Ukraine and underestimated their fighting spirit as I overestimated Russian military prowess. I also underestimated the worldwide response and the resulting isolation of Putin's Russia.
China must be having some serious second thoughts about Taiwan and that country may be safe for the foreseeable future. As horrific as events in Ukraine are this may end up being a shift in the geopolitical world that will usher in a new era of peace.

Agreed, President Biden has done very well in leading our Nation and the world on this issue Chainsaw.
See, we've had some inflation and some problems from the supply chain that anyone would have had because of covid, but when there is a true global crisis we see how a true Leader like President Biden behaves, gawd I'm glad we're not being humiliated on the world stage right now by a sitting President kissing Putins arse as he marches through Ukraine.

Well done President Biden & Ukraine. I support it. (y)

Agreed, President Biden has done very well in leading our Nation and the world on this issue Chainsaw.
See, we've had some inflation and some problems from the supply chain that anyone would have had because of covid, but when there is a true global crisis we see how a true Leader like President Biden behaves, gawd I'm glad we're not being humiliated on the world stage right now by a sitting President kissing Putins arse as he marches through Ukraine.

Well done President Biden & Ukraine. I support it. (y)
I agree. He took some well deserved licks over the Afghanistan withdrawal but so far he's done what I expected: level threats (some empty; some not), let EU lead, and avoid a direct shooting war.

Interesting idea. We can hope that is the case.

Yeah.

Even if China does eventually take Taiwan, it will be a tough fight.

Hopefully, the Taiwanese will use planes or drones to wreak havoc on Shanghai or even Beijing (especially the compound where all the Chinese tyrants live).

Who knows.

Such chaos might even mean the beginning of the end of Red China.

the Ukrainians have done a lot better than I anticipated, I hope they can continue to hold on until the Russians are forced to pull back.

It's past time for countries to put down their weapons and give up on world (or regional) dominance and realize this planet has become interwoven to the point that moving forward requires cooperation, and the way backwards is war. That goes for the citizens and everyone who thinks divisions and 'sides' is the way; this thinking is just a ginormous stick-in-the mud stifling the progress we have to strive for, and is inevitable unless we destroy ourselves first.

It takes entire societies and governments to strive and make positive change, and only 1 crazy in a position of power to destroy everything.

China is, of course, watching. Hopefully this will be a lesson for them not to push shit right now, but who knows. But Biden worked and pushed an aggregated economic response with the US, Europe, and our other allies that will significantly impact Russia's stability. China has to look at this response and run their numbers to see if they could withstand such a united economic strike.

We can certainly hope, but remember that Taiwan is a very different situation than Ukraine. The United Nations since 1971 has viewed the island as "the Taiwan Province of China"; mainland China has never recognized Taiwan's sovereignty, obviously unlike Ukraine, which Taiwan reciprocates in turn according to then-president of Taiwan/Republic of China in 2013; "The Republic of China is a sovereign country, and mainland China is part of our territory according to the Constitution." From what I gather, in consequence of China's policy to have no diplomatic relations with countries which recognize Taiwan, neither the USA nor most other countries have any formal diplomacy or defense agreements with Taiwan. Unless there's some major change in that situation, a forceful takeover of Taiwan by China may well be met with the same relative apathy as the 'internal issue' of China's persecution of the Uyghurs. Even Russia's previous occupations/annexations of separatist regions in Georgia and Ukraine in 2008 and 2014 received fairly muted responses.

We can certainly hope, but remember that Taiwan is a very different situation than Ukraine. The United Nations since 1971 has viewed the island as "the Taiwan Province of China"; mainland China has never recognized Taiwan's sovereignty, obviously unlike Ukraine, which Taiwan reciprocates in turn according to then-president of Taiwan/Republic of China in 2013; "The Republic of China is a sovereign country, and mainland China is part of our territory according to the Constitution." From what I gather, in consequence of China's policy to have no diplomatic relations with countries which recognize Taiwan, neither the USA nor most other countries have any formal diplomacy or defense agreements with Taiwan. Unless there's some major change in that situation, a forceful takeover of Taiwan by China may well be met with the same relative apathy as the 'internal issue' of China's persecution of the Uyghurs. Even Russia's previous occupations/annexations of separatist regions in Georgia and Ukraine in 2008 and 2014 received fairly muted responses.
A well thought out post and I don’t totally disagree but I honestly believe the world reaction to Putin and it’s economic effect on Russia will give China pause not encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom