• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China demands release of Huawei executive arrested in Canada

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Canada arrested the vice-chair of Chinese tech firm Huawei and the daughter of the CEO of the company. She is expected to be extradited to the U.S. Huawei is the company which attempted to sell embargoed Hewlett-Packard computer equipment to Iran’s largest mobile-phone operator had closer ties to Huawei than was previously known.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/05/meng-wanzhou-huawei-cfo-arrested-vancouver

China has demanded the immediate release of a senior Huawei telecoms executive whose arrest is threatening to develop into a major diplomatic incident.

Beijing is calling for both Ottawa and Washington to clarify their reasons for the detention of Meng Wanzhou the Chinese company’s global chief financial officer, who was arrested in Vancouver on Saturday and faces extradition to the US. Canada confirmed her detention on Wednesday night.

The Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said on Thursday that Beijing had separately called on the US and Canada to immediately clarify the reasons for the detention and “immediately release the detained person”.

Oh because China demands... :roll:

Canada..... what are you doing? Disappointed.....

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

Trump is going to find out that he has no right to tell OPEC how to set their prices or how much to reduce their production. Trump thinks he can dictate to China who they sell their electronics to and who they can't. Well, he's not a dictator and even if he were, he cannot control what other countries do and how they do commerce. China is angry and the U.S. just may have awakened a sleeping dragon this time.

Keep an eye on the stock market today. The Dow futures are already in the negative -372 and the market hasn't opened in the U.S. yet and won't for another hour.

Last edited:
Canada arrested the vice-chair of Chinese tech firm Huawei and the daughter of the CEO of the company. She is expected to be extradited to the U.S. Huawei is the company which attempted to sell embargoed Hewlett-Packard computer equipment to Iran’s largest mobile-phone operator had closer ties to Huawei than was previously known.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/05/meng-wanzhou-huawei-cfo-arrested-vancouver

China has demanded the immediate release of a senior Huawei telecoms executive whose arrest is threatening to develop into a major diplomatic incident.

Beijing is calling for both Ottawa and Washington to clarify their reasons for the detention of Meng Wanzhou the Chinese company’s global chief financial officer, who was arrested in Vancouver on Saturday and faces extradition to the US. Canada confirmed her detention on Wednesday night.

The Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said on Thursday that Beijing had separately called on the US and Canada to immediately clarify the reasons for the detention and “immediately release the detained person”.

The Iran embargo is a bogus operation. It is Saudi Arabia that should be embargoed. Iran is entrapped in endless Energy intrigues and power plays in the MidEast. About time we stopped meddling.
/

Actual wrongdoer?

High profile hostage for the trade war negotiations? Will there be a prisoner exchange? Release the hostage in exchange for buying American cars?

I'm a little scared for our business people traveling in China or the Middle East right now in case someone attempts retaliation. But they should have known the risks of doing business in that part of the world ... and people who travel here need to be vigilant these days ... I just hope this doesn't erupt into something much uglier.

Actual wrongdoer?

High profile hostage for the trade war negotiations? Will there be a prisoner exchange? Release the hostage in exchange for buying American cars?

I'm a little scared for our business people traveling in China or the Middle East right now in case someone attempts retaliation. But they should have known the risks of doing business in that part of the world ... and people who travel here need to be vigilant these days ... I just hope this doesn't erupt into something much uglier.

Yep. And of course it helps a lot not to be American, Trump appears to be helping non-Americans get a leg up on doing business with China.

As a non-American, I would like to say Thank you Donald for conning your base! :)

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear as well. If it were related to sanctions, it makes no sense that they just don't say that. The whole purpose of sanctions is to discourage behavior.

The article does hint, later on, that this could be espionage related... which would better explain the secrecy.

Huawei – one of the world’s largest telecoms equipment and services providers – has been tightly constrained in the US by worries it could undermine local competitors and that its phones and networking equipment, used widely in other countries, could provide Beijing with avenues for espionage.

On Wednesday, BT, the UK telecoms group, confirmed that it was in the process of removing Huawei equipment from the key parts of its 3G and 4G networks, as part of an existing internal policy not to have the Chinese company at the centre of its infrastructure. The head of MI6 also suggested this week that the UK needed to decide if it was “comfortable” with Chinese ownership of the technology being used.

Governments in New Zealand and Australia have also moved to block the use of Huawei’s equipment in future 5G networks.

Actual wrongdoer?

Doesn't look good. What goes around comes around.

We lost the moral high-ground to complain when one of our citizens is arrested in a foreign country for political reasons.

The Iran embargo is a bogus operation. It is Saudi Arabia that should be embargoed. Iran is entrapped in endless Energy intrigues and power plays in the MidEast. About time we stopped meddling.
/

There's more to it than that. Wait and see.

We lost the moral high-ground to complain when one of our citizens is arrested in a foreign country for political reasons.

We aren't talking about an American kid stealing sunglasses. We are talking about bank fraud.

America seems to think it's the UN ... America has no right to expect companies from 3rd countries to obey there sanctions and by demanding a business person from another country to be arrested in a 3rd country so they can be extradited to America just goes to show both America and Canada to be tinpot countries .... and Americans say they don't understand why America is so hated around the globe ... no one likes a bully that is what America is

Bank fraud/scheme to evade U.S sanctions against Iran.
A) Establish that she defrauded a bank. It seems to me that the banks themselves were bending over backwards.
B) Evading U.S. sanctions isn't a crime for a foreigner. Foreign nations and individuals aren't obligated to bow to U.S. edicts.

A) Establish that she defrauded a bank. It seems to me that the banks themselves were bending over backwards.
B) Evading U.S. sanctions isn't a crime for a foreigner. Foreign nations and individuals aren't obligated to bow to U.S. edicts.

I believe this has been going on since 2013 so I am sure the U.S has plenty of evidence.

Bank fraud/scheme to evade U.S sanctions against Iran.

And? That is not illegal outside the US. If Canada extradites her, then just watch how other nations will cut off the US from any and all judicial help. This is hardly the first time the US abuses its "world power" status to promote its own laws and rules over others and it has to stop.

If you want her so badly, then wait till she is on US soil.

I believe this has been going on since 2013 so I am sure the U.S has plenty of evidence.

So what.. We have plenty of evidence against US officials for murder and torture, and yet we cant get our hands on them.. should we start asking for extradition of the CIA director, Rusmfeldt, Cheney, Bush Jr?

MTAtech said:
It's not a question of evidence, it's a matter of whether there was a crime. U.S. laws aren't the laws of physics, that apply everywhere. The U.S. can only make laws for its own borders and citizens.

China should employ native-speaking English speakers to draft its propaganda.

In regard to the case addressed in this thread, China has made the same accusation whenever the Chinese government feels that China has been wronged: This action by foreigners "has hurt the feelings of the Chinese people."

The bureaucrats who write such a sentence do not realize that such maudlin English only produces chuckles, not sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom