• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China cancels half billion dollar investment in Russian gas

Nice. That will, hopefully, have quite an impact, whatever the real motive. China likes to look good on the world stage would be my guess.

Depends what you call working. Sanctions will clearly hurt the anemic Russian economy. They will not stop the Russian slaughter.

You might also want to consider how many millions will die due in poor nations due to the spike in basic food costs. Not hard to see sanctions indirectly killing more poor in the world than the war in Ukraine.

Nice. That will, hopefully, have quite an impact, whatever the real motive. China likes to look good on the world stage would be my guess.
I don't think China cares much how they look on the world stage if that means popular opinion. I think China isn't willing to put It's money where It's mouth is. Supporting a Russian claim on Ukraine would be their best bet re. Taiwan but pragmatism on money matters trumps all.

Depends what you call working. Sanctions will clearly hurt the anemic Russian economy. They will not stop the Russian slaughter.

You might also want to consider how many millions will die due in poor nations due to the spike in basic food costs. Not hard to see sanctions indirectly killing more poor in the world than the war in Ukraine.
No one sanctioned grain. Putin is holding it back in retaliation.

"You guys"? I think the sanctions are doing just fine.
And as Putin and the oligarchs continue to bleed bucks and euros they (the sanctions) will get more and more effective.

And as Putin and the oligarchs continue to bleed bucks and euros they (the sanctions) will get more and more effective.

Sanctions will do less than the Ukrainian army in stopping Russian aggression. Putin made what may be (for him) a fatal mistake.

All I can do is hope that China is sincere. we shall see.

You don't think the Russian people will get to the point where they say, "enough is enough" and overthrow Putin? You know that's the purpose of the sanctions. Why do you root for communism and against democracy? Why do you hate America, sir?

I think the Chinese are trying to blackmail the Russians into lowering their prices.

You don't think the Russian people will get to the point where they say, "enough is enough" and overthrow Putin? You know that's the purpose of the sanctions. Why do you root for communism and against democracy? Why do you hate America, sir?

Have any examples of sanctions resulting in revolution?

Do you have any background in history? Are you aware there has already been one Russian Revolution?

You're welcome.

Do you have any background in history? Are you aware there has already been one Russian Revolution?

You're welcome.

No. Was the Russian Revolution of 1917 the result of US-imposed sanctions?

No. Was the Russian Revolution of 1917 the result of US-imposed sanctions?
Umm.. you don't know what you're talking about. The issue isn't "sanctions". The issue is - how long are the Russian people going to put up with their lives the way it is before revolting? How about when husbands and boyfriends start coming home from Ukraine in body bags? How long do you think the Russian people are going to put up with that? You keep harping on "sanctions" as if this is the only thing that's going on here. Please knock it off.

Umm.. you don't know what you're talking about. The issue isn't "sanctions". ... You keep harping on "sanctions" as if this is the only thing that's going on here. Please knock it off.

Then why did you say what you did in #11?

You should ask instead: "are there any examples of a ruined economy resulting in revolution"?

And the answer would be: yes, plenty.
The Russian revolution of 1917 was mainly because the whole Czarist economy was in shambles because of WW1.
The fall of the USSR in 1991 was because the Soviet economy had basically stagnated into a unworkable mess.
Putin's rise to prominence in Russia was in the wake of the Russian economical collapse in 1998, because how mismanaged the Russian economy had been in the 90s.

Russia's main regime changes have been because their economy has collapsed.

No, but they're great at starting wars. It was draconian war reparations after WW1 which devastated Germany's economy and were an important catalyst in Hitler's warmongering ambitions.

No, but they're great at starting wars. It was draconian war reparations after WW1 which devastated Germany's economy and were an important catalyst in Hitler's warmongering ambitions.

I was thinking similarly. But I flunked world history in kindergarten, so I gotta be careful.

Back
Top Bottom