• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China bans government use of Windows 8

I am glad it works for you. It is was not well received by the industry. It is not a good operating system in my opinion. The opinion is echoed throughout the computing industry.

Oh...I don't mind anyone having their own opinion. I would caution you about what FACTS you base your opinion on, though. If you base your opinion on the erroneous words of someone who is touted as being an "expert", you end up with an erroneous opinion.

I use my computers for CAD (engineered drawings). XP runs the program well. My experience with 7 & 8 is that CAD crashes at very random times.

Also, XP is great for gaming. And it is energy efficient according to the Chinese government.

All of the technical programs that I have used from engineering mathematics programs to statistical analysis programs have all run through XP best.

Thread: China bans government use of Windows 8

It would seem the Chinese government actually does care about it's people and wishes to protect them from extreme frustration.

All of the technical programs that I have used from engineering mathematics programs to statistical analysis programs have all run through XP best.

That's good.

One suggestion, though: When you are running XP to use those programs, don't connect your computer to the internet.

I am glad it works for you. It is was not well received by the industry. It is not a good operating system in my opinion. The opinion is echoed throughout the computing industry.
But...but....one person who spent way more on his computer than he should have says he never had problems! Doesn't that mean anything to you?

Oh...I don't mind anyone having their own opinion. I would caution you about what FACTS you base your opinion on, though. If you base your opinion on the erroneous words of someone who is touted as being an "expert", you end up with an erroneous opinion.

And you haven't presented a fact yet. Just your opinion on your experience.

And you haven't presented a fact yet. Just your opinion on your experience.

??

I posted a screenshot of my computer system multi-tasking...the very thing your expert said Win8 cannot do. That was a fact, not an opinion.

But...but....one person who spent way more on his computer than he should have says he never had problems! Doesn't that mean anything to you?

LOL!! Now that's funny!! Stupid, but funny!

So you are thinking the only reason Win8 works is because I spent more money than YOU think I should have on my computer? Don't you realize just how freakin' dumb that statement is?

??

I posted a screenshot of my computer system multi-tasking...the very thing your expert said Win8 cannot do. That was a fact, not an opinion.

That is what your arguement is? You made a screen shot of multiple windows...multitasking? You are referring to the old platform of Windows whereas he was referring to the new tableted features of Windows.

So you are thinking the only reason Win8 works is because I spent more money than YOU think I should have on my computer? Don't you realize just how freakin' dumb that statement is?

The funny thing is that the alternatives are what exactly? Mac OS and Linux? Is Shyfox696 arguing that Macs are not overpriced? Because LOL.

If his argumentis in favor of Linux then the old adage in my business holds true: "Linux is only free if your time is worth nothing."

Unfortunately for the average users the only alternative on the desktop (which will always exist despite predictions) is to refuse to upgrade and tell MS why they refuse loud and often. Refuse to buy anything else from them until they clean the wax out of their ears. Leave MS Office and use one of the free versions, make sure you tell MS.

For the more experienced users, run the server versions as a desktop. It works great and none of the tablet nonsense there. Not to mention they'll support server OSes longer.

That is what your arguement is? You made a screen shot of multiple windows...multitasking? You are referring to the old platform of Windows whereas he was referring to the new tableted features of Windows.

Useability expert Raluca Budiu of the Nielsen Norman Group said, "Windows 8 is optimized for content consumption rather than content production and multitasking. Whereas content consumption can easily be done on other media (tablets and phones), production and multitasking are still best suited for PCs. Windows 8 appears to ignore that."

hmmm...

Seems to me your expert referred, exactly, to "Windows 8". He says that Windows 8 ignores production and multitasking. My screenshot was of multiple windows...multiple programs...up and running at the same time. That is multitasking. You know...that thing your expert says Win8 ignores. Your expert is wrong, as I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

But, hey...you go ahead and cling to your erroneous expert. I'm sure that, in your mind, he is a great foundation for your erroneous opinion. LOL!!

hmmm...

Seems to me your expert referred, exactly, to "Windows 8". He says that Windows 8 ignores production and multitasking. My screenshot was of multiple windows...multiple programs...up and running at the same time. That is multitasking. You know...that thing your expert says Win8 ignores. Your expert is wrong, as I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

But, hey...you go ahead and cling to your erroneous expert. I'm sure that, in your mind, he is a great foundation for your erroneous opinion. LOL!!

You need to actually read what you quote:

Windows 8 is optimized for content consumption rather than content production and multitasking

The author didn't say multitasking doesn't work at all. Yeah, it does, but the OS is not optimized for desktop use, and quite a bit of business and personal use is indeed desktop use. I don't want a touchscreen thank you, not for work. The keyboard and mouse are actually much quicker and easier in that regard.

Win 8 is just fine on tablet or phone. But it's a piece of puke on the desktop. MS needs to understand the one OS idea is idiocy.

Unfortunately for the average users the only alternative on the desktop (which will always exist despite predictions) is to refuse to upgrade and tell MS why they refuse loud and often. Refuse to buy anything else from them until they clean the wax out of their ears. Leave MS Office and use one of the free versions, make sure you tell MS.

For the more experienced users, run the server versions as a desktop. It works great and none of the tablet nonsense there. Not to mention they'll support server OSes longer.

Oh...there is another alternative for the average user. One that doesn't require the added expense of running a server version on their desktop and that saves them the time and effort of tilting at windmills (complaining to MS). They only need to run Win8 in desktop mode. They never have to see the tiled interface if they don't want to.

In regard to MS Office, I agree. I use LibreOffice, myself. Saves me money.

You need to actually read what you quote:

The author didn't say multitasking doesn't work at all. Yeah, it does, but the OS is not optimized for desktop use, and quite a bit of business and personal use is indeed desktop use. I don't want a touchscreen thank you, not for work. The keyboard and mouse are actually much quicker and easier in that regard.

Win 8 is just fine on tablet or phone. But it's a piece of puke on the desktop. MS needs to understand the one OS idea is idiocy.

So...you are trying to tell me that Win8 doesn't work well in desktop mode? I don't know...I haven't had any problems in that regard. Perhaps you can tell me exactly what doesn't work well, eh? Be aware, that "expert" already blew it when he talked about content production and multitasking.

Actually...you might start with explaining exactly what is meant by "not optimized for desktop use" (your words) or "optimized for content consumption rather than content production and multitasking" (that so-called expert's words).

hmmm...

Under your terms of proof, if I show you a screen of CAD failing on Windows 8 and it working on XP, that would prove that the OS does not work. Sorry, I don't have the time to show you a picture of CAD failing in Win 8 like your argument.

Under your terms of proof, if I show you a screen of CAD failing on Windows 8 and it working on XP, that would prove that the OS does not work. Sorry, I don't have the time to show you a picture of CAD failing in Win 8 like your argument.

Actually, no. That wouldn't be proof that the OS doesn't work. It would only be proof that your CAD software doesn't work in Win8.

When there were instances of software that worked with XP not working in Win7, nobody said Win7 didn't work...that Win7 was a failed OS.

In my case, the contention was that Win8 ignores content production and multitasking. My proof showed that those things work very well.

No, dude...you really DO need to show Win8 not working.

Actually, no. That wouldn't be proof that the OS doesn't work. It would only be proof that your CAD software doesn't work in Win8.

When there were instances of software that worked with XP not working in Win7, nobody said Win7 didn't work...that Win7 was a failed OS.

In my case, the contention was that Win8 ignores content production and multitasking. My proof showed that those things work very well.

No, dude...you really DO need to show Win8 not working.

Define what is not working, then maybe we can have a conversation. If turning on is your basis of working, I have some old CS projects to sell you.

That's not what I said at all. I was mocking the idea of spending that much money on a computer. And I was mocking people who think one person's anecdotes change facts. I never said anything about the significant cost of your computer affecting your experience with it. So, yeah, I realize how dumb that statement is, which is why I wouldn't have thought to say it.

You said, if I'm not mistaken, you spent $3500 on your computer. I'm very interested to know what you purchased for $3500 and, more importantly, why you think you had to spend that much for a future proof machine.

That's not what I said at all. I was mocking the idea of spending that much money on a computer. And I was mocking people who think one person's anecdotes change facts. I never said anything about the significant cost of your computer affecting your experience with it. So, yeah, I realize how dumb that statement is, which is why I wouldn't have thought to say it.

You said, if I'm not mistaken, you spent $3500 on your computer. I'm very interested to know what you purchased for $3500 and, more importantly, why you think you had to spend that much for a future proof machine.

Okay...I guess I didn't realize you were being sarcastic in your remark. However, while I've said many times that I don't have problems with Win8, I've also demonstrated that some "expert" is totally wrong by showing that Win8 can do what he says it won't do. That wasn't an anecdote.

In regards to my system, I probably didn't HAVE to spend so much...but I chose to...and I had a specific reason to make that choice. I don't want to have to spend large amounts of money on upgrades for at least 5+ years. And I won't.

I have a motherboard that can accommodate 3 graphics cards, though I only use 2 cards at the moment. I have the ability to add another one in the future.

I have a 1200W power supply that provides more than enough power for my needs right now, so it will be up to the task of providing power if and when I add components.

I have 16GB's of Ram...but I only use half the slots available to me. Should I need more ram in the future, I'll have no problems plugging in more sticks.

I have a 256GB SSD, a 1TB internal hard drive and a 1TB portable drive. I won't be adding drives for a little while, at least.

My CPU is a hyperthreaded 6-core i7 processor. The software I use right now doesn't come near to stressing that CPU, but future software might. I'll be able to handle it with ease. Heck, right now I don't even have to overclock the thing...though I can.

I use a closed-loop water cooled system for the CPU. If I ever OC or use software that stresses my processor, the cooler will be up to the task.

I also have two 27" 1080p monitors...but I had those before I built this computer. They are more of a convenience than anything to do with being "future proof", but I have to say that I don't see myself going back to a single monitor ever again. I would love to add a 27" touchscreen monitor to my setup, but current prices make that an unwise move. But when I do add it, my graphics cards will certainly be up to the task of driving all three monitors.

Oh...and I use Win8...upgraded to Win8.1 Upgrade 1, so far. XP not supported anymore? I don't care. Win7 scheduled to end patch support in 2015 and security fix support in 2020? No problem. I'm good to go.

Last edited:
Define what is not working, then maybe we can have a conversation. If turning on is your basis of working, I have some old CS projects to sell you.

You define it. You are the one who says your CAD software doesn't work. You are the one who says Win8 doesn't work. You are the one who cites an expert who is full of crap.

Last edited:
You define it. You are the one who says your CAD software doesn't work. You are the one who says Win8 doesn't work. You are the one who cites an expert who is full of crap.

Show evidence he is full of crap. Preferably by a peer. He was highly quoted and written about for his statements so it should be easy.

And when you can't do that; I did say it was not working. I then told you why it wasn't working. I then offered other people opinions of why the OS does not work. You accepted none of it.

Thanks for participating Mycroft.

Show evidence he is full of crap. Preferably by a peer. He was highly quoted and written about for his statements so it should be easy.

And when you can't do that; I did say it was not working. I then told you why it wasn't working. I then offered other people opinions of why the OS does not work. You accepted none of it.

Thanks for participating Mycroft.

1. I did show evidence your expert is full of crap...a screenshot that directly contradicts his statement. Who cares if he is highly quoted if what he says is wrong?

2. You didn't say why your CAD software wasn't working. You only said it works with XP, but not with Win8. Cool...that means your software doesn't work with Win8. It DOESN'T mean that Win8 is not working.

3. You can offer all the opinions of incorrect idiots that you want. That only means you are an idiot for accepting their word for things they are wrong about. I don't accept erroneous crap from people. shrug...

Okay...I guess I didn't realize you were being sarcastic in your remark. However, while I've said many times that I don't have problems with Win8, I've also demonstrated that some "expert" is totally wrong by showing that Win8 can do what he says it won't do. That wasn't an anecdote.
You've also claimed hundreds of complaints by people who repair computers for a living don't know as much as you because your one anecdote.

That's what I'm talking about.

In regards to my system, I probably didn't HAVE to spend so much...but I chose to...and I had a specific reason to make that choice. I don't want to have to spend large amounts of money on upgrades for at least 5+ years. And I won't.
You could have spent half that amount and not upgraded for 5 years. I spent $850 on my last computer in 2008 (bought it from Staples, surprisingly) and it still rocks quite well.

I have a motherboard that can accommodate 3 graphics cards, though I only use 2 cards at the moment. I have the ability to add another one in the future.

I have a 1200W power supply that provides more than enough power for my needs right now, so it will be up to the task of providing power if and when I add components.

I have 16GB's of Ram...but I only use half the slots available to me. Should I need more ram in the future, I'll have no problems plugging in more sticks.

I have a 256GB SSD, a 1TB internal hard drive and a 1TB portable drive. I won't be adding drives for a little while, at least.

My CPU is a hyperthreaded 6-core i7 processor. The software I use right now doesn't come near to stressing that CPU, but future software might. I'll be able to handle it with ease. Heck, right now I don't even have to overclock the thing...though I can.

I use a closed-loop water cooled system for the CPU. If I ever OC or use software that stresses my processor, the cooler will be up to the task.
I'm still not seeing how that cost you $3500. Or maybe I should say WHY it cost you $3500. I think someone took you for a ride.

Let's say a top notch graphics card is roughly $300. Two of them is $600. 16 GB of RAM ought to run about $200. Figure a dollar per GB for the SSD and you're at a total of $1050. Another $175 for your two hard drives. $350 for the processor (which would be one of the best processors available). That puts us at $1575.

I'm not sure how your case, cooling and power supply cost you $2000.

I'm not really questioning your number so much as I am thinking you might have gotten taken for more than you should have paid, especially for what your likely needs are.

Back
Top Bottom