• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China and Zimbabwe.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Quietly, without fanfare, a Chinese mining operation has been allowed to return to diamond-rich Zimbabwe. As America continues to circle the wagons and reduce interactions with the outside world, China is moving into the vacuum.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

And your proposal to deal with this is...?

And your proposal to deal with this is...?

Hi!

I'm honored that you would think my ideas would be of value. I'm just a poor old country mouse, observing the scene. Unlike some, I'm leery of 'fixes'. What I try to do in my imperfect way is get a reader to take time out to think about the situation presented. Thinking, as opposed to vomiting up a memorized 'talking point' in rebuttal, is rare on forums such as this one.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Quietly, without fanfare, a Chinese mining operation has been allowed to return to diamond-rich Zimbabwe. As America continues to circle the wagons and reduce interactions with the outside world, China is moving into the vacuum.

China is undertaking the seemingly brilliant strategy of extending its influence ties across Asia, Eurasia, Africa, Latin America and the Pacific Islands through a massive series of loans, and infrastructure-creating projects known as the "Belt and Road Initiative."

Basically, China wants to gain control of dozens of corrupt countries across Asia, Asia Minor and Africa with massive bribes. But here is the problem with that: It is largely seen as a failure.

You see, when you try to enter into lending arrangements and trade with countries that have little to no rule of law, or massive endemic corruption, AND your country has no specific interest in encouraging that they be law-governed, you are simply diverting a river of your country's cash into a bottomless pit.

I'm not familiar with this issue. Has America moved out of the diamond-rich Zimbabwe?

China is undertaking the seemingly brilliant strategy of extending its influence ties across Asia, Eurasia, Africa, Latin America and the Pacific Islands through a massive series of loans, and infrastructure-creating projects known as the "Belt and Road Initiative."

Basically, China wants to gain control of dozens of corrupt countries across Asia, Asia Minor and Africa with massive bribes. But here is the problem with that: It is largely seen as a failure.

You see, when you try to enter into lending arrangements and trade with countries that have little to no rule of law, or massive endemic corruption, AND your country has no specific interest in encouraging that they be law-governed, you are simply diverting a river of your country's cash into a bottomless pit.

Hi!

Thank you for posting. Your prediction on the effectiveness of the Chinese effort is not without merit. How well they will do may depend upon how well they can 'work' the corruption which is often rampant in these countries. Chances are that they have already analyzed the why of being thrown out of Zimbabwe by the late dictator, Mr. Robert Mugabe.

N.b. I've followed the fortunes [of the politicians] and misfortunes [of the Zimbabwean people] of Zimbabwe for many years.

Last edited:
China has been cuddling up to African dictators to strip-mine the continent to hold a monopoly on rare-earths for a couple decades now.

Back
Top Bottom