• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
pinera-rescue-300x158.jpg

Say what you will about his politics, or how he controlled things around the timing of the rescue all day long.

Always keep in mind he didn't go on vacation and didn't have to interrupt a golf game to be there to welcome every single Miner as they emerged from their 1/2 mile deep rock tomb.

Number 29 I believe is on the way up and he is still there, greeting each of the lucky, lucky me.

I also want to remind everyone that the man who actually drilled the rescue hole was Jeff Hart an American who came all the way from Afghanistan where he was drilling water wells for the Locals and our troops.

So hats off to Jeff and to all Those in NASA who helped with the psychological well being of the Miners, and helping in the design of the rescue vessel, and nutrition, and over all health of the "MIRACLE MINERS of SAN JOSE MINE, CHILE"

I can't wait for the next Anti-American SOB to go on a blame America tour apologizing for all of the ills in the world.

These men and women need to be Honored by ALL Americans.

I don't see any of them trying to get on TV for what they did and that is what being a great America is all about.

I SALUTE THEM ONE AND ALL. :2usflag:

I don't want to overlook that most of those responsible for the rescue of the "MIRACLE MINERS of SAN JOSE MINE, CHILE" were Chilean . :applaud

Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars - Telegraph
The rescued miners may stand to make a tidy sum from book and newspaper deals, but no-one has profited more from their ordeal than Chile’s president, Sebastian Pinera.

Mr Pinera’s popularity – and chances of re-election – have soared as a result of the triumphant outcome to the mining accident, thanks in no small part to his peerless ability to utilise the media.

Until his election in March, Mr Pinera was the outright owner of Chilevision, a national TV channel, which he sold to Time Warner to avoid a conflict of interest.

It is good to see that they are out of the mine finally.

Manual Gonzalez the last rescue worker in now out and the end of this part of the story is over.

By the way I watched the first Rescue worker go down and the first and last Trapped Miner come out and Chile’s president, Sebastian Pinera, was there until the end.

I admire his stamina and along with all who have now been there over 24 hours straight.

This is a Country with a great deal to be proud of.

I only hope this event is used to inspire safer conditions in Mining, and the pride helps left the whole Nation to better times.

It doesn't need to become an American macho pissing contest. Some skilled human beings went to the rescue of other human beings in a pickle. Time, patience, and perseverance has paid off. Politics aside, this is a pretty amazing story. Let's not tarnish it with national interests.

It doesn't need to become an American macho pissing contest. Some skilled human beings went to the rescue of other human beings in a pickle. Time, patience, and perseverance has paid off. Politics aside, this is a pretty amazing story. Let's not tarnish it with national interests.

It already is with the OP post.... every freaking post has to be about Obama on these boards.. sigh.

The main thrust of my OP was about the people not the Governments at all and if I don't take a jab at Obama the wacko name calling liberals would want to know what I give him some sort of attention.

It is nice to know that a vague reference to a self centered "person" is so easy identify.

But as I made clear it was about the rescuers theirs and ours, and the attention paid by Chile's Leader, which was impressive.

On any or every other subject or topic he could be as useless as a few others, but on this occasion he was in the right place for a long time.

Truth is I thinking Obama is somehow going to make this about himself somehow. He tries with everything else.

Congratulations to the miners on their rescue and well done to all the rescuers (whatever their nationality) for a job well done. However, amid all the rejoicing we should not lose sight of the fact that these miners were betrayed. In the first place, by the mine's owners and second by their own government which failed to regulate the company properly.

The main point was parochial prating about how wonderful the nation of the guy who happened to have the plan "B" drill, which turned out to be the fastest in the soil conditions, is. THEN a hit against his President.

Congratulations to the miners on their rescue and well done to all the rescuers (whatever their nationality) for a job well done. However, amid all the rejoicing we should not lose sight of the fact that these miners were betrayed. In the first place, by the mine's owners and second by their own government which failed to regulate the company properly.

This isn't something regulation could have prevented, **** happens, especially underground.

This isn't something regulation could have prevented, **** happens, especially underground.

Actually it could have. One thing that could have gotten these minors out way earlier would be if it had a second exit tunnel. It didn't. Which something regulations could have made mandatory.

Actually it could have. One thing that could have gotten these minors out way earlier would be if it had a second exit tunnel. It didn't. Which something regulations could have made mandatory.

Well, looking into it further, more regulations wouldn't have made a difference, the company already ignored the ones on place, proper enforcement of regulations would have made the difference.

Last edited:
Well, looking into it further, more regulations wouldn't have made a difference, the company already ignored the ones on place, proper enforcement of regulations would have made the difference.
Hmm... that sure sounds familiar.

Oh it is the companies fault, but better inspecting of said regulations would have helped the situation.

But I thought governments can't do anything right.

Uh, it was a private company that devised and executed the plan that got them out.

If we waited for the government to do it, we'd still be filling out the "necessary paperwork" and creating an economic stimulus to pay for it.

I remember thinking, as I watched the Chilean president personally greet each miner as they emerged, that I couldn't think of a president in our nation's history that would have hung around for nearly a day and a half and personally greeted each miner as they were brought to the surface. And I remember thinking that was sad.

I stopped my 10 yr old son from doing his homework last night, and we watched as the last of the 33 miners was brought up. History in the making is best shared .

I remember thinking, as I watched the Chilean president personally greet each miner as they emerged, that I couldn't think of a president in our nation's history that would have hung around for nearly a day and a half and personally greeted each miner as they were brought to the surface. And I remember thinking that was sad.

Then again, there's not much else going on in Chile. They have earthquakes every few years. A few mudslides every now and then. Some bankruptcy issues. But not much else going on. It's the Iowa of Latin America.

Really??

And how did Capitalism put them in jeopardy? Do you think the people's mines are safer and better run?

Yes, the state owned mines in Chile have a near impeccable safety record when compared to the private run mines.

Back
Top Bottom