• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Children's Suffrage

Xerographica

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
People of any age should be allowed to vote. There should only be one restriction...

1. you can't be accompanied in the voting both

The biggest argument against children voting is that they lack the information necessary to make an informed decision. When I was a little kid my mom made me go to church. I also had to frequently read the bible and pray. If kids had been allowed to vote back then...then she probably would have dragged me to the voting booth and tried to make me vote like her as well...fiscally liberal and socially conservative. Make some noise if you're fiscally liberal and socially conservative. I'm not...I'm the opposite...and I've been an atheist since the age of 11.

So if you want to argue that kids wouldn't have enough information...then you're arguing that parents don't have enough information. Therefore, you're arguing that parents should not be allowed to vote.

If you want to argue that kids don't understand the issues...then you're arguing that parents don't understand the issues. Therefore, you're arguing that parents should not be allowed to vote.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to vote because they don't pay taxes? Therefore adults that don't pay taxes shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to vote because they don't have enough life experience? Therefore, those of you who have never lived in a developing country should not be allowed to vote. Same thing with those of you who haven't experienced war first hand.

Therefore, either everybody votes or nobody votes. If there's value in allowing some people to vote...then we maximize value by allowing everybody to vote.

Another argument is that people with kids would have more influence than people without kids. So what? Then you're arguing that the 1% shouldn't be allowed to vote because they have more money (influence) than the 99%.

Voting is a numbers game. Kids, being in the minority, even in the unlikely situation that they all agreed on the same issue...would never have the numbers to win against adults. Not only would kids not have the numbers...but they wouldn't even have the dollars. So they would get trounced in any kid vs adult issue.

Clearly though, just because people vote for the "wrong" thing isn't any evidence that they shouldn't be allowed to vote. Otherwise women shouldn't be allowed to vote...given that they voted for prohibition.

The fact that so many of you believe that kids shouldn't be allowed to vote...is proof positive that kids should be allowed to vote.

People of any age should be allowed to vote. There should only be one restriction...

The biggest argument against children voting is that they lack the information necessary to make an informed decision. When I was a little kid my mom made me go to church. I also had to frequently read the bible and pray. If kids had been allowed to vote back then...then she probably would have dragged me to the voting booth and tried to make me vote like her as well...fiscally liberal and socially conservative. Make some noise if you're fiscally liberal and socially conservative. I'm not...I'm the opposite...and I've been an atheist since the age of 11.

So if you want to argue that kids wouldn't have enough information...then you're arguing that parents don't have enough information. Therefore, you're arguing that parents should not be allowed to vote.

If you want to argue that kids don't understand the issues...then you're arguing that parents don't understand the issues. Therefore, you're arguing that parents should not be allowed to vote.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to vote because they don't pay taxes? Therefore adults that don't pay taxes shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to vote because they don't have enough life experience? Therefore, those of you who have never lived in a developing country should not be allowed to vote. Same thing with those of you who haven't experienced war first hand.

Therefore, either everybody votes or nobody votes. If there's value in allowing some people to vote...then we maximize value by allowing everybody to vote.

Another argument is that people with kids would have more influence than people without kids. So what? Then you're arguing that the 1% shouldn't be allowed to vote because they have more money (influence) than the 99%.

Voting is a numbers game. Kids, being in the minority, even in the unlikely situation that they all agreed on the same issue...would never have the numbers to win against adults. Not only would kids not have the numbers...but they wouldn't even have the dollars. So they would get trounced in any kid vs adult issue.

Clearly though, just because people vote for the "wrong" thing isn't any evidence that they shouldn't be allowed to vote. Otherwise women shouldn't be allowed to vote...given that they voted for prohibition.

The fact that so many of you believe that kids shouldn't be allowed to vote...is proof positive that kids should be allowed to vote.

:lamo

No children voting. That's absurd since they lack adult judgment. But if them kill someone we can send them to prison for life or execute them. That makes sense.

You have to wonder if children would make worse decisions than many adults in who they vote for. Could children actually make the process worse when the majority of the people are dumb as a box of hammers and vote like it? Is age actually a good qualifier for who is allowed to vote or should it be something else?

Last edited:

On that I agree with you, but I would go further. If you do not own real estate or pay any federal taxes or have served in the military, then you should not be allowed to vote.

On that I agree with you, but I would go further. If you do not own real estate or pay any federal taxes or have served in the military, then you should not be allowed to vote.
Let's go way back. Don't own property, not white, no penis? Well, no vote for you. All fixed now.

This is only the second thread that I've read the OP's posts. I have to say, that he has to be one of the most thought provoking posters I've read on this board.

Well done.

I think voting should be limited to employed men over the age of 25.

I don't think women, children, or novices should vote, nor should people who don't work/contribute to society's welfare.

You have to wonder if children would make worse decisions than many adults in who they vote for. Could children actually make the process worse when the majority of the people are dumb as a box of hammers and vote like it? Is age actually a good qualifier for who is allowed to vote or should it be something else?

Maybe it shouldn't be the only qualifier but I do think it should be one. I would consider based on my experience at least 95%+ of children unqualified to vote. A lesser percentage the closer you get to 18 but almost universal on the other end.

I don't think women, children, or novices should vote, nor should people who don't work/contribute to society's welfare.
The Land of the Free Ruled By Men With Jobs? That has a nice ring to it eh? It certainly fits the Founders well, those men of Democracy for the Few.

No. There are countless reasons to not allow children to vote. You managed to defy all kinds of logic and common sense.

The Land of the Free Ruled By Men With Jobs? That has a nice ring to it eh? It certainly fits the Founders well, those men of Democracy for the Few.

It's pretty much a sure thing that better decisions would be made for the country. That's what really counts. Women, children, novices, the unemployed, etc.... these people need to be TAKEN CARE OF.

If you need to be taken care of, you're in no position to be making decisions for society. Leave that to the people who do the caretaking.

I think that only children should be allowed to vote since they'll be the ones most affected for the longest amount of time.

I've seen how you "adults" have been voting and your right to vote should have expired when you turned 20.

Harumph.

*sigh*

Not another one of these threads. There is never any value in a thread the OP makes. And they aren't well written as trap threads either.

Let's go way back. Don't own property, not white, no penis? Well, no vote for you. All fixed now.

The original voting regime was reflective of the time and designed to make sure that those who have the most vested interest in the success of the country as a whole were the ones who determined its fate, not the deadbeats. While it may have been discriminatory for its time, it was reflective of the world at the time, and their rationale was, nonetheless, a hell of a lot more noble and rational than "Let's see how many uneducated crack addicts we can fit into an ACORN van. I bet we beat the Shriner Clown Car this year". It was a system to encourage people to take advantage of the abundant land that was available to them so that they could support themselves and not live on the dole.

I can't think of the movie quote about children being commies.

It's pretty much a sure thing that better decisions would be made for the country. That's what really counts. Women, children, novices, the unemployed, etc.... these people need to be TAKEN CARE OF.

If you need to be taken care of, you're in no position to be making decisions for society. Leave that to the people who do the caretaking.
I know. Those damn panties can't do anything but hang around the house barefoot and pregnant asking you to do things. It's the white man's burden all over again eh? I know, we should spank them like Tigger does when his wife is naughty. I'm sure, very sure in fact, that he'd agree with you.

Why women?

The original voting regime was reflective of the time and designed to make sure that those who have the most vested interest in the success of the country as a whole were the ones who determined its fate, not the deadbeats. While it may have been discriminatory for its time, it was reflective of the world at the time, and their rationale was, nonetheless, a hell of a lot more noble and rational than "Let's see how many uneducated crack addicts we can fit into an ACORN van. I bet we beat the Shriner Clown Car this year". It was a system to encourage people to take advantage of the abundant land that was available to them so that they could support themselves and not live on the dole.
Ah the good old days, when we said all men were created equal, and didn't mean anything of the kind.

Why women?

Well you know those panties types, they just like to shop, and change diapers, and make the bed. Really, they're too busy to vote anyway. It would just be a hassle for them.

Ah the good old days, when we said all men were created equal, and didn't mean anything of the kind.

Do you think they are now? Do you think blacks being crushed by poverty and segregated schools in New York, DC, Philly, Chicago, Detroit are free and equal? Hey, as long as they are killing each other, what me worry?

Yes, I've noticed, but when they kill a white guy you go all "get a rope".

Do I or do you just think I do? I am all "get a rope" when anybody murders anybody.

I know. Those damn panties can't do anything but hang around the house barefoot and pregnant asking you to do things. It's the white man's burden all over again eh? I know, we should spank them like Tigger does when his wife is naughty. I'm sure, very sure in fact, that he'd agree with you.

People act funny when they run in to something they haven't seen before. LoL.

Once upon a time, opinions like mine were much more common. Actually, for most of democracy's history it's been pretty much the way I described. It's only in our modern day bubble that the majority opinion has shifted, and cultural norms have come to see opinions like mine as odd.

Back
Top Bottom