• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Children's Suffrage

People act funny when they run in to something they haven't seen before. LoL.

Once upon a time, opinions like mine were much more common. Actually, for most of democracy's history it's been pretty much the way I described. It's only in our modern day bubble that the majority opinion has shifted, and cultural norms have come to see opinions like mine as odd.
Yeah, we used to have tons of men who thought the way you do, but then they died off and society moved on. Just something to keep in mind.

Honey, get me a beer. This guy on the Internet says that's your real job.

I think voting should be limited to employed men over the age of 25.

I don't think women, children, or novices should vote, nor should people who don't work/contribute to society's welfare.

Yeah, SCREW OLD PEOPLE. They don't deserve to vote!

You're kidding right?

I would theoretically like for kids to gain the ability to vote by passing a test demonstrating a reasonable level of political awareness. In practice, I would be worried about parental authority tampering with the voting process and the testing process being biased.

Why women?

Voting is not a right, it's a privilege. It's a privilege that may or may not be granted.

A mother's influence is needed in the home. She can do little good by taking to the streets and neglecting her children. Let her teach her daughters that modesty, patience, and gentleness are the charms of a women. Let her teach her sons that an honest conscience is every man's first political law; to not take bribes, to not let fear allow him to surrender even the simplest rights of a free and independent citizen.

The mothers of this country can shape the destinies of the nation by attending to those duties. The influence of the mother in the home and the dignified influence of the teacher in the school will far outweigh all the influence of all the mannish female politicians on earth.

The men are able to run the government and take care of the women. Do women have to vote in order to receive the protection of man? Why, men have gone to war, endured every privation and death itself in defense of woman. To man, woman is the dearest creature on earth, and there is no extreme to which he would not go for his mother or sister, wife or daughter.

By keeping woman in her exalted position man can be induced to do more for her than he could by having her mix up in affairs that does cause him to lose respect and regard for her. Woman does not have to vote to secure her rights. Man will go to any extreme to protect and elevate her. As long as woman is woman and keeps her place she will get more protection and more consideration than man gets. When she abdicates her throne she throws down the scepter of her power and loses her influence.

Since women's sufferege was enacted, divorces have greatly increased, showing that it has been a home destroyer. Crime has also increased due to lack of the mothers in the home.

Woman is woman. She can not unsex herself or change her sphere. Let her be content with her lot and perform those high duties intended for her, and she will accomplish far more in governmental affairs that she can ever accomplish by mixing up in the dirty pool of politics. Keep the home pure and all will be well with the Republic. As it is now, the sanctity of the home is invaded by every little politician that may be running up and down the highway for office.

Yeah, SCREW OLD PEOPLE. They don't deserve to vote!

You're kidding right?
Oh no, he's quite serious. It's the Diaper Rule. If you wear them, change them, or soon will be wearing them again then you don't get a vote. It's just as God intended, that's all.

Great, that is what we need, more children and ignorant twats voting. I can see the pandering now, the dems would give kids nintendo welfare, and republicans would be giving them free guns and beer. Oh, and kids of any age should vote? How is a 1 year old supposed to even accomplish voting in any reliable way? They can barely even speak, how the hell are they supposed to understand a campaign issue or even properly indicate who they want if they could? Not to mention many teenagers have never even held a job. They do not pay bills or taxes. They live in a world of life theory and not experience. Mosty of the presentation they get would come from school and have the bias of the teachers, their home which would have the bias of their parents, or things like religion which is the worst of the three for bias and misinformation. Not all adults are well educated and IMO capable of making a good decision, but at least they have the opportunity to be.

Yeah, we used to have tons of men who thought the way you do, but then they died off and society moved on. Just something to keep in mind.

Honey, get me a beer. This guy on the Internet says that's your real job.

Not her job to get you a beer, it's her job to take care of the kids and to keep the home.

Voting is not a right, it's a privilege. It's a privilege that may or may not be granted.

A mother's influence is needed in the home. She can do little good by taking to the streets and neglecting her children. Let her teach her daughters that modesty, patience, and gentleness are the charms of a women. Let her teach her sons that an honest conscience is every man's first political law; to not take bribes, to not let fear allow him to surrender even the simplest rights of a free and independent citizen.

The mothers of this country can shape the destinies of the nation by attending to those duties. The influence of the mother in the home and the dignified influence of the teacher in the school will far outweigh all the influence of all the mannish female politicians on earth.

The men are able to run the government and take care of the women. Do women have to vote in order to receive the protection of man? Why, men have gone to war, endured every privation and death itself in defense of woman. To man, woman is the dearest creature on earth, and there is no extreme to which he would not go for his mother or sister, wife or daughter.

By keeping woman in her exalted position man can be induced to do more for her than he could by having her mix up in affairs that does cause him to lose respect and regard for her. Woman does not have to vote to secure her rights. Man will go to any extreme to protect and elevate her. As long as woman is woman and keeps her place she will get more protection and more consideration than man gets. When she abdicates her throne she throws down the scepter of her power and loses her influence.

Since women's sufferege was enacted, divorces have greatly increased, showing that it has been a home destroyer. Crime has also increased due to lack of the mothers in the home.

Woman is woman. She can not unsex herself or change her sphere. Let her be content with her lot and perform those high duties intended for her, and she will accomplish far more in governmental affairs that she can ever accomplish by mixing up in the dirty pool of politics. Keep the home pure and all will be well with the Republic. As it is now, the sanctity of the home is invaded by every little politician that may be running up and down the highway for office.
Barefoot and Pregnant. Making Beds, Making Babies, and Baking Breads. Get back to that and God will smile down upon the good old USA eh? Take that Satan, you liar who said women just might be equal to men.

But they are drains on society via entitlements and because of many tax laws, many of them pay no taxes. Therefore, under your criteria, shouldn't they be barred from voting?

Nope, they've earned their right to vote. Final verdict.

Seriously, old men have more wisdom than young men, by virtue of life experience.

Nope, they've earned their right to vote. Final verdict.

So when someone like Meg Whitman retires, she shouldn't be allowed to vote purely because she's a woman?

Seriously, old men have more wisdom than young men, by virtue of life experience.

More than a few people here suggest this is wrong.

Not her job to get you a beer, it's her job to take care of the kids and to keep the home.

What else has she got to do that slacker bitch? Besides, I'm busy unless I need a break so she can suck my **** again.

A woman is good for only two things, three if she'll take it up the ass, and seeing as I'm a real man like you, I don't bother asking.

People act funny when they run in to something they haven't seen before. LoL.

Once upon a time, opinions like mine were much more common. Actually, for most of democracy's history it's been pretty much the way I described. It's only in our modern day bubble that the majority opinion has shifted, and cultural norms have come to see opinions like mine as odd.

The difference is that people like you no longer have power, rather it is you who is oppressed and persecuted. You ever opened you mouth about your misogynistic bull**** in your workplace, and you'd find yourself joining the ranks of the unemployed yourself. The anonymity of the internet is probably one of the only places where you can show your true face without getting it shoved into the dirt.

The difference is that people like you no longer have power, rather it is you who is oppressed and persecuted. You ever opened you mouth about your misogynistic bull**** in your workplace, and you'd find yourself joining the ranks of the unemployed yourself. The anonymity of the internet is probably one of the only places where you can show your true face without getting it shoved into the dirt.

My girlfriend agrees with me, and I have yet to meet another man who doesn't think of me as a personal hero of theirs when I start on about this stuff. We all know it to be true, just most guys are too weak to say what they really think.

You are right that you can't really say stuff like this at the workplace, although I do work in a male-dominated industry...

It's not misogynestic, it's just a different perspective. I'm not sure why you're so angry, except you are from California, so maybe you're one of those male feminists... in which case we're probably not going to see eye to eye on a lot of stuff.

People of any age should be allowed to vote. There should only be one restriction...

1. you can't be accompanied in the voting both

The biggest argument against children voting is that they lack the information necessary to make an informed decision. When I was a little kid my mom made me go to church. I also had to frequently read the bible and pray. If kids had been allowed to vote back then...then she probably would have dragged me to the voting booth and tried to make me vote like her as well...fiscally liberal and socially conservative. Make some noise if you're fiscally liberal and socially conservative. I'm not...I'm the opposite...and I've been an atheist since the age of 11.

No, the biggest argument against children voting is that they lack the capacity to make an informed decision. I consider children to be those juveniles under the age of 16.

So if you want to argue that kids wouldn't have enough information...then you're arguing that parents don't have enough information. Therefore, you're arguing that parents should not be allowed to vote.

If you want to argue that kids don't understand the issues...then you're arguing that parents don't understand the issues. Therefore, you're arguing that parents should not be allowed to vote.

Fallacy number one #1: If a parent has "enough information and understanding then they can instruct their children," to vote for whomever the parent wants. Great, add several committed votes to a parent depending on the size of a family. I can see it now, people rushing to have kids so they can form a "voter block." LOL

Shades of the Duggar family!!! Home - The Duggar Family

Kids shouldn't be allowed to vote because they don't pay taxes? Therefore adults that don't pay taxes shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Fallacy # 2. "Some adults don't pay income tax and neither do children, so neither pays for the right to vote." Everyone pays taxes, they just don't all pay income taxes. So adults excused from income taxes still supercede kids because kids don't have the capacity to make informed decisions. If they don't vote the way their parent 's choose, they'd probably vote whichever way their latest teen idol told them too. Justin Bieber for Governor??? LOL

Kids shouldn't be allowed to vote because they don't have enough life experience? Therefore, those of you who have never lived in a developing country should not be allowed to vote. Same thing with those of you who haven't experienced war first hand.

Fallacy # 3: False analogy. Kids who live in developing countries have local life experience but still nowhere close to their own parents, and seldom in a country even their own parents get to vote in. In any case, life experience isn't the measure here in the USA either, it's the point at which a youth has the capability of going out to raise a family and earning a living on their own. When a six yo can start a family, earn a living, and pay his own way without guidance or management we can let him vote. ;)

Therefore, either everybody votes or nobody votes. If there's value in allowing some people to vote...then we maximize value by allowing everybody to vote.

Nope, kids are simply too immature.

Another argument is that people with kids would have more influence than people without kids. So what? Then you're arguing that the 1% shouldn't be allowed to vote because they have more money (influence) than the 99%.

Voting is a numbers game. Kids, being in the minority, even in the unlikely situation that they all agreed on the same issue...would never have the numbers to win against adults. Not only would kids not have the numbers...but they wouldn't even have the dollars. So they would get trounced in any kid vs adult issue.

Previously covered in the immaturity, capacity, and control responses above.

I'm not even going to address your last comment...it's just too circularly silly to bother with.

Last edited:
My girlfriend agrees with me, and I have yet to meet another man who doesn't think of me as a personal hero of theirs when I start on about this stuff. We all know it to be true, just most guys are too weak to say what they really think.

You are right that you can't really say stuff like this at the workplace, although I do work in a male-dominated industry...

It's not misogynestic, it's just a different perspective. I'm not sure why you're so angry, except you are from California, so maybe you're one of those male feminists... in which case we're probably not going to see eye to eye on a lot of stuff.
Is that a live-in girlfriend and you pay the bills? This is starting to make sense.

Is that a live-in girlfriend and you pays the bills? This is starting to make sense.

Nope. She's got her own place, and her own job. If we ever got married and had kids, though, that job would have to go bye-bye.

My kids are going to have a mother at home, and a strong father who's part of their lives. None of this modern trendy garbage that doesn't work.

Nope. She's got her own place, and her own job. If we ever got married and had kids, though, that job would have to go bye-bye.

My kids are going to have a mother at home, and a strong father who's part of their lives. None of this modern trendy garbage that doesn't work.
A job and an apartment? What kind of Satanic Promoter of Eternal Damnation are you? You'd better not be sleeping with her because you wouldn't want to marry a whore but she works for money so that's pretty much a done deal now. Ah well, remember what I said she was good for. That and getting you a beer. I'm off to wake that slacker bitch up, she forgot to take out the trash again.

A job and an apartment? What kind of Satanic Promoter of Eternal Damnation are you? You'd better not be sleeping with her because you wouldn't want to marry a whore but she works for money so that's pretty much a done deal now. Ah well, remember what I said she was good for. That and getting you a beer. I'm off to wake that slacker bitch up, she forgot to take out the trash again.

Thanks for engaging in a mature debate. Toodles.

Thanks for engaging in a mature debate. Toodles.
Debate? I thought you were trying out your lines from The Big Chill, of 1792? I hope you get the Most Likely to Travel Back In Time, and Stay There award?

Back
Top Bottom