• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Children Chained to Beds; the Dark Side, Perhaps, of Home Schooling?

JBG

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
We have all, by now, heard about the horrific conditions in the California home, where 13 children were held captive. Ironically, the home was also registered as a private school.

Informal schooling arrangements have been defended, by some, as an expression of freedom from the government, a way that children could be educated far from the eyes of a prying, "big-brother"-like nanny state. The situation detailed in 13 siblings ages 2 to 29 'held captive' by parents, some shackled, officials say - ABC News shows the dark side of such arrangements. For one thing, exposure of the children to schools would disclose alarming situations rather quickly, to Child Protective Services, where warranted.

Not that I am a fan of CPS. I have had some bad experiences indeed. Once, a special ed meeting for our special needs younger broke up in disorder after the chair wanted to declassify the autistic son. My wife was visibly upset. CPS was called on her for coming back to the school to ask for another meeting. That complaint was dismissed as "unfounded."

The second one was for lecturing my son on bullying. He didn't complain, quite the contrary, but it was pried out of him. The third one, the most ridiculous of all, sprang from a "hickey" my older son gave my younger son while playing. Neither are gay or violent.

But I digress. Children who are never seen nor exposed to the eyes of the schools or even neighbors may have grievous harm inflicted on them. I believe total privacy is a bad thing. There must be a balance.

What does this have to do with religion and politics?

This is hardly a common (or even uncommon) feature of "home schooling", and let's not try to pretend it is.

This was abuse, period.

What does this have to do with religion and politics?

The family was extremely religious, the sham of a school that the parents created didn't have to prove that the kids actually got any education.

Thirteen siblings 'held captive' by parents in Perris, California: 'Deeply religious' couple arrested on torture charges

The American couple who allegedly tortured and imprisoned their 13 children were Elvis fanatics who believed “God called on them” to give birth so many times.

David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were said to have forced their children to memorise passages of the Bible during “very strict” home schooling sessions.

It's not remotely uncommon that highly religious parents act to harm their children, either through lack of medical attention, through beatings, or through other forms of extreme punishment. It is not uncommon for these terribly religious parents to try to justify their actions via "religious freedom laws". There was a story I saw not too long ago about a Christian immigrant who beat her 7-year old child with a hanger, leaving welts, and tried to justify it with Bible verses. It happens all the time!

Indiana woman uses state ‘religious freedom’ law to justify lashing son with coat hanger

Back
Top Bottom