• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Child Still Expelled for Toy Gun - a Year Later

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Child Still Expelled for Toy Gun - a Year Later | NBC Miami

Parents want their child back in school. School board says no way

The 8-year-old boy hasn't been in school for a year and will likely miss another year if the Broward County School Board has its way.

Burgos was suspended from school in November after a teacher found a toy gun in his backpack. But when the boy went to register to go back to Pembroke Pines Charter School, he was told he will be expelled for this school year, too, as part of the county's zero tolerance weapons policy.

"He made a mistake, but why the severe punishment? I don't understand that," said Magdiel Burgos, Sam's dad.

Way overboard and borderline crazy, if not crazy.

He was 7 when this happened... he's a little boy, and I remember I liked toy guns at that age too. He was probably excited to show his buddies, anyone with half a brain could understand that.

I would have thought a month would be overboard... in fact I think a week is overboard.

A year... now two!!!?

Kick the idiots on the school board out. They have shown they lack common sense.

Last edited:
I'll tell one thing for sure times have certainly changed since I was a kid. I used to go to a local hardware store that was privately owned and buy 22 shells when I was about 10 because the old guy that owned the store knew everyone in town.

We I was a sophomore in high school I took a real automatic pistol to school to use in a play and the Principle was fine with because the firing pin was removed. Today I'd be arrested in a heart beat.

You're right this is way over the top and it only is going to make this little boy grow up to hate people and maybe school.

What a bunch of idiots.

Zero Tolerance = Zero Thinking, Zero Responsibility, Zero Judgment.

He was 7 when this happened... he's a little boy, and I remember I liked toy guns at that age too. He was probably excited to show his buddies, anyone with half a brain could understand that.

I would have thought a month would be overboard... in fact I think a week is overboard.

A year... now two!!!?

Kick the idiots on the school board out. They have shown they lack common sense.

Why don't they just MOVE to a new school district (if they research ahead they can find one that will take him)

Because now that he's been expelled for this - he will never regain a 'respectful student' level from teachers and administrators. THEY ****ed up but THEY aren't going to get over it, either . . . and if they were able to put him *back* into school he'd likely be eyed for everything *wrong* that's happened and be treated poorly due to this. Adults HOLD GRUDGES - I still deal with adults having opinions of my 2nd son and he hasn't been in trouble for YEARS but he use to be quite bad. . . THEY aren't getting over it, he did, though.

Best thing: move- relocate him to a new school - leave THIS problem behind.

I would do that. If my kids were expelled for whatever reason, and another neighboring school district would accept him, I'd do my BEST to relocate - absolutely!

Last edited:
this is absurd... are they trying to permanently destroy this kids life?!?!?

As for relocating, can the parents do that? I don't know about where they live or their economic circumstances...

I graduated high school in 2003, policies like this were involved when I was a freshman. The policy is no big deal but the punishment is uber-retarded.

When I was a kid I brought a toy cap gun to school and would fire it off in the school yard, but we had a huge field so maybe that's why we didn't get in trouble. I thought that most toy guns have that orange identifier thing on the end of the barrel that lets everyone know it's not real?

The zero tolerance policy at school is a joke anyway. Kids who continually disrupt classrooms with unruly and outrageous behaviour just get sent down the hall and then right back to class later; but good kids who are just doing kid things get kicked out. In Canada zero tolerance basically means an unlimited number of suspensions.

A year... now two!!!?

I agree. It's time for the school board and the Superintendent of Schools to be ousted publicly and LOUDLY!

this is absurd... are they trying to permanently destroy this kids life?!?!?

As for relocating, can the parents do that? I don't know about where they live or their economic circumstances...

I know, relocation is hard - but I think it would be the ideal solution.

I'm not excusing the school, but he'll never get past this. He'll be behind in school when/if they let him back in - he'll be back at least one entire grade level, probably - it's *very* hard to keep pace with public-school standards when you homeschool (I've done it before). . . and once you get a bad reputation it's *very* hard to let it go.

I'm not excusing the school, but he'll never get past this. He'll be behind in school when/if they let him back in - he'll be back at least one entire grade level, probably - it's *very* hard to keep pace with public-school standards when you homeschool (I've done it before). . . and once you get a bad reputation it's *very* hard to let it go.

Not disagreeing with any of this. This is the problem with Lib-nazis in control of the education system in America. Absolutely absurd...

So the answer is to let the real bully's win?

j-mac

Not disagreeing with any of this. This is the problem with Lib-nazis in control of the education system in America. Absolutely absurd...

Lib-Nazis? Which ones? The ones running school boards that want to push for creationism to be taught as science? Or the ones who print school books showing Thomas Aquinas as a more important political influence than Thomas Jefferson? What about the ones who try to force kids to pray in school regardless of their religion? Are they Lib-Nazis? What about the school boards who cancel proms because one of the kids attending is gay and wants to go with their partner? Tell us about these 'Lib-Nazis'. Who are they? What system are they running?

Last edited:

j-mac

Perhaps the real bullies are those who would prolong the damage to a child's education on a point of false principle.

j-mac

This issue should be fought - but to prolong this bull**** for the kid is doing more harm than anything.
Their education, safety, wellbeing, peer relationships and their status *in* school is more important - it's not a game. They don't HAVE time to dick around on the issue. The child needs school because I find it highly unlikely that he's getting a full and proper education at home.

The parents should duke it out with the school or rally others behind them and encourage them to deal with it - but their priority should be their child.

Lib-Nazis? Which ones? The ones running school boards that want to push for creationism to be taught as science? Or the ones who print school books showing Thomas Aquinas as a more important political influence than Thomas Jefferson? What about the ones who try to force kids to pray in school regardless of their religion? Are they Lib-Nazis? What about the school boards who cancel proms because one of the kids attending is gay and wants to go with their partner? Tell us about these 'Lib-Nazis'. Who are they? What system are they running?

Love how you pull out a handful of isolated instances to try to hide the fact that the national educational establishment is controlled by liberalism who seek to push their agenda on everyone -- the teachers and the kids... I am a professional educator and have experienced it first hand in the public schools teaching in Georgia... one reason I am not longer a public educator in the U.S.

Love how you pull out a handful of isolated instances to try to hide the fact that the national educational establishment is controlled by liberalism who seek to push their agenda on everyone -- the teachers and the kids... I am a professional educator and have experienced it first hand in the public schools
teaching in Georgia... one reason I am not longer a public educator in the U.S.

Isolated incidents? I don't know what you're talking about. These 'isolated incidents' happen everyday. Here's a small list from the state you were an educator in:

School board votes to allow creationism in class - CNN
Georgia Public School Board Members Beliefs Concerning the Inclusion of Creationism in the Science Curriculum
Georgia schools to remove creationist stickers from textbooks | Education | guardian.co.uk
Recent Efforts to Promote Creationism in Schools
A Battle on School Prayer Takes Shape in Georgia - NYTimes.com
Georgia: Principal Apologizes for School Prayer Poem
Bus Driver Fired for Gay Personal Ad : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

What 'isolated' incidents are you talking about? Is there a state where this doesn't happen? Please find me a state where this kind of thing doesn't happen just so at the very least your dishonest claim of 'isolated incident' can be substantiated somehow?

Love how you pull out a handful of isolated instances to try to hide the fact that the national educational establishment is controlled by liberalism who seek to push their agenda on everyone -- the teachers and the kids... I am a professional educator and have experienced it first hand in the public schools teaching in Georgia... one reason I am not longer a public educator in the U.S.

Love the irony.
You hated it so much you just stopped caring and quit.

And that permitted them to just ooze in some more.

Back
Top Bottom