• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Child brides vs Rape

SKILMATIC said:
Well then I feel sorry for your daughters as they live in a city where prostitution is flourishing. Not to mention strippers are all too plentiful there. I think you have bigger problems on your hands other than some 20yr old falling in love with your teenage daughters.

I raise my kids to be better than that. What do you think every kid who grows up here grows up to become a stripper or hooker. Give me a break.

mistermain said:
I am nobody to say they should be locked up. If any 22 year old ever came around my 14 year old daughter (which I have two), he would wish he was in prison. I feel bad for the girl. She will grow up someday and realize the man she loved is sick for falling in love with a child. I've seen it a million times.

No. You haven't.

SKILMATIC said:
Well for starters its lawfully wrong. Hows that? Not to mention shes not an adult yet. WHICH MEANS SHE BY LAW CANT GET MARRIED . And by law she cant make those kinds of consenting decisions.

Can she make those kinds of decisions? Of course she can. I think mentally girls at that age are able to decide whether or not they like the guy or not. Besides marrage rates arent getting better anyway so who are we to say that your not old enough? On the other hand if your like 9or some rediculous age like that then of course that is totally wrong.

Obviously she CAN legally get married; that's the premise of this thread.

mistermain said:
How the hell would you know?

Because if you'd ever known any adolescent who dated an older person (and were not taken advantage of), you'd know that they tend to have fond memories, just like anyone else would of their first love. I did some graduate work in psychology; it's almost unheard of for someone to grow up with fond memories and then suddenly "realize" that it's all wrong and retroactively be traumatized, as you seem to be implying. Obviously you have not "seen it a million times," or you'd have some clue what you were talking about.

Your view is extremely ethnocentric and closed-minded. The idea that it's disgusting and morally wrong for anyone 17 or under to have sex with anyone 18 or older, regardless of the circumstances, is very much a 21st century American view. Nowhere else in the world (except maybe Canada) would you encounter this kind of taboo even today.

Last edited:
SKILMATIC said:
Well for starters its lawfully wrong. Hows that? Not to mention shes not an adult yet. WHICH MEANS SHE BY LAW CANT GET MARRIED . And by law she cant make those kinds of consenting decisions.

Can she make those kinds of decisions? Of course she can. I think mentally girls at that age are able to decide whether or not they like the guy or not. Besides marrage rates arent getting better anyway so who are we to say that your not old enough? On the other hand if your like 9or some rediculous age like that then of course that is totally wrong.

Well if 14 is okay, why isn't nine? At what point do we draw the line?

Kelzie said:

The line is blurry; but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Are you advocating an age of consent of 18? If so, your own argument seems to be self-defeating. If 18 is ok, why isn't 14?

Kandahar said:
The line is blurry; but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Are you advocating an age of consent of 18? If so, your own argument seems to be self-defeating. If 18 is ok, why isn't 14?

Consent for sex? No. Consent for marriage? Yes. I don't care if your parents sign you over or not. If you are not a legal adult, I don't think you should be able to get married.

Kandahar said:
Because if you'd ever known any adolescent who dated an older person (and were not taken advantage of), you'd know that they tend to have fond memories, just like anyone else would of their first love. I did some graduate work in psychology; it's almost unheard of for someone to grow up with fond memories and then suddenly "realize" that it's all wrong and retroactively be traumatized, as you seem to be implying. Obviously you have not "seen it a million times," or you'd have some clue what you were talking about.

Your view is extremely ethnocentric and closed-minded. The idea that it's disgusting and morally wrong for anyone 17 or under to have sex with anyone 18 or older, regardless of the circumstances, is very much a 21st century American view. Nowhere else in the world (except maybe Canada) would you encounter this kind of taboo even today.

Well I do know in areas in south east asia it is common to have 5EX with very young girls to get them ready for being a concubine. Also in africa theyteach that to get rid of deseases you must have 5EX with young vrgin girls becasue thye beleive their pureness washes away the desease. But in actuality thats why STD are so rampent.

Kelzie said:
Consent for sex? No. Consent for marriage? Yes. I don't care if you're parents sign you over or not. If you are not a legal adult, I don't think you should be able to get married.

Personally I agree with you about that. But as long as marriage IS legal at younger ages I don't see why the government should punish the spouse.

SKILMATIC said:
Well I do know in areas in south east asia it is common to have 5EX with very young girls to get them ready for being a concubine. Also in africa theyteach that to get rid of deseases you must have 5EX with young vrgin girls becasue thye beleive their pureness washes away the desease. But in actuality thats why STD are so rampent.

Are you done beating the straw man now? That is in no way relevant to whether or not it's morally acceptable for a 14-year-old to have sexual relations with older people.

Kandahar said:
Personally I agree with you about that. But as long as marriage IS legal at younger ages I don't see why the government should punish the spouse.

Agreed. That doesn't mean it should be legal for a 14 year-old to enter into a legally binding contract though. Just means that the law sucks.

Kelzie said:

Well thats the thing. We dont know. And in actuality each person is different. While one girl mabe ready at 13 the other may take until 21. I think it should be determined by nature. Basically when the girl gets her period. Thats my opinion.

You people do realize that this man is avoiding jail time so far simply because he married her to avoid the law, right? Not only that, crossed interstate lines to do so. That's called a felony. He is going to be rightfully prosecuted for breaking the law.

Right now, Kansas is working on changing their laws to 18, to be more in line with other states. Our society arbitrarily decides legal ages for everything else, so why the opposition to making the age for sex/marriage 18?

Hopefully, the law will soon be changed, and this won't be an issue.

SKILMATIC said:
Well thats the thing. We dont know. And in actuality each person is different. While one girl mabe ready at 13 the other may take until 21. I think it should be determined by nature. Basically when the girl gets her period. Thats my opinion.

So you know that a large amount of girls these days get it at 10 right? Physical maturity does not mean mental.

SKILMATIC said:

Well, I felt like I was ready to drive at 12, and drink at 15, so why can't I? I'm mature enough!

Our government has, and always will place arbitrary age limits on things, as it should. 18 should be the legal age for marriage.

RightatNYU said:
You people do realize that this man is avoiding jail time so far simply because he married her to avoid the law, right? Not only that, crossed interstate lines to do so. That's called a felony. He is going to be rightfully prosecuted for breaking the law.

Right now, Kansas is working on changing their laws to 18, to be more in line with other states. Our society arbitrarily decides legal ages for everything else, so why the opposition to making the age for sex/marriage 18?

Hopefully, the law will soon be changed, and this won't be an issue.

Whoa hey, back the truck up. Sex only at 18? No thanks.

RightatNYU said:
Well, I felt like I was ready to drive at 12, and drink at 15, so why can't I? I'm mature enough!

Our government has, and always will place arbitrary age limits on things, as it should. 18 should be the legal age for marriage.

Hey me too. Well I felt like after my first drive iin a go kart at disney land I was ready to drive lol which was 10. I really dont care too much for alcohol unless its a party or something. I am not saying its bad for the gov to put age limits. I was just giving my opinion.

RightatNYU said:

I don't think there's much opposition to making age 18 the legal cutoff for marriage; a minor can't enter into any other legal contract of that kind of importance.

There's plenty of reasons why the age of consent for sex shouldn't be 18. That's ridiculous from a biological perspective. Do you honestly expect the vast majority of people to wait 5-8 years after the onset of puberty to begin having sex? That doesn't happen anywhere in the world, no matter how much the Christian right wishes it was so. A 14-17 year old is just as capable of making those decisions as an 18 year old.

Kelzie said:
Whoa hey, back the truck up. Sex only at 18? No thanks.

I mean an over/under limitation like they have in most states, with a year lag on either side.

Ex.

15/15 = okay

16/16 = okay

17/17 = okay

17/18 = okay

17/19 = okay

17/20 = okay

16/19 = okay

16/20 = not okay

15/19 = not okay

Kandahar said:
I don't think there's much opposition to making age 18 the legal cutoff for marriage; a minor can't enter into any other legal contract of that kind of importance.

There's plenty of reasons why the age of consent for sex shouldn't be 18. That's ridiculous from a biological perspective. Do you honestly expect the vast majority of people to wait 5-6 years after the onset of puberty to begin having sex? That doesn't happen anywhere in the world, no matter how much the Christian right wishes it was so. A 14-17 year old is just as capable of making those decisions as an 18 year old.

That wasn't what i meant exactly, check out my above post.

Kandahar said:

There's plenty of reasons why the age of consent for sex shouldn't be 18. That's ridiculous from a biological perspective. Do you honestly expect the vast majority of people to wait 5-6 years after the onset of puberty to begin having sex? That doesn't happen anywhere in the world, no matter how much the Christian right wishes it was so. A 14-17 year old is just as capable of making those decisions as an 18 year old.

Hey I am a christian right and I actually beleive we should have sex whenever we feel like it. Is that bad?

RightatNYU said:
I mean an over/under limitation like they have in most states, with a year lag on either side.

Ex.

15/15 = okay

16/16 = okay

17/17 = okay

17/18 = okay

17/19 = okay

17/20 = okay

16/19 = okay

16/20 = not okay

15/19 = not okay

Much better. I knew that was a strange thing for you to say. ;)

Hey whats wrong if I wanted to have sex with a MILF? I was 17 and she was 25. Is that wrong?

Back
Top Bottom