• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Child bride in Yemen dies of internal bleeding on wedding night: activist

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
****ing stupid brainless bastards.
SANAA (Reuters) - An eight-year-old Yemeni girl died of internal bleeding on her wedding night after marrying a man five times her age, a social activist and two local residents said, in a case that has caused an outcry in the media and revived debate about child brides.
Arwa Othman, head of Yemen House of Folklore and a leading rights campaigner, said the girl, identified only as Rawan, was married to a 40-year-old man late last week in the town of Meedi in Hajjah province in northwestern Yemen.
"On the wedding night and after intercourse, she suffered from bleeding and uterine rupture which caused her death," Othman told Reuters. "They took her to a clinic but the medics couldn't save her life."
Child bride in Yemen dies of internal bleeding on wedding night: activist

This is the kind of thing European multiculturalists want to import.

Unfortunately several posters here, who don't seem to be here anymore, would condone this farce of a marriage.

How absolutely horrible and disgusting, a 40 year old man and an 8 year old girl. A child. Obviously not developed enough physically to accept and adult penis. What a nightmare for her.

'Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed' is probably one of the most foul of thoughts.

Such things were common place in societies thousands of years ago. I would have hoped cultures have moved beyond such things with better education as an effect of globalism... but all too often we see primitive cultural norms in the 21st century. I'd like to think such an act is such a rarity today that we only know of it due to it's exceptional and horrifying nature.

Unfortunately several posters here, who don't seem to be here anymore, would condone this farce of a marriage.

How absolutely horrible and disgusting, a 40 year old man and an 8 year old girl. A child. Obviously not developed enough physically to accept and adult penis. What a nightmare for her.

'Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed' is probably one of the most foul of thoughts.

It is beyond me how pedophilia ever became an accepted norm in a culture-religion.

We live in a sick world when a culture sees this "marriage" as okay. Horrible.

It's really not surprising in the ME, as in a lot of countries women and girls are nothing but chattel. I am sooooo grateful that I was lucky enough to be born in the USA!

We shouldn't criticize. It's just their way.

shhhh. don't tell anybody. I'm just working on my political correctness in anticipation of my trip to the U.K.

It is beyond me how pedophilia ever became an accepted norm in a culture-religion.

I could be wrong, but the way I remember it was childbirth needed to occur very early for many reasons. Some of which were loss of male populations due to war and the need to repopulate, the relatively short lifespan of earlier civilizations due to war, disease, injury and the lack of effective medicines - therefore the sooner you could create children and the more of them, the better. Not sure of the religious aspect though, as I've always thought it was cultural. I still remember reading old Chinese and Japanese stories from 800+ years ago where men commonly slept with young boys and it was perfectly normal and accepted socially, whereas NAMBLA which seeks the same thing, is a horrid and illegal group which (I would hope) most see as abhorrent and illegal.

I came home from work a few days ago and was whining because i'd had a busy day and was tired. Sat down to eat my dinner and then this came on the news. I follow ME issues pretty closely so it's not like i don't know this goes on but if you think about all the **** that goes on over there all the time you go crazy because you can't do anything to change it for them.

Pushed my dinner away, felt like an asshole for whining about my day and just sat there and cried like a baby. There are no words for how disgusting this behaviour is.

The man in this incident would undoubtedly had to have continued penetration long after it was obvious the girl was in physical distress. This wasn't one quick thrust, oops it hurt too much. The man is a sadist and ought to be punished.

I don't condone child marriage; however, the actions of this particular unfeeling brute aren't a condemnation of the institution, it simply means that men ought to have a teaspoon of common sense and not try to forcibly penetrate children.

I could be wrong, but the way I remember it was childbirth needed to occur very early for many reasons. Some of which were loss of male populations due to war and the need to repopulate, the relatively short lifespan of earlier civilizations due to war, disease, injury and the lack of effective medicines - therefore the sooner you could create children and the more of them, the better. Not sure of the religious aspect though, as I've always thought it was cultural. I still remember reading old Chinese and Japanese stories from 800+ years ago where men commonly slept with young boys and it was perfectly normal and accepted socially, whereas NAMBLA which seeks the same thing, is a horrid and illegal group which (I would hope) most see as abhorrent and illegal.

One big problem here is 8 year old girls have not reached puberty as a rule. I could see primitive cultures marrying girls around 13 or so but 8 is just sick and weird.

****ing stupid brainless bastards.
What kind of a man--a 40 year old man--see in a little girl like that and think...and do...what he did?

I'd like to see a show of hands of everyone that is NOT for the death penalty right now!

Unless all this small villages are educated, it will keep happening. Its sad but truth

Unless all this small villages are educated, it will keep happening. Its sad but truth

Arab News took a poll on should Yemen pass a law against child brides.. They percentage who voted YES was 92%.

Such things were common place in societies thousands of years ago. I would have hoped cultures have moved beyond such things with better education as an effect of globalism... but all too often we see primitive cultural norms in the 21st century. I'd like to think such an act is such a rarity today that we only know of it due to it's exceptional and horrifying nature.

Very good observation, which is a unique problem with middle eastern culture. The greatness of their Golden Age when arguably impressive strides were made in science, the arts, mathematics, etc., creates a sense of pride in what they once were and a drive to continually live in that era in almost every way today. It's as if the clock stopped for these people centuries ago and adopting a twenty-first century culture for many is tantamount to asking them to renounce their greatest era in history. Many simply are so blinded by pride in their heritage, they honestly cannot see anything wrong with the way things were in the Golden Age.

We shouldn't criticize. It's just their way.

**** that, it's disgusting.

shhhh. don't tell anybody. I'm just working on my political correctness in anticipation of my trip to the U.K.

Speaking as a Brit. Why would you ever visit us? You've made your utter contempt for my country clear in many threads. Or was was that just a jokey way of having an off topic dig at us?

SANAA (Reuters) - An eight-year-old Yemeni girl died of internal bleeding on her wedding night after marrying a man five times her age, a social activist and two local residents said, in a case that has caused an outcry in the media and revived debate about child brides.

This is a great example of a poorly written sentence. It could easily be read that this poor girl married four people.

Where is Josie when you need her?

Back
Top Bottom