• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chilcot Report Damns USA Invasion of Iraq

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The Chilcot report, the UK government’s official report on the catastrophic decision to invade Iraq, was released on Wednesday morning, seven years after it was initially convened. The report delivers a pretty devastating verdict on the war, concluding that Saddam Hussein posed no imminent threat to the West and war was avoidable.

But from an American point of view, the most striking part of the report is how foreseeable the disaster that unfolded after the invasion was.

When you read the British government’s intelligence assessments, they predict, plus or minus a few details, exactly what happened after the war. The UK had ample warning that Iraq would collapse after the invasion and make the problem of terrorism worse — but it went to war anyway.

While the UK government made a huge number of mistakes before the war, the takeaway from Chilcot is clear: It’s America’s fault. The disaster in Iraq was not just foreseeable but, in the case of the UK, actually foreseen. The United States just went ahead with the war anyway. Though Britain screwed up, this is truly America’s shame.
I read the UK’s huge Iraq War report. It’s even more damning than you think. - Vox

THe real take away: DONT FOLLOW THE USA IN THEIR IDIOCY!

A second take away is that Trump is on the right side of history.

But...but...its Obamas fault

It is the elite classes fault, and so was the Great Recession.

THe leaders have done a good job of losing their followers through incompetence and lies.

Really? I was not happy about the first, and completely opposed to the second.

I've been damning this for decades. I didn't need any report to know it was a mistake. :shrug:

I've been damning this for decades. I didn't need any report to know it was a mistake. :shrug:

You dont get it, the thing that has taken this long to get is the elite ADMITTING that they screwed the pooch. Kinda like how they denied for about a year that we were in the Great Recession.

First BREXIT, then next PRESIDENT TRUMP?

THe leaders losing their followers has consequences.

You dont get it, the thing that has taken this long to get is the elite ADMITTING that they screwed the pooch. Kinda like how they denied for about a year that we were in the Great Recession.

No. I got it.

It was not in their best interests to oppose the war. Evidence clearly shows that Bush Jr.'s invasion was unjustified, and Dick Cheney made oodles of money during it. If you are one of those special interests who support the administration, you don't rock the boat until waaay after such movers and shakers have been out of office. :coffeepap:

Words are all they are, will those that got us into that cluster f*** be held accoubtable, nope. He sits in a nice home in Houston collecting his gov pension. What an idiot, thats what happens when you elect a fratboy. Shame for the rest of the world Bush2 did not stay an obnoxious drunk and in the bar.

I read the UK’s huge Iraq War report. It’s even more damning than you think. - Vox

THe real take away: DONT FOLLOW THE USA IN THEIR IDIOCY!

A second take away is that Trump is on the right side of history.

From what I have seen, the report contains no surprises, nothing new of any importance and no reason why to assume that the invasion was illegitimate or illegal. It only points out that it would have probably been better to wait a little longer and that the UK should have been better prepared. But otherwise? Did you see anything?

Words are all they are, will those that got us into that cluster f*** be held accoubtable, nope. He sits in a nice home in Houston collecting his gov pension. What an idiot, thats what happens when you elect a fratboy. Shame for the rest of the world Bush2 did not stay an obnoxious drunk and in the bar.

Kindly dont dismiss the importance of communication, and the language that drives it.

Civilization lives and dies on the back of the quality of our communication.

And as well on how well we learn our lessons.

Seriously.

Kindly dont dismiss the importance of communication, and the language that drives it.

Civilization lives and dies on the back of the quality of our communication.

And as well on how well we learn our lessons.

Seriously.

Nice thought, thought we would have learnt our lesson after Vietnam, nope.

From what I have seen, the report contains no surprises, nothing new of any importance and no reason why to assume that the invasion was illegitimate or illegal. It only points out that it would have probably been better to wait a little longer and that the UK should have been better prepared. But otherwise? Did you see anything?

For the record all I have read is the VOX report, and yes I understand they trend to the LEFT, but what they said is what I expected to find, so I dont currently feel the need to investigate further.

THis may change.

It was certainly expensive enough and we have messed up the aftermath badly. But otherwise?

Nice thought, thought we would have learnt our lesson after Vietnam, nope.

Well, I think we did for a good decade at least, then we forgot again. THese major lessons should stick for at least a generation, probably two, so we are not doing too good are we.......

First BREXIT, then next PRESIDENT TRUMP?

THe leaders losing their followers has consequences.

That is quite true. The states have almost all lost large amounts of legitimacy and the elites are handling it badly. The worst about the handling is the lack of explanations and the use of populisms instead.

That is quite true. The states have almost all lost large amounts of legitimacy and the elites are handling it badly. The worst about the handling is the lack of explanations and the use of populisms instead.

Talking about the loss of legitimacy of rule as the leaders/elite use lies and deceptions in the relentless drive towards their visions of UTOPIA is a bridge too far @2016..... too many heads will explode.

And lets be clear, the invasion of Iraq was all about utopia building.

BABY STEPS.

Well, I think we did for a good decade at least, then we forgot again. THese major lessons should stick for at least a generation, probably two, so we are not doing too good are we.......

Not to worry, im sure in ten years time there will be another lets spread freedom chant, fat cats will make $$ and keep there off spring out of harms way while sending young folks off to fight another useless war. We are now reaping what we have sown, thanks Bush, if there is a hell your place is reseved

I thought we were going to be welcome as liberators. That it would be quick and easy. I could have sworn I saw something like "Mission Accomplished" somewhere.

The mission was accomplished. The Problem was that the Iraqis missed the best chance they have ever had at freedom and civil peace.

The mission was accomplished. The Problem was that the Iraqis missed the best chance they have ever had at freedom and civil peace.

Wrong !! Bush2, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice screwed up the post invasion. That is a fact, no spin can change that.

That part of the world does not want democracy, its been proven over and over again, let them deal with there own issues there own way, and stop shoving our way of life down there throats.

Last edited:
Talking about the loss of legitimacy of rule as the leaders/elite use lies and deceptions in the relentless drive towards their visions of UTOPIA is a bridge too far @2016..... too many heads will explode.

And lets be clear, the invasion of Iraq was all about utopia building.

BABY STEPS.

I am not quite sure, what you mean with Iraq being part of utopia building.

Wrong !! Bush2, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice screwed up the post invasion. That is a fact, no spin can change that.

That part of the world does not want democracy, its been proven over and over again, let them deal with there own issues there own way, and stop shoving our way of life down there throats.

I don't think that you understand. Democracy is nothing mythological. It is a technology that works better than other technologies, if the society can handle it. It is very much like building airplanes.

Back
Top Bottom