• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chief Palestinian neg.to Kerry: Israeli settlement expansion could derail pea [W:22]

Jango

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
With a second round of Israeli-Palestinian talks slated to take place next week, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat yesterday sent a furious letter to U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry demanding that he stop Israel from moving forward on plans for new settlement construction.

Erekat did not threaten to boycott the talks, but warned that unless settlement expansion is stopped, he finds it hard to see how negotiations can “bring about progress towards a peace agreement.” The letter details several plans that Israel announced this week, including construction of 63 housing units in East Jerusalem’s Jabal Mukkaber neighborhood; construction of 878 units in various West Bank settlements, almost all of them outside the major settlement blocs; and the cabinet’s decision to include additional settlements on Israel’s list of national priority areas, which will entitle them to various benefits.

Claiming that the settlements violate both the Geneva Convention and Israel’s obligations under the Oslo Accords, Erekat termed these announcements evidence of “Israel’s bad faith and lack of seriousness,” as well as a direct slap in the face to Washington’s mediation efforts. He therefore urged Kerry to “take the necessary action to ensure that Israel does not advance any of its settlement plans, and abides by its legal obligations and commitments.”

Chief Palestinian negotiator to Kerry: Israeli settlement expansion could derail peace talks - Haaretz Com - Israel News | Haaretz

If Israel wants peace (on its face), then it needs to stop the settlement construction that does nothing but aggravate the Palestinians. I'd support enormous pressure by the U.N., U.K. and U.S. to rein in Israel. Since they've released prisoners already, it shows they're half serious about this go at peace, so if the world is to take Netanyahu serious at his word, the settlement construction must stop.

Re: Chief Palestinian negotiator to Kerry: Israeli settlement expansion could derail

I agree that expansion of settlements should be ceased until there is an agreement on borders with the Palestinians.

Regarding prisoners, Israel didn't release prisoners... yet. I find it strange that you point out the release of murderers and their associates as a constructive step for peace. I'm also curious where do you think it puts the Palestinians who ask for the release of "freedom fighters" like this bitch in order to negotiate peace:

surely building a house is not half as bad as wanting these creatures free.

Last edited:
Re: Chief Palestinian negotiator to Kerry: Israeli settlement expansion could derail

Seems like Israel is still not determined to stop the settlement building.

Israel approves nearly 1,200 new settlement homes - World news

"Israel's housing minister on Sunday gave final approval for building nearly 1,200 new settlement apartments on lands the Palestinians want for their state, just three days before U.S.-sponsored talks on the borders of such a state are to begin in Jerusalem."

I wish this wasn't a pattern.

Too many times I've seen the Palestinians making a real effort, followed by bald provocation by Israel.

Apparently in the hopes of provoking a violent reaction so Israel can point to it as an excuse to refuse to negotiate.

I've seen the Palestinians do it too. But its usually fringe elements in a disorganized state, as opposed to a cynical move by a modern democracy.

Too many times I've seen the Palestinians making a real effort, followed by bald provocation by Israel.

Apparently in the hopes of provoking a violent reaction so Israel can point to it as an excuse to refuse to negotiate.

I've seen the Palestinians do it too. But its usually fringe elements in a disorganized state, as opposed to a cynical move by a modern democracy.

I have never seen the Palestinians ever go beyond talk, much less make a "real effort." A better approach would be border negotiations between Israel and Jordan, and let Jordan deal with malcontent Palestinians.

Chief Palestinian negotiator to Kerry: Israeli settlement expansion could derail peace talks - Haaretz Com - Israel News | Haaretz

If Israel wants peace (on its face), then it needs to stop the settlement construction that does nothing but aggravate the Palestinians. I'd support enormous pressure by the U.N., U.K. and U.S. to rein in Israel. Since they've released prisoners already, it shows they're half serious about this go at peace, so if the world is to take Netanyahu serious at his word, the settlement construction must stop.
1. Jewish settlements are not an obstcale for peace, unless you want a free jewish ****ry. Ethnic cleansing is a good start for establishing ****ry.
2. The buildings are in the large settlement.

I suspect that this is probably something decided on as part of Kerry's arrangement to initiate the peace talks, if it wasn't we'd already hear the Palestinians back out from the talks.

Both sides agreed to return to the negotiation table "without preconditions", while in fact Palestinians got a few prisoners to satisfy their public, Israel gets to make it seem like she continues to build in the west bank to satisfy her public.

Now that we're past that ritual maybe the actual constructive gestures for peace might show up.

It gets hard to support Isreal when they continually do things that undermine any Peace efforts. I don't know what their plans are. It seems if they do not come to terms that recognize a Palestine, then they will end up with all of these Palestinians as citizens. It will just be a matter of time (2020) before Palestinians outnumber Israelis. After that elected officials will be of Palestinian background more and more often. (unless there are apartheid type laws)

By not reaching a peace settlement, the Isrealis risk losing control of their country, over time.

Palestinians to outnumber Jewish population by 2020, says PA report - Middle East - Israel News | Haaretz

It gets hard to support Isreal when they continually do things that undermine any Peace efforts. I don't know what their plans are. It seems if they do not come to terms that recognize a Palestine, then they will end up with all of these Palestinians as citizens. It will just be a matter of time (2020) before Palestinians outnumber Israelis. After that elected officials will be of Palestinian background more and more often. (unless there are apartheid type laws)

By not reaching a peace settlement, the Isrealis risk losing control of their country, over time.

Palestinians to outnumber Jewish population by 2020, says PA report - Middle East - Israel News | Haaretz

The Palestinian Authority has a terrible track record when it comes to conducting accurate census reports. However the general theme is correct, demographics are going to be an increasingly weighty concern for Israel and the longer it delays the worse it's eventual situation will be.

I suspect that this is probably something decided on as part of Kerry's arrangement to initiate the peace talks, if it wasn't we'd already hear the Palestinians back out from the talks.

Both sides agreed to return to the negotiation table "without preconditions", while in fact Palestinians got a few prisoners to satisfy their public, Israel gets to make it seem like she continues to build in the west bank to satisfy her public.

Now that we're past that ritual maybe the actual constructive gestures for peace might show up.

I hope so.

Your argument is flawed. There are also much more Egyptians than Israelis and they are not entitled for citizenship in Israel but they don't live in Israel, the vast majority of Palestinians don't live in Israel either, they live in the Palestinian territories, those who do live in Israel (annexed east Jerusalem) are entitled for Israeli citizenship

Your argument is flawed. There are also much more Egyptians than Israelis and they are not entitled for citizenship in Israel but they don't live in Israel, the vast majority of Palestinians don't live in Israel either, they live in the Palestinian territories, those who do live in Israel (annexed east Jerusalem) are entitled for Israeli citizenship

There are many more Russians too. Excellent point. How many new settlements are the Isrealis building in Egypt? I forget.

Do the people moving into the West Bank settlements give up their Isreali citizenship? What they do is solidify those lands in the Gaza and West Bank as part of Isreal. If they continue this way, then perhaps Palestinians will begin to look for rights equal to that of their Isreali neighbours. In my opinion the current Isreali approach to the occupied lands is ill-advised and unsustainable over time.

There are many more Russians too. Excellent point. How many new settlements are the Isrealis building in Egypt? I forget.

Do the people moving into the West Bank settlements give up their Isreali citizenship? What they do is solidify those lands in the Gaza and West Bank as part of Isreal. If they continue this way, then perhaps Palestinians will begin to look for rights equal to that of their Isreali neighbours. In my opinion the current Isreali approach to the occupied lands is ill-advised and unsustainable over time.

First of all why would an Israeli give up his citizenship for moving to the west bank? Does an Israeli give up his citizenship when he moves to the US or Europe?

2nd, Israeli settlements are in C area, as I said, most Palestinians live under PA rule - B&A areas. I believe the C area has several 100K Palestinian residents so they are unlikely to become a majority any time soon, the leader of the Jewish Home (right wing party which represents mostly the settlers' agenda), Benet, even suggested to annex this area and give citizenship to all Palestinians in it.

First of all why would an Israeli give up his citizenship for moving to the west bank? Does an Israeli give up his citizenship when he moves to the US or Europe?

2nd, Israeli settlements are in C area, as I said, most Palestinians live under PA rule - B&A areas. I believe the C area has several 100K Palestinian residents so they are unlikely to become a majority any time soon, the leader of the Jewish Home (right wing party which represents mostly the settlers' agenda), Benet, even suggested to annex this area and give citizenship to all Palestinians in it.

Area C is around 62% of the West Bank. Israel annexing this would not leave room for a Palestinian State.

Area C is around 62% of the West Bank. Israel annexing this would not leave room for a Palestinian State.

It won't but it will create an Israeli state in which all residents enjoy full citizenship while still maintaining Jewish majority and a swiss cheese territory which is not Israel and free from any Israeli settlements under PA control, thus our friend's argument here that if a Palestinian state will not be founded the outcome will be either an Israel which will lose her democratic character or her Jewish character is flawed

It won't but it will create an Israeli state in which all residents enjoy full citizenship while still maintaining Jewish majority and a swiss cheese territory which is not Israel and free from any Israeli settlements under PA control, thus our friend's argument here that if a Palestinian state will not be founded the outcome will be either an Israel which will lose her democratic character or her Jewish character is flawed

You are expecting the Palestinians to accept Bantustans?

You are expecting the Palestinians to accept Bantustans?

I'm not expecting anything, I don't support Benets plan. But anyways the PA is hardly a puppet regime of Israel.

In my dream the Palestinians shoot a misile at Israel for evry Zionist settlement they make in Arab Palestine (West Bank).

I wonder if Isael would keep peace talks with that?

Moderator's Warning:
Mod action has been levied and i ask that all posters please remain on topic and not derail the thread by resorting to retaliatory attacks. Thank you.

I agree that expansion of settlements should be ceased until there is an agreement on borders with the Palestinians.
No point considering the fact that the Palestinians have not show any inclination to compromise over the border. They keep insisting on the 67 borders. **** And that's just the beginning, a large number of them still insist on shoving Israel into the sea.

Back
Top Bottom