• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chief justice rebuts Trump on criticism of judges

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/21/chief-justice-john-g-roberts-rebut-trump-criticism/

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. rebuffed President Trump on Wednesday, saying there is no such thing as “Obama judges or Trump judges.”

In a statement released to the Association Press, the chief justice praised the “independent judiciary.”

His comments came a day after Mr. Trump said he would make a complaint about the U.S. 9th Circuit, which covers the country’s West Coast, and where a number of decisions have gone against the president and his administration.
How often does a Chief Justice rebuke a President?
Good on him, and I am sure all Justices approved of this statement
Cue the Trump defenders.

Perhaps Roberts should have a little sit-down with those 9th Circuit pukes. Tell them to get off their liberal horse so he doesn't have to slap their decisions upside their heads.

Perhaps that might be relevant to what Roberts did in Happy Backwards Upside Down World, but it's not here.

Interesting that Roberts make a political decision to call the individual mandate of the ACA a "tax" so that it could be put into action. Guess he was an "Obama judge" that day.
I concur!

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/21/chief-justice-john-g-roberts-rebut-trump-criticism/

How often does a Chief Justice rebuke a President?
Good on him, and I am sure all Justices approved of this statement
Cue the Trump defenders.

I dare Trump to attack Chief Justice Roberts.

Better yet..I DOUBLE DOG DARE him.

Make that a TRIPLE DOG DARE!!!

image.jpg

Wonder when Rs in the House/Senate will find their spines, not all but a majority.
Trumps attacks on Judges, DOJ and anyone and anything he dislikes, well it is childish

Needless to say people will support Trump attacks on the Judiciary based upon partisan politics, and do not see how this undermines the Justice system
Perhaps when 2020 gets closer and they see how that Blue wae is staying in former Republican CDs/Districts/Countes

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/chi...pushes-back-on-trump-criticism-of-judges.html

Trump on Tuesday lashed out against Jon Tigar, a district court judge in California, who issued a forceful ruling Monday night blocking the president’s attempt to bar entry to the U.S. to migrants who arrive between ports of entry.

“This was an Obama judge,” Trump told reporters. “And I’ll tell you what, it’s not going to happen like this anymore.”

I concur!

"I concur! How dare this impudent fool dare say anything challenging the wisdom of Our Dear Leader, Most High, Liberator of the Oppressed Silent Majority"

I think that's what you meant, yes?

:mrgreen:

Perhaps Roberts should have a little sit-down with those 9th Circuit pukes. Tell them to get off their liberal horse so he doesn't have to slap their decisions upside their heads.

Which ones?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...he_Ninth_Circuit#Rate_of_overturned_decisions

Title Judge Duty station Born Term of service Appointed by
Active Chief Senior
74 Chief Judge Sidney Runyan Thomas Billings, MT 1953 1996–present 2014–present — Clinton
76 Circuit Judge Susan P. Graber Portland, OR 1949 1998–present — — Clinton
77 Circuit Judge M. Margaret McKeown San Diego, CA 1951 1998–present — — Clinton
78 Circuit Judge Kim McLane Wardlaw Pasadena, CA 1954 1998–present — — Clinton
79 Circuit Judge William A. Fletcher San Francisco, CA 1945 1998–present — — Clinton
81 Circuit Judge Ronald M. Gould Seattle, WA 1946 1999–present — — Clinton
82 Circuit Judge Richard A. Paez Pasadena, CA 1947 2000–present — — Clinton
83 Circuit Judge Marsha S. Berzon San Francisco, CA 1945 2000–present — — Clinton
85 Circuit Judge Johnnie B. Rawlinson Las Vegas, NV 1952 2000–present — — Clinton
87 Circuit Judge Jay Bybee Las Vegas, NV 1953 2003–present — — G.W. Bush
88 Circuit Judge Consuelo María Callahan Sacramento, CA 1950 2003–present — — G.W. Bush
89 Circuit Judge Carlos Bea San Francisco, CA 1934 2003–present — — G.W. Bush
90 Circuit Judge Milan Smith El Segundo, CA 1942 2006–present — — G.W. Bush
91 Circuit Judge Sandra Segal Ikuta Pasadena, CA 1954 2006–present — — G.W. Bush
93 Circuit Judge Mary H. Murguia Phoenix, AZ 1960 2011–present — — Obama
94 Circuit Judge Morgan Christen Anchorage, AK 1961 2012–present — — Obama
95 Circuit Judge Jacqueline Nguyen Pasadena, CA 1965 2012–present — — Obama
96 Circuit Judge Paul J. Watford Pasadena, CA 1967 2012–present — — Obama
97 Circuit Judge Andrew D. Hurwitz Phoenix, AZ 1947 2012–present — — Obama
98 Circuit Judge John B. Owens San Diego, CA 1971 2014–present — — Obama
99 Circuit Judge Michelle Friedland San Jose, CA 1972 2014–present — — Obama
100 Circuit Judge Mark J. Bennett Honolulu, HI 1953 2018–present — — Trump
101 Circuit Judge Ryan D. Nelson Idaho Falls, ID 1973 2018–present — — Trump

image.jpg

Please proceed, Donald. Childishly insult the swing-voting SCOTUS chief justice and see how far that gets you.

Trump may honestly express his opinion about judges...and get people mad at him for it...but one thing you CAN'T say about Trump: He hasn't refused to comply with a ruling and he hasn't been found in contempt of court.

Ever since Roberts "re-wrote" some of the Obamacare law, he has become a politician and I no longer consider him a justice.

Inserting himself in politics now confirms my belief.

Regardless of what you think, Trumps attacks on the Judiciary are BS

No, it was just one man on the SCOTUS, a man who believes law can be invented from the bench.

Thank God for him! Trump is dangerous to our democracy.

Interesting that Roberts make a political decision to call the individual mandate of the ACA a "tax" so that it could be put into action. Guess he was an "Obama judge" that day.

If it walks and quacks like a tax, it's a tax. That is all the decision said - that the label assigned to something by Congress doesn't actually dictate what that something is.

You can disagree with it, but you disagreeing doesn't make that decision "political" versus....you just not agreeing with it.

Three seats on the 9th are open right now, Feinstein and Harris are desperately trying to "bargain" with Trump on who gets the seats, apparently they don't like at least on of the people on his short list. IF I were McConnell I'd wait until the new Senate is seated and Friggin' Flake is just a distasteful memory, then put a solid conservative as his replacement on the Judiciary Committee, confirm the nominees Trump wants.

Trump may honestly express his opinion about judges...and get people mad at him for it...but one thing you CAN'T say about Trump: He hasn't refused to comply with a ruling and he hasn't been found in contempt of court.

Well that excuses everything. Why did I not think of that?

Mighty high bar you’re setting there! /sarcasm

image.jpg

He already has when justice roberts ruled on obamacare.

It appears roberts has made a shift towards being an activist judge. This happens my time with conservative judges - souter, stevens, etc.

Regardless of what you think, Trumps attacks on the Judiciary are BS

Regardless of what you think, Trump's "attacks" on the Judiciary are justified. The judiciary system in this country considers themselves law-makers.

"From 1999 to 2008, of the 0.151% of Ninth Circuit Court rulings that were reviewed by the Supreme Court, 20% were affirmed, 19% were vacated, and 61% were reversed; the median reversal rate for all federal appellate courts was 68.29% for the same period."

Roberts has already joined the group of "law-makers" when he suggest to the dems how to re-write the individual mandate under Obamacare.

Back
Top Bottom