• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chief justice of California Supreme Court quits GOP over Kavanaugh confirmation

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Chief justice of California Supreme Court quits GOP over Kavanaugh confirmation

6cda91b9-e8de-4780-9a7e-4f5832a7f91e-AP18340071709981.jpg

California Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye.

12/14/18
Chief Justice of California Tani Cantil-Sakauye has reportedly renounced her Republican Party registration and re-registered as a no-party-preference voter, citing Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Cantil-Sakauye made the comments in a phone interview on Thursday to CALmatters, a nonprofit news organization, saying that she had been thinking about Kavanaugh's September confirmation hearing. "I’ve been thinking about it for some time," Cantil-Sakauye said of her decision. She said that she spoke with her husband and friends about the hearing and their conclusion was that "you didn’t leave the party — the party left you." “I felt compelled to make a choice now. It better suits what I do and how I approach issues," Cantil-Sakauye told CALmatters, adding that she has become displeased with the GOP's direction nationally and in her home state. Cantil-Sakauye has excoriated President Donald Trump for being harmful to the "rule of law" because of his attacks on judges. “The people uttering those are doing damage, short-term and long-term, to courts, to the rule of law,” Cantil-Sakauye said this week. She was referring to questions regarding Trump's statement last month that a ruling against the administration's immigration policy was made by "an Obama judge." U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts also rebutted Trump's remarks at the time in a rare statement, saying: "We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges. What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them."

Kudos to Chief Justice Cantil-Sakauye for being faithful to her mores and true to herself.

A Republican has no chance in California now and this was her excuse to lose the partisan affiliation.

It was a good excuse.

A Republican has no chance in California now and this was her excuse to lose the partisan affiliation.

That didn’t make sense to me because I assumed they were appointed for life. But I just looked it up and learned it was much more complicated. So they are appointed but then subject to retention elections? I’m still not sure I get it.

lol (laugh out loud) more butthurt hillarybots after the Honorable judge K won the hot seat.

good riddance to ya, ma'am.

enjoy bein a nobody!

Lulz. She's still the CJ at the CA Supreme Court.

Your rabid jealousy of her success is almost palpable.

She should probably go see Ford's therapist.:lol:

Lulz. She's still the CJ at the CA Supreme Court.

Your rabid jealousy of her success is almost palpable.

california supreme court? you mean the hillary chambers? LOL (LAUGH OUT LOUD)

Fun to watch how frightened you are of strong, successful females.

successful? i thought this woman just quit her job?? LOL (LAUGH OUT LOUD)

oh man you alt left marxists walked right into that one. almost like hillary walks into....wait...i forgot...she cant walk without the help of her staff LOL (LAUGH OUT LOUD)

successful? i thought this woman just quit her job??

As always, you thought wrong. But then again, there were some multi-syllable words in the article. More than just four letters.

As always, you thought wrong. But then again, there were some multi-syllable words in the article. More than just four letters.

lol (laugh out loud) the person who said hillary would win by a landslide is callin other people wrong? lol (laugh out loud) thats priceless

successful? i thought this woman just quit her job?? LOL (LAUGH OUT LOUD)

oh man you alt left marxists walked right into that one. almost like hillary walks into....wait...i forgot...she cant walk without the help of her staff LOL (LAUGH OUT LOUD)

Oh, right. There's your sub-simian reading comprehension again. She quit the GOP, not her job.

Maoists like you never could read well.

Oh, right. There's your sub-simian reading comprehension again. She quit the GOP, not her job.

Maoists like you never could read well.

hillary apologists quit the gop a long time ago. they also quit WINNING lol (laugh out loud)

lol (laugh out loud) the person who said hillary would win by a landslide is callin other people wrong? lol (laugh out loud) thats priceless

Were you a member under a different name back then or do you just enjoy reading RV’s old threads in your spare time? :)

I heard there are job openings at Walmart. What a stupid bitch. Kavanaugh had nothing to do with her. Good riddance if you ask me.

Your misogyny is wasted.

She doesn't need a new job. She is still the chief justice of the California supreme court.

#ReadingIsFundamental

Were you a member under a different name back then or do you just enjoy reading RV’s old threads in your spare time? :)

I've stated many times that I voted for neither Trump nor Hillary. Obviously he is either a sock or delusional. or both

I heard there are job openings at Walmart. What a stupid bitch. Kavanaugh had nothing to do with her. Good riddance if you ask me.

She still has her job. Your fear and hatred of strong, independent women are likely what's hold you back in life.

That didn’t make sense to me because I assumed they were appointed for life. But I just looked it up and learned it was much more complicated. So they are appointed but then subject to retention elections? I’m still not sure I get it.

She's not quitting her appointment as a judge she's just leaving the GOP.

She's not quitting her appointment as a judge she's just leaving the GOP.

Right, but she will have to go through some sort of re-election process down the road. I was responding to a comment that she did this to improve her re-election chances.

It's comments similar to Yours by those in the right which reaffirms to me that GOP has been dumbing-down for quite some time.

Good for her standing by her principles.

I do wonder why now?

Back
Top Bottom