• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicks shipped by mail are arriving dead, costing Maine farmers thousands of dollars

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
What was once a reliable and safe method of transporting chicks has apparently been undermined by widespread overhauls of operations at the U.S. Postal Service, including cutbacks in sorting equipment, ending extra trips by carriers and an edict to end all overtime by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy. Some Democrats accuse DeJoy of intentionally raising concerns about the timely delivery of absentee ballots in the November election, sowing concern and confusion among voters as President Trump repeatedly asserts – without evidence – that mail-in voting is vulnerable to fraud.

Rep. Chellie Pingree, a Democrat who represents Maine’s 1st Congressional District, is raising the issue of the dead chicks and the losses Maine farms are facing in a letter to DeJoy and U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue. Pingree’s office has received dozens of complaints from farmers and other Mainers just trying to raise a small flock of chickens in the backyard.

“It’s one more of the consequences of this disorganization, this sort of chaos they’ve created at the post office and nobody thought through when they were thinking of slowing down the mail,” Pingree said.

“And can you imagine, you have young kids and they are getting all excited about having a backyard flock and you go to the post office and that’s what you find?”

Another consequence with screwing the postal service.

Chicks shipped by mail are arriving dead, costing Maine farmers thousands of dollars | Lewiston Sun Journal

:roll: What an absurd message. Overnight shipping is still overnight shipping and the post office isn't the only way to ship animals. If the USPS doesn't not meet promised shipping times, the USPS is liable.

There is NO shortage of chicks in the USA.

Besides, any farmers putting little boxes with chicks in it into street post office boxes should be charged with animal cruelty AND would NEVER be delivered as you can not mail packages true mail boxes - and haven't been able to do so for years. That happened after 9/11.

:roll: What an absurd message. Overnight shipping is still overnight shipping and the post office isn't the only way to ship animals. If the USPS doesn't not meet promised shipping times, the USPS is liable.

There is NO shortage of chicks in the USA.

Besides, any farmers putting little boxes with chicks in it into street post office boxes should be charged with animal cruelty AND would NEVER be delivered as you can not mail packages true mail boxes - and haven't been able to do so for years. That happened after 9/11.

So that justifies Mein Furher?

Maybe I should start a poll on this:
Should people be able to mail animals by depositing the animals into street post office boxes? Why call the animal shelter for stray kittens? Just put a shipping label on a string around each one's neck with postage on it and then drop them all thru a post office box on the street down the block? As long as the dog or cat isn't too large for the slot, just shove them in - chicks, cats, dogs, injured wild life... I'm sure they'd all do just fine together in those drop mail boxes. :lamo

How do you think people would vote on that? How would you?

Last edited:
So that justifies Mein Furher?

Do you mean Bush or Obama? Banning anything but tiny packages being mailed out of post office boxes was under their administration.

You must mean Obama since his administration removed 12,000 post office boxes.

Just mail the eggs. Problem solved.

The u.s postal service was always considered, since its inception, to be a necessary government service.

The mail must go through!

Scrambled eggs.

lol

But actually, the chicks are sexed before shipping because people want hens not roosters. You can't tell that when they're still in the shell.

I have an order of flash frozen seafood coming from Oregon. I am hoping like a mofo that it doesn't arrive unfrozen, especially in the record Arizona heat.

Also, I receive a monthly shipment of a specific combination of amino acids from Germany. I track each shipment. Recently when the shipment arrives in New York it is hung up in the system for about a week or more. The tracking is fairly detailed. I can determine how long it remains in customs and when it is released to a mail distribution center and how it is processed from there. Just last week I changed the timing of my reorders in an effort to second guess delayed handling in the US.

In addition, most medications for veterans are mailed from the Veteran's Administration. Trump's ill-planned mail boondoggle is hurting veterans.

I have an order of flash frozen seafood coming from Oregon. I am hoping like a mofo that it doesn't arrive unfrozen, especially in the record Arizona heat.

Also, I receive a monthly shipment of a specific combination of amino acids from Germany. I track each shipment. Recently when the shipment arrives in New York it is hung up in the system for about a week or more. The tracking is fairly detailed. I can determine how long it remains in customs and when it is released to a mail distribution center and how it is processed from there. Just last week I changed the timing of my reorders in an effort to second guess delayed handling in the US.

In addition, most medications for veterans are mailed from the Veteran's Administration. Trump's ill-planned mail boondoggle is hurting veterans.

Imports getting stuck in customs sucks. One time we had an incoming shipment of GE-132 held up in customs, who wanted us to then fill out piles of forms due to the label being in Chinese for the white powder ($4500 a kilo). Instead, even though it a $9000 cost shipment (2 kilos), we told customs we are refusing the package and to return or destroy it - knowing we would not receive a refund either way.

Comment: China is in business. Many Chinese companies will put anything you want on product and shipping labels to get it past customs. Just tell them what you want it to say. (For the Ge-132 they had labeled it as "white printing ink powder" in Chinese - and they had decided to do that. We never asked for any misinformation for customs as that is the path to prison - but no risk to the Chinese company.)

Last edited:
Scrambled eggs.

lol

But actually, the chicks are sexed before shipping because people want hens not roosters. You can't tell that when they're still in the shell.

It is not all chickens and yes they can determine that in the shell these days with a very high degree of accuracy so that the male eggs can be reprocessed without having to kill the baby chicks once born. They are about 98% closing in on 100% accurate 10 days from fertilization of the egg.

This is BS. Just another fake outrage over NOTHING - particular since it was Obama who eliminated most post office boxes. Under Trump, only redundant boxes were removed (more than 1 at the location).

Why not use UPS instead then?

Shipping Live Animals | UPS - United States

Anyone who ships or receives many packages - whether by the USPS, UPS, and/or FedEx - for which they claim there has never been a late delivery is lying. This really is nothing. Shipped live animals arriving dead is nothing new, even if flown.

This all is fake outrage. To stop people buy drugs not from American big Pharma, Obama attacked FedEx for delivering drugs - for which FedEx and UPS largely then stopped doing so, throwing it all on the USPS. In those regs, Obama established massive liabilities for regular mailing/shipping prescription drugs - meaning they can NOT go thru ordinary delivery even if overnight mail. Notice this is 2014:

FedEx could face $1.6bn fine over illegal drug shipping charges | Post & Parcel

We heard about this from our FedEx rep back when the Obama administration did this. He lost his largest overnight shipping account over this. Democrats destroy something - and then try to blame Republicans incessantly. ALL THIS IS ON OBAMA, not Trump. Obama basically outlawed FedEx and UPS delivering prescriptions without facing massive liabilities.

Now, for OBAMA's dirty work, Democrats rant about problems getting prescription drugs delivered overnight? This kind of evil political tactics is one of the many reasons I so despise the Democratic Party. They deliberately hurt people - certain they can use the lying MSM to blame Republicans for their evil deeds.

Last edited:
Imports getting stuck in customs sucks. One time we had an incoming shipment of GE-132 held up in customs, who wanted us to then fill out piles of forms due to the label being in Chinese for the white powder ($4500 a kilo). Instead, even though it a $9000 cost shipment (2 kilos), we told customs we are refusing the package and to return or destroy it - knowing we would not receive a refund either way.

Comment: China is in business. Many Chinese companies will put anything you want on product and shipping labels to get it past customs. Just tell them what you want it to say. (For the Ge-132 they had labeled it as "white printing ink powder" in Chinese - and they had decided to do that. We never asked for any misinformation for customs as that is the path to prison - but no risk to the Chinese company.)

Another example of import mislabeling from China are empty capsules ("pills") and capsule filling equipment. They NEVER label it or report it as what it is as technically only FDA approved facilities should be able to receive such items. However, it has become so difficult to impossible to buy many items domestically, getting around customs is a requirement to various degrees for many companies. Without stuff coming from China much of our economy would shut down. Hell, we didn't even have the industrial capacity to mass produce paper masks for over a month - and there is no possible way to blame that on President Trump. We lost most industrial capacity starting decades ago ( first to the Japanese - steel and electronics - and Taiwan - trinket crap).

Oh, the way China gets around the capsules and filling equipment ban now to non-FDA facilities is to bulk ship such items to an FDA facility they have in the USA - and then ship it from there domestically as there is no government requirement to declare what it is for domestic shipping as they are not considered hazardous materials shipping. They made that transition about 5 years ago. Good trick. Chinese companies will do damn near anything to get a dollar. US laws mean absolutely nothing to them - because they face no liability whatsoever. Only American companies face such liabilities (still another reason so much manufacturing has gone offshore.)

Last edited:
Not to mention the needless suffering of the animals, all for the purpose of trump trying to prevent the American people from having democracy and to steal the presidency.

Seems a smart entrepreneur would open up a hatchery in Maine.

Maybe I should start a poll on this:
Should people be able to mail animals by depositing the animals into street post office boxes? Why call the animal shelter for stray kittens? Just put a shipping label on a string around each one's neck with postage on it and then drop them all thru a post office box on the street down the block? As long as the dog or cat isn't too large for the slot, just shove them in - chicks, cats, dogs, injured wild life... I'm sure they'd all do just fine together in those drop mail boxes. :lamo

How do you think people would vote on that? How would you?
If the animal is too big to deposit just tie its leash around the leg of the box. The mailman will take care of the rest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Actually, Presidents have very little to do with what administrative government does.

Why do you think Obama wanted veterans and chicks to die? Why does he hate people and animals SO much. Obviously that is why HE removed 12,000 USPS post boxes.

The only animals we had shipped to us has been channel catfish (fingerlings) and a mini Pomeranian that we named "Delta" - because that is how that dog was shipped to us. About a third of the catfish were DOA.

Do you mean Bush or Obama? Banning anything but tiny packages being mailed out of post office boxes was under their administration.

You must mean Obama since his administration removed 12,000 post office boxes.

I'm getting sarcastic.

Thanks to George Washington we never have to worry about Mein Fuhrer and so we take it to vote for any idiot we want like it was a sporting event.

Do you know who he was in his next life?

He started a religious movement in the nineteen-thirties that saved us from Hitler, and then he Ascended.

Eggs need to be kept warm and rotated. Hens when sitting on eggs will rotate them at least once an hour.

If they get too cold and aren’t rotated the embryo will stop developing

Eggs need to be kept warm and rotated. Hens when sitting on eggs will rotate them at least once an hour.

If they get too cold and aren’t rotated the embryo will stop developing

I was being sarcastic.

Back
Top Bottom