• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago Pride Parade

brothern

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Just got back from the Pride Parade. It was a loads of fun for being the first Pride that I attending in the United States. Though it's a lot like any other American parades that I've seen -- loads of politicians, local businesses and big groups of employers (Walgreens, PepsiCo, ComEd) -- it still has a more unique flavor and atmosphere. I thought I'd share some pictures.

IMG_2365.jpg
The "official" start of the parade, followed closely by Rahm Emanuel. He seemed rather excited to be there and was running up and down the onlookers and shaking hands. The city is saying that the attendance this year was about the same as last year's with 800,000 attendees.

IMG_2372.jpg

Big American flag with our Veterans.

IMG_2376.jpg

Dykes on Bikes. I didn't manage to take a good picture of the monster bikes some of the other girls were riding.

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

There were a few really nice floats like this. This one was a downtown cabaret or show lounge. Most were local businesses and companies that just threw all of their employees onto a float. This is quite different from the Christopher Street Days that I saw in Köln or Berlin, which were mostly limited to LGBT interest groups instead.

There was one in Toronto aswell and the leaders of the Liberals and NDP were there aswell along with the premier of Ontario and leader of the Ontario Liberals because she is openly gay herself.

IMG_2387.jpg
"I <3 my Son"
"A Parent's Love is Unconditional"
"Homophobia Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!"

IMG_2389.jpg
Jesus done right. Every placard was a Chicago area LGBT affirming church. Not a Baptist, Catholic or Evangelical in sight!

IMG_2392.jpg
Our friends at Illinois Unites.

IMG_2401.jpg
Gay flag! Same design as the original 8-stripe one shown in the San Francisco Pride Parade too. It was created the same year Harvey Milk was assassinated.

IMG_2406.jpg
Float for a Filipino heritage group.

Last edited:
There was one in Toronto aswell and the leaders of the Liberals and NDP were there aswell along with the premier of Ontario and leader of the Ontario Liberals because she is openly gay herself.
Every politician and his aide was at the parade: Rahm, a few congress critters, several aldermen, the county clerk, the police commissioner ... I don't know why parades let all these politicians march. It want to see Pride or the 4th of July or the Irish Day parade. Not these hot air bags.

Every politician and his aide was at the parade: Rahm, a few congress critters, several aldermen, the county clerk, the police commissioner ... I don't know why parades let all these politicians march. It want to see Pride or the 4th of July or the Irish Day parade. Not these hot air bags.

Well here half of the politicians that went were gay anyways.

There was already enough trash on Michigan Avenue before this.

Back
Top Bottom