• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago Prepares for New Concealed Carry Gun Law......

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
This city, where violent street gangs shoot it out dozens of times a week despite some of the nation's toughest restrictions on guns, now faces a new challenge: Well-meaning citizens with the legal right to hit the streets with loaded firearms, whenever they want.

As Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn mulls whether to sign off on eliminating the country's last concealed carry ban, the question in Chicago is whether it will matter in the crime-weary city. Will a place that long had one of the tightest bans on handguns be more at risk? Or will it be safer with a law that can only add to the number of guns already on the street?

Neighborhood leaders, anti-crime activists and police officials worry about additional mayhem in Chicago. But other residents, including some who live in Chicago's more violent areas, believe more guns will allow them to defend themselves better.

"We just had a weekend where something like 48 people were shot, seven died," said Otis McDonald, 79, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that ended with the U.S. Supreme Court tossing out Chicago's strict gun ban three years ago. "Now law abiding citizens like myself ... can carry them when they want to and not carry them when they don't want to, and the people out there who will do us harm won't know when we got them and when we don't."

The bill sitting on Quinn's desk is a hard-fought compromise between conservative downstate lawmakers who opposed most gun restrictions and anti-gun lawmakers from Chicago and other urban areas. The legislation requires state police to issue a concealed-carry permit to any gun owner with a state-issued Firearm Owners Identification card, and who passes a background check, pays a $150 fee and undergoes 16 hours of training.

It's not as stringent as concealed carry laws in California, New York and a handful of others states, which give law enforcement authorities more power to deny permits. But it's more restrictive than earlier proposals by gun rights advocates, including one that would have superseded all local gun restrictions. For example, it won't wipe out Chicago and Cook County's ban on assault weapons.

Most significantly for gun control advocates, the legislation does prohibit guns in places like schools, buses, trains, bars and government buildings.

Another concern by Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart is the provision in the bill that calls for law enforcement and prosecutors to object to a governor-appointed panel if they suspect applicants are dangerous. In Cook County, where there are 358,000 registered gun owners, Dart said he's worried gang members and others who shouldn't have guns will slip through the cracks and be granted permits.....snip~

Chicago prepares for new concealed carry gun law

There you have it.....Chicago and Cook County will still carry the Assault Weapons ban despite Conceal Carry. Quinn is still mulling over the Magazine issue as well.

I wonder what the gun grabbers will say when Chicago's crime rate not only doesn't increase, but actually decreases a bit after this.

I wonder what the gun grabbers will say when Chicago's crime rate not only doesn't increase, but actually decreases a bit after this.

Heya RA. :2wave: Yeah and already the Activist Catholic Priest Father Pflager is saying this isn't going to stop the bangers from shooting back. Wonder how that plays out if the bangers know they are encountering Vets! :shoot
evilgrin.gif

It is impossible to trust that Illinois is going to establish a process anyone can engage and carry. I'm pretty sure their planning on the nations hardest to comply carry law.

But it's still a step in the right direction.

It is impossible to trust that Illinois is going to establish a process anyone can engage and carry. I'm pretty sure their planning on the nations hardest to comply carry law.

But it's still a step in the right direction.

those scumbag politicians need to get their noses rubbed in a few civil rights suits if they continue to defy the constitution

It will decrease, it has in every state where CCW is permitted.

those scumbag politicians need to get their noses rubbed in a few civil rights suits if they continue to defy the constitution

That's exactly what should happen TD. Especially when these Democrats intentionally purposely defy the SCOTUS Order and look to subvert the Constitution.

I think some jail time and even thru Contempt Charges.....will put an end to any Democrats looking to play with the Constitution over Gun Laws.

That's exactly what should happen TD. Especially when these Democrats intentionally purposely defy the SCOTUS Order and look to subvert the Constitution.

I think some jail time and even thru Contempt Charges.....will put an end to any Democrats looking to play with the Constitution over Gun Laws.

I'd like to see first degree felony treason charges myself

This city, where violent street gangs shoot it out dozens of times a week despite some of the nation's toughest restrictions on guns, now faces a new challenge: Well-meaning citizens with the legal right to hit the streets with loaded firearms, whenever they want.

As Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn mulls whether to sign off on eliminating the country's last concealed carry ban, the question in Chicago is whether it will matter in the crime-weary city. Will a place that long had one of the tightest bans on handguns be more at risk? Or will it be safer with a law that can only add to the number of guns already on the street?

Neighborhood leaders, anti-crime activists and police officials worry about additional mayhem in Chicago. But other residents, including some who live in Chicago's more violent areas, believe more guns will allow them to defend themselves better.

"We just had a weekend where something like 48 people were shot, seven died," said Otis McDonald, 79, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that ended with the U.S. Supreme Court tossing out Chicago's strict gun ban three years ago. "Now law abiding citizens like myself ... can carry them when they want to and not carry them when they don't want to, and the people out there who will do us harm won't know when we got them and when we don't."

The bill sitting on Quinn's desk is a hard-fought compromise between conservative downstate lawmakers who opposed most gun restrictions and anti-gun lawmakers from Chicago and other urban areas. The legislation requires state police to issue a concealed-carry permit to any gun owner with a state-issued Firearm Owners Identification card, and who passes a background check, pays a $150 fee and undergoes 16 hours of training.

It's not as stringent as concealed carry laws in California, New York and a handful of others states, which give law enforcement authorities more power to deny permits. But it's more restrictive than earlier proposals by gun rights advocates, including one that would have superseded all local gun restrictions. For example, it won't wipe out Chicago and Cook County's ban on assault weapons.

Most significantly for gun control advocates, the legislation does prohibit guns in places like schools, buses, trains, bars and government buildings.

Another concern by Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart is the provision in the bill that calls for law enforcement and prosecutors to object to a governor-appointed panel if they suspect applicants are dangerous. In Cook County, where there are 358,000 registered gun owners, Dart said he's worried gang members and others who shouldn't have guns will slip through the cracks and be granted permits.....snip~

Chicago prepares for new concealed carry gun law

There you have it.....Chicago and Cook County will still carry the Assault Weapons ban despite Conceal Carry. Quinn is still mulling over the Magazine issue as well.
Any word on non-resident permits and reciprocity?

Of course there is Nothing preventing these same gangsters from getting a concealed carry permit.

Except for their dislike of gov't/law, age and criminal record. It makes no sense to spend time, effort and money to legally carry a gun to use for committing crime.

This concealed carry law does nothing to adress the issue of why Chicago gangs exist in the first place.

The recreational drug laws do. They outlaw any legal competitition and keep the profits inflated.

This concealed carry law does nothing to adress the issue of why Chicago gangs exist in the first place.

True, but that's also not the point of the law. The point is to offer law abiding citizens the opportunity to protect themselves.

And how does conceal carry laws address this issue.

They do not. Concealed carry laws are simply the states being allowed to apply constitutional rights rental fees. The 2A makes absolutely no distinction between the right of the people to keep and bear arms yet the SCOTUS is very slow to figure this out. The SCOTUS seems to think that allowing folks to buy guns and keep them in their homes/cars is protection enough to satisfy the 2A and that states may outlaw open carry (of handguns) completely and then require classes, tests and charge fees to carry concealed handguns - this is somehow said to keep "the wrong people" from using handguns to commit crime.

True, but that's also not the point of the law. The point is to offer law abiding citizens the opportunity to protect themselves.

Which they already had until the states passed laws restricting it. The "opportunity" is simply permission to rent that right back from the state.

I would not expect there to be much change in the statistics.

Of course there is Nothing preventing these same gangsters from getting a concealed carry permit.
Seeing as you are from Cali, I understand that you feel that way.
But gang members dont go and get concealed permits. They carry gun when they want in spite of the law.

The gangsters are already carrying concealed, why would they need a permit?

Heya RA. :2wave: Yeah and already the Activist Catholic Priest Father Pflager is saying this isn't going to stop the bangers from shooting back. Wonder how that plays out if the bangers know they are encountering Vets! :shoot
evilgrin.gif
I don't know how Pflager hasent been defrocked yet. That SOB is a horrible representation of Catholics, we don't preach hate, we don't believe in divisiveness, and someone who professes the Cathoic faith has no business doing so. Yes, we do have strong opinions on certain issues, but who doesn't. :peace

Well, that depends. No state that I know of with CCW permit requirements makes it easy for known criminals to obtain one. I know here one must have a relatively clean record and getting arrested for many crimes is an instant revokation of said license. Most of those gangsters have long rap sheets, I'm pretty sure they couldn't get the permit. As it stands though they don't care about those laws anyway.

Back
Top Bottom