• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago prepares for a rough night as body cam footage of police killing a 13 year old boy is about to be released

“My religion is to live - and die - without regret.”​

― Milarepa
Ah you are a preacher. Lol sounds like you might have some hindsight bias not religion. Hey we all do.

You might want to try a dose of humility to go with that righteousness.

I never myself claim to understand
religion. I did put body parts in bags and cleaned roads and cleaned up fluid of all kinds.

Once you do that and see the aftermath and direct result of righteousness, religion becomes absurd.

Where I come from you got practical because the longer you took to clean up the worse the smell was.

So I suppose in that sense my religion would be making sure I do not preach, just clean floors quickly.

I have seen men full of regret. It is a very intense silence. Best I could do was sit quiet and respect their silence not invade their space.

Ony when they indicated it would I give them water. Never before. That would piss them off. You just do not presume anything for them . You stay neutral and blank.

The key was also not to look sad or horrified for them ever. Now...well I might come near but only quick to place a draft beer and some pretzels...or to make sure they have fresh coffee and chairs.

My first lesson was from talking to a WW1 vet at Queen Mary Vet Hospital. I was very young. At first I wanted to know why some had no arms and legs. They let me ask many things because of my age. Thry told me about mustard gas so I learned not all of them had that extra time to put on their masks.

You might want to think about that one.

Last edited:
I said it seems that way. Therefore, I gave an opinion and not an argument.

Don't use logical fallacies when you come across as callous in the death of a kid.

People stealing property already has a solution. We don't have a solution for cops killing people.

Priorities.
What is the solution for stealing property? No one is being punished for it as much as they used to. Here in California property theft of less than $900 is now a simple misdemeanor. It's open season on retailers. The solution for cops killing people is for criminals to not create scenarios where they make the officers feel like their lives are in danger. Most killings by police are completely justified. How many people killed by police are not in the process of some criminal act or did not just have the cops called on them because they were up to no good? The criminals CREATE THESE SITUATIONS. I agree that not all incidents of resisting arrest or should be a death sentence but come on...its the criminals stupid.

Everyone in the history of ever has a gun in their hand a second before they drop it. Logic?

Should they all be shot .8 seconds after dropping their weapon?
If the cop doesn't actually see them drop it then yes. There's your logic.

Except the criminal didn't have the gun anymore, because the criminal was complying with the orders he was given. The officer reacted before realizing this. Simple enough mistake, but with deadly consequences.
The kid did not drop the gun in a way that the officer could see that he had done so. He waited until he had an opportunity to purposely toss it behind a fence to try and "lose" the gun to avoid a possession charge. It's very simple.

No he did not argue that nor has anyone else trying to explain why the officer did not have the luxury in less than one second to know what all you sofa sitting experts do.
That was precisely what he was arguing. While yours is a tad different. You seem to be working the angle that cops killing unarmed people is just fine if one can creep in the "accident" angle.

What is the solution for stealing property? No one is being punished for it as much as they used to. Here in California property theft of less than $900 is now a simple misdemeanor. It's open season on retailers. The solution for cops killing people is for criminals to not create scenarios where they make the officers feel like their lives are in danger. Most killings by police are completely justified. How many people killed by police are not in the process of some criminal act or did not just have the cops called on them because they were up to no good? The criminals CREATE THESE SITUATIONS. I agree that not all incidents of resisting arrest or should be a death sentence but come on...its the criminals stupid.

The solution for stealing property is the police arresting them. The fact they are so bad at it is not a defense of the police shooting people needlessly.

Maybe cops need to realize their lives aren't in danger nearly as much as they seem to think. Maybe they need to stop being tender little snowflakes and work to de-escalate situations as opposed to reaching for their guns. Maybe they need to wonder why minorities so disproportionately make them feel like their lives are in danger.

Was the child a criminal? Please tell me what crime he was convicted of.

The kid did not drop the gun in a way that the officer could see that he had done so. He waited until he had an opportunity to purposely toss it behind a fence to try and "lose" the gun to avoid a possession charge. It's very simple.
Punishable by death.

The solution for stealing property is the police arresting them. The fact they are so bad at it is not a defense of the police shooting people needlessly.

Maybe cops need to realize their lives aren't in danger nearly as much as they seem to think. Maybe they need to stop being tender little snowflakes and work to de-escalate situations as opposed to reaching for their guns. Maybe they need to wonder why minorities so disproportionately make them feel like their lives are in danger.

I agree all of this except the end.

Kid was definitely a criminal, and an accessory. No doubt about that.

And I also try to avoid the age thing...fact is, a 13 year old with a gun is just as dangerous as a 25 year old with a gun.

We aren't talking about some completely different incident in New Mexico.

Course you don't want to talk about it, because it puts your asinine theory in it's place

That was precisely what he was arguing. While yours is a tad different. You seem to be working the angle that cops killing unarmed people is just fine if one can creep in the "accident" angle.

Nope, I wasn't arguing that at all, you just can't comprehend what you read.

Trying to argue that kid is unarmed is like trying to argue the lion is non-dangerous......up until he isn't.

I would love to see the people on this thread who say the cop shouldn't have shot...go through a fire or not scenario like this one

They would change their mind in a heartbeat.....but they will deflect with some bullshit reason or another.

Maybe not a convicted criminal but he and his 21 year old accomplice had just been shooting at a vehicle that's why the cops came and they ran. Their shell casings were recovered at the scene. So criminal yes. And a freshly minted gang member. He had a fresh "Latin Kings" tattoo that hadn't even healed yet.

Trying to argue that kid is unarmed is like trying to argue the lion is non-dangerous......up until he isn't.

I would love to see the people on this thread who say the cop shouldn't have shot...go through a fire or not scenario like this one

They would change their mind in a heartbeat.....but they will deflect with some bullshit reason or another.
Excellent post.

Ah you are a preacher. Lol sounds like you might have some hindsight bias not religion. Hey we all do.

You might want to try a dose of humility to go with that righteousness.

I never myself claim to understand
religion. I did put body parts in bags and cleaned roads and cleaned up fluid of all kinds.

Once you do that and see the aftermath and direct result of righteousness, religion becomes absurd.

Where I come from you got practical because the longer you took to clean up the worse the smell was.

So I suppose in that sense my religion would be making sure I do not preach, just clean floors quickly.

I have seen men full of regret. It is a very intense silence. Best I could do was sit quiet and respect their silence not invade their space.

Ony when they indicated it would I give them water. Never before. That would piss them off. You just do not presume anything for them . You stay neutral and blank.

The key was also not to look sad or horrified for them ever. Now...well I might come near but only quick to place a draft beer and some pretzels...or to make sure they have fresh coffee and chairs.

My first lesson was from talking to a WW1 vet at Queen Mary Vet Hospital. I was very young. At first I wanted to know why some had no arms and legs. They let me ask many things because of my age. Thry told me about mustard gas so I learned not all of them had that extra time to put on their masks.

You might want to think about that one.
Edited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's the preacher?

First of all Buddhism isn't a religion. Second, I don't know what all this stuff about body parts, and the Queen Mary Vet Hospital, etc. are all about, but if that's required to debate this with you, I'm qualified.

I was medivaced full of shrapnel plus two gunshot wounds from a few clicks west of an LZ called Baldy to the 95th Evac in Da Nang. After emergency surgery, I lay unconscious for 4 days. After coming to I was flown to a hospital in Japan and spent a week on a special wound care ward. I was then flown to Chelsea Naval Hospital, ward 15, via Andrews Air Force Base. I spent 6 months at Chelsea and then was sent to West Roxbury VA Hospital where I spent another 6 months having surgeries, and recovering from my wounds, muscle loss, nerve damage, arterial damage, osteomyelitis, etc. I was wounded on May 19 1968. I walked out of West Roxbury exactly one year later almost to the hour using a cane and wearing a short leg brace for foot drop. For the next 9 years, I continued to have different surgeries on my left leg, my back, a tendon transplant, my ear because my ear drum was blown into my ear and got infected, and so on. All this time I did my own physical therapy, mostly walking and a stationary bike. They told me to never walk more than 100 yards at one time. By '78 I was walking 5 miles a day mostly in the woods because I love being in the woods more than any other place.

IMO the police officer could have waited a few more seconds and that young boy who everything going against him in life would be alive and have a chance.

Bet if you didn't wait the few more seconds, you could have avoided all that.....

Just saying...

Who's the preacher?

First of all Buddhism isn't a religion. Second, I don't know what all this stuff about body parts, and the Queen Mary Vet Hospital, etc. are all about, but if that's required to debate this with you, I'm qualified.

I was medivaced full of shrapnel plus two gunshot wounds from a few clicks west of an LZ called Baldy to the 95th Evac in Da Nang. After emergency surgery, I lay unconscious for 4 days. After coming to I was flown to a hospital in Japan and spent a week on a special wound care ward. I was then flown to Chelsea Naval Hospital, ward 15, via Andrews Air Force Base. I spent 6 months at Chelsea and then was sent to West Roxbury VA Hospital where I spent another 6 months having surgeries, and recovering from my wounds, muscle loss, nerve damage, arterial damage, osteomyelitis, etc. I was wounded on May 19 1968. I walked out of West Roxbury exactly one year later almost to the hour using a cane and wearing a short leg brace for foot drop. For the next 9 years, I continued to have different surgeries on my left leg, my back, a tendon transplant, my ear because my ear drum was blown into my ear and got infected, and so on. All this time I did my own physical therapy, mostly walking and a stationary bike. They told me to never walk more than 100 yards at one time. By '78 I was walking 5 miles a day mostly in the woods because I love being in the woods more than any other place.

IMO the police officer could have waited a few more seconds and that young boy who had everything going against him in life would be alive and have a chance.
I wasn't preaching. That is a lot of shit that happened to you.
I won't comment on you any more than I would this officer but I will address an unrelated issue. Many Viet vets have been second guessed for what they did by people who were not there. Yah for me that aint right and its no different than second guessing this officer. I don't claim to preach just to ask you and others casting judgement to stop just like you do not want me judging you. That simple. No preaching. As for Bhuddism I never claimed it was a religion or preached it. However I do concur with its concept of humility which is pretty much not different than the religion I was born into and so many others. I am trying a different tone of debate yes. I do not see how villifying an officer for a sad death proves any thing other than your personal biases. Do I have biases, of course, and in this case one called presumption of innocence. I believe it should apply to the officer as much as it does that boy.

Bet if you didn't wait the few more seconds, you could have avoided all that.....

Just saying...
He had that coming but I genuinely respect his service and suffering. Not sure if people in such situations ever heal. A lot of people have invisible scars of course. Lol no preaching. Just you and me in the same head space wondering why some people like Dave don't ease up.

Last edited:
I feel very sympathetic for the police officer. He'll never completely recover from this.
Thanks. That I can respect just like your service. No preaching. I just think you are harsh in y our judgement of the officer. Thanks for that. I acknowledge that. Guess I am harsh on you too. So in that sense I can go phack myself but only if no one films it.

Unarmed kid with his empty hands up and following orders. You got nothing. And yes I stated your false choice argument perfectly before.

Unarmed kid with his empty hands up and following orders. You got nothing. And yes I stated your false choice argument perfectly before.

I don't need anything, YOU are the one that has to cling to a still picture of a moving seen like it's a goddamn life preserver.

What is the solution for stealing property? No one is being punished for it as much as they used to. Here in California property theft of less than $900 is now a simple misdemeanor.
And if it occurs in LA, that dickhead DA George Gascón probably wouldn't prosecute at all.

OK. Are you suggesting we rank most dangerous jobs? Not gonna work in your favor. Ill bet police officers don't even make the top 10. Wanna take that bet?
The top 25 instead. Top 2 occupations with the highest rate of death from homicide.

Or live in the right neighborhood where police don't treat the citizens like enemy combatants.

The police responding to gunshots being fired in any neighborhood would treat someone running from the scene with a handgun as an enemy combatant.

Crime is always going to exist. It's in black neighborhoods, brown neighborhoods, white neighborhoods, and mixed neighborhoods. But only certain ones have cop cars rolling up and down the streets constantly looking for reasons to harass people. Why? Because if that sort of shit was happening in white suburbia the police would have already been reformed years ago.

Those are the high crime areas where they what you call "harass people".. Certainly makes more sense than doing it in areas with no crime problem. I can remember in the 70s-80s when the complaint against the police was that crime was left to run rampant in the black communities because of the racism of the police force only concerned with combatting crime in the white neighborhoods.

Back
Top Bottom