• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago prepares for a rough night as body cam footage of police killing a 13 year old boy is about to be released

Ok, so no criticism of a 13 year old running the streets, with a gun, at 2 a.m.? And do tell Kevin, what is the police officer supposed to do when in a foot chase with an armed suspect? Allow himself to be fired on first?
Its not OK for a 13 year old to be out at 2 am running the streets with another adult, likely gang member, both engaged in criminal activity.

But last I checked, thats not a crime that carries with it a sentence of death. Correct?

As for what the officer is supposed to do? Let's start with, not shooting people who are in the act of complying with their orders.

I'm sure the cop did think the criminal had a gun. But here's the thing...we don't operate on what we think, we operate on what we know. We don't convict on what we think, we convict on what we know. An officer THINKING someone is a clear and present danger should not be, and is not a death sentence.

Absolutely it is.....that's literally the definition of it.....

Kid presents that he has a gun....he runs with said gun.....officer chases...kid doesn't drop the gun, but stops and turns towards the officer.....your contention is that the officer should wait until he is shot at before doing anything....right?

So then you agree he didn't spin around with the gun in his hand. It was tossed as he began to turn.
So, no, I agree the gun was visible, then for a split second, it was obscured as he turned, and the cop had .838 seconds to make a life and death decision. Sitting here, in the safety of our home, behind a laptop screen, and plenty of time to re-watch the video as many times as we need to decide whether the kid intended to shoot with the gun that was in his hand when he turned, and the luxury of hindsight, and knowing he tossed the gun as he turned, it's a lot easier to make that decision. When he began to turn, the gun was visible. The tossing of the gun was obscured. The video speaks for himself. The cop was responding to shots fired, at 2:30am, chased the suspect down an alley that had a gun in his hand, and had .838 seconds to analyze whether the gunman was turning to shoot. Those are the facts. The video speaks for itself. As soon as the cop saw the gun was no longer in his hand, he immediately stopped shooting. That alone, is pretty remarkable focus.

Kid presents that he has a gun....he runs with said gun.....officer chases...kid doesn't drop the gun, but stops and turns towards the officer.....your contention is that the officer should wait until he is shot at before doing anything....right?

Except the criminal didn't have the gun anymore, because the criminal was complying with the orders he was given. The officer reacted before realizing this. Simple enough mistake, but with deadly consequences.

Except the criminal didn't have the gun anymore, because the criminal was complying with the orders he was given. The officer reacted before realizing this. Simple enough mistake, but with deadly consequences.

It wasn't a mistake FFS.....the officer reacted because the criminal gave him no choice...

Just admit it....you have no qualms over officers getting shot,but you wet your panties when criminals do.

Between this kind of coverage and Tucker Carlson's regular "White Replacement" rants, Fox just doesn't even try to hide it anymore.

Last edited:
It wasn't a mistake FFS.....the officer reacted because the criminal gave him no choice...

Just admit it....you have no qualms over officers getting shot,but you wet your panties when criminals do.
I dont wish ill on anyone. Which is why I have a problem with giving law enforcement a pass for shooting unarmed perps.

I've seen no one in here saying they hope or are fine with cops get shot or killed. No one. You are putting forth the false narrative that cops should be allowed to kill whomever they want, whenever they want and if you don't agree with that then you want cops dead. Such a bullshit lie.

Personally, I dont think this should go to court. I dont think the officer harbored ill intent. I think he was afraid, and was likely afraid from the get go, and made a fear based reaction.

I think we need to ask ourselves, why was he afraid? Chasing a gun carrying criminal a 2 am? I'd call that pretty scary, no doubt about it. I wouldn't want to do it. But then, I race cars. I battle fear for the entire lap, every lap. Anyone who has ever wiped out, rolled, or slid off track, swapped ends, etc, knows that fear. But we still do it. And we maintain control of ourselves throughout that fear.

Officers know what they are signing up for. You gonna be a cop in Chicago? Thats means at some point, your gonna see and do some scary stuff.

End of the day, this officer caught a criminal, and the criminal was in the act of complying with his orders. And out of fear of what COULD happen, he shot the criminal and killed him. He was afraid, and so ended the possibilities, the "what coulds". Criminal? I dont think so. But like the race car driver who can't handle throttling into the apex instead of breaking, this guy maybe shouldn't be a cop. And like that fearful race driver, when he wipes out as a result of him breaking out of fear, taking others with him, the body that sanctioned him owes those other drivers. They issued his license, said he was good to go. So too, does Chicago owe a debt.

Exactly right. Not just the highlighted, but all of it.

I've seen no one in here saying they hope or are fine with cops get shot or killed. No one. You are putting forth the false narrative that cops should be allowed to kill whomever they want, whenever they want and if you don't agree with that then you want cops dead. Such a bullshit lie.
No he did not argue that nor has anyone else trying to explain why the officer did not have the luxury in less than one second to know what all you sofa sitting experts do.

Well if you don't know you don't shoot.
How'd that work for Officer Jarrott?

How'd that work for Officer Jarrott?

We aren't talking about some completely different incident in New Mexico.

Did he point the gun at them? If not, police training failed. Period. I guess we'll know after the body cam videos are released.
A police officer should not have to wait until a gun is actually pointed at them to shoot. That's how you get killed.

Every conservative or “libertarian” who thinks things are more important than people.
I'm pretty sure the property owners who worked hard to build a business give a shit. Are you one of those people who think people shouldn't own property or have their own business? Or are you just a hater because you dont? Oh let me guess, everything is "insured" so it's OK for ppl to burn it down right? But then you keep the EVIL insurance companies in business......SMH all around with your nonsense.

Well if you don't know you don't shoot.
Actually you do and the fact that you can not grasp that speaks to your repeated statements Dave evidencing you are unable to grasp the less than one second moment that officer had to decide what they did.

Furthermore, the officer was not taught to wait to die to make sure he was not going to die. That is illogical as is your presumed standard that the officer must hesitate to be certain. It is not how police or any front liner is trained.

You in fact have a fixed notion as to what the standard of reaction protocol should be that in fact could lead to many deaths because you believe the life of the perpetrator is more valuable than the life of the officer. That is illogical.

Both lives count and you and you and I may disagree on this but tneither of us wants either the officer or perpetrator dying.

Sometimes split decision reality does not afford the hindsight you have or think they have. It just may be the officer can't operate the wait you think they should.

So what I challenge you to do is show the same humane consideration to the officer as you do the deceased.

Needlessly killing an officer in a future incident with the hesitation you expect will not help that dead boy come back to life or someone else in the future who might die because an officer died and was then unable to protect them from the pepetrator.

I do not defend excessive force but some of us unlike you have made errors in situations we did not have the chance to react to as you think we should have. We did not have the benefit of the time span you think we had. We live with our deeds and mistakes.

How about you ..do you live with any regrets?

In he last five years there have averaged over 1,000 killings by police officers...
Great. Now break that down into how many of these killings were justified because the perp was armed, and how many were not. Then compare that stat with how many police interactions with the public happened in the last 5 years where nothing happened.

When the stills come out you'll likely see that Toledo has the pistol in his right hand while his back is to the cop. He then turns to his right, tosses the gun and puts his hands up. Just before the cop shoots Toledo's hands are up and empty. By his body positioning Toledo pretty much precludes the cop from knowing that he had tossed the gun thus, as he starts to turn the cop pretty much had to assume that the gun was coming with the turn.
Exactly.

Yeah sounds like bad parenting. Most likely a single parent home. Maybe the parent was at work. Maybe drunk or stoned. Maybe disabled or in hospital. Maybe just didn’t give a shit where their kid was. Still doesn’t justify the cops executing a child in the street. And maybe even if you’re a shitty parent or a sick or an absent parent, it’s not really your fault that a dumb violent cop murdered your kid.
So are you admitting that "not really your fault" kinda means "somewhat at fault"? Do we give all parents of delinquent kids a pass because, delinquency?

Back
Top Bottom