• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago prepares for a rough night as body cam footage of police killing a 13 year old boy is about to be released

Never claimed otherwise.

This is utterly moronic. A cop has no more obligation to allow harm to come to himself when dealing with the mentally ill than he does when dealing with the sane.

The obligatinos of a cop are product of social expectations. We consistently ask people to assume risk and pay them to protect our values by assuming much higher risk in Kabul . We can CERTAINLY ask publis servants to assume some risk inside our cities. If there are people who do not want to do it, they can get the **** out of the policde force and leave room for some low-level young soldiers who will be willing to get the much higher salaries and benefits of the cop to do their job. Also, what is MORONIC is to let off the hook cops who were WARNED that they were going to deal with a mentally ill person who was out of control and did not take any precaution becaue they only thing they know is how to pull a trigger to baill them out.

Question: why was a cop, trained in such things, shooting a kid who dropped his gun and had his hands up?

Can you point out in the video when he dropped the gun? Can you show us the gun on the ground within the sight of Stillman?

I'm not doubting they exist. What I'm saying is that the strobe can still be seen flashing even over 7 minutes later as the female officer tells Stillman to sit down. The strobe is flashing on the ground to his right.

I'm not sure why you want to keep arguing what's on the video, I heard it myself and hadn't read it anywhere but here, I went ahead and looked up what was said so I'll point out it again using a source besides my own ears:

All you have to do is play the video. As I stated before, he says "show me your fkn hands--drop it! drop (bang) it!

That's twice. And imo it makes it clear he felt as Toledo brought his right arm around and up the weapon was still in his hand.
Damn man. Think you might need to get your hearing tested. Seriously. I scripted the officers commands in the order in which he gave them from the initiation of the foot chase till shot and the commands seem to get more conflicted and confusing toward the end of the chase.

" Police! Stop!"
" Stop!"
"Right....get down!"
"Hands!.....Show me your ****ing hands!"
"Stop it!"..."Drop it!" BANG!!!

He shouts "get down" and then follows that with "hands", "show me your ****ing hands" So which does he want the kid to do? Drop to the ground or show him his hands. He can't do both at the same time. Then he says "stop it". Stop what? Stop showing his hands to him after commanding him to do so? And drop what? He didn't have anything in his hands to drop. If the officer thought that he still had a gun in his hand don't you think that just might be because that was the image his brain filled in for him when the strobe went from off to back on?

The one that really gets me is when he asks Adam if he's alright. You just shot me directly in my chest at close range. Of course I'm alright. You dumbass!

Damn man. Think you might need to get your hearing tested. Seriously. I scripted the officers commands in the order in which he gave them from the initiation of the foot chase till shot and the commands seem to get more conflicted and confusing toward the end of the chase.

" Police! Stop!"
" Stop!"
"Right....get down!"
"Hands!.....Show me your ****ing hands!"
"Stop it!"..."Drop it!" BANG!!!

He shouts "get down" and then follows that with "hands", "show me your ****ing hands" So which does he want the kid to do? Drop to the ground or show him his hands. He can't do both at the same time. Then he says "stop it". Stop what? Stop showing his hands to him after commanding him to do so? And drop what? He didn't have anything in his hands to drop. If the officer thought that he still had a gun in his hand don't you think that just might be because that was the image his brain filled in for him when the strobe went from off to back on?

The one that really gets me is when he asks Adam if he's alright. You just shot me directly in my chest at close range. Of course I'm alright. You dumbass!

So let's take a look:

"Police! Stop!"=yes he says that at 1:59

"Stop"=yes he says that at 2:00, but you've completely left out the "Stop right fkn now" that goes with it. So the complete sentence is "Stop, Stop right fkning now.

"Right......get down!"=no, he never says such a thing. The only thing I can conclude is that you think when he says "stop right fking now" you instead hear "right....get down".

"Hands!....Show me your fking hands!" =yes he says that at 2:03

"Stop it!"..."Drop it!" BANG!!! (2:04)

The one I've bolded is interesting. Mainly because the whole reason we're discussing this is because of the claim Stillman never told him to drop the gun. Once it was pointed out Stillman said drop it your argument was it was clear if he said stop it, or drop, but then finally agree drop it makes far more sense than stop it. But you were adamant that whatever he said (which you also stated was garbled beyond recognition) it was not twice. Except now you've decided he said Stop it!...Drop it! Which again yelling "stop it" makes no sense to yell at someone you want to DROP a weapon. Yelling Drop it...Drop it!!! Certainly does.

And you've actually added in something that was never said "Right....get down!" and are suggesting Toledo couldn't follow an order to get down and show his hands, when the truth is there was never any order for him to get down. You add to that by actually stating what I stated to you from the start on him yelling "stop it!" Since he says it at the moment the weapon is seen, a logical conclusion is he's yelling Drop it! because Toledo's right hand has gone behind his body (and the fence, to ummm you know to "toss" the weapon he's being told to drop) And he's in the middle of repeating Drop it!! When Toledo's right arm is raising. So here it is again:

The white officer, Eric Stillman, was responding to reports of shots fired in Little Village, a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood of the city’s southwest side, around 3 a.m. on March 29. Stillman’s jumpy, nighttime bodycam footage shows him chasing Toledo, who was Latino, on foot down an alley for several seconds and yelling: “Police! Stop! Stop right (expletive) now!”

As the teen slows down, Stillman yells: !
The white officer, Eric Stillman, was responding to reports of shots fired in Little Village, a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood of the city’s southwest side, around 3 a.m. on March 29. Stillman’s jumpy, nighttime bodycam footage shows him chasing Toledo, who was Latino, on foot down an alley for several seconds and yelling: “Police! Stop! Stop right (expletive) now!”

As the teen slows down, Stillman yells: “Hands! Hands! Show me your (expletive) hands!” Toledo then turns toward the camera, Stillman yells, “Drop it!” and midway between repeating that command, he fires and Toledo falls.

And yes it seems like a dumb question but maybe he was just hoping the kid would make some kind of response.

Back
Top Bottom