• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago prepares for a rough night as body cam footage of police killing a 13 year old boy is about to be released

Excast

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Another day and another city finding itself in the grips of likely social turmoil over police taking a life.

We are only minutes away from the Civilian Office of Police Accountability releasing multiple body cam videos that show the killing of 13 year old Adam Toledo by officers on March 29th. There were reports of gunshots in the area, but Toledo was only using an airsoft gun. This brings back unfortunate memories of Tamir Rice, another child who was gunned down by police almost immediately after they approached him in their vehicle.

For those of us that grew-up in urban environments, during a time when every kid had a singshot, bow & arrow, and B.B. gun, today's policing environment is shockingly scary.

Lightfoot, who at times during the press conference became emotional, said that everyone who views the video needs to proceed with peace, empathy and calmness. loot the local Walmart and any liquor stores in the immediate area.

I fixed the above to emphasize the importance of destroying local businesses as a response to police misconduct.

It's what Adam would have wanted.

For those of us that grew-up in urban environments, during a time when every kid had a singshot, bow & arrow, and B.B. gun, today's policing environment is shockingly scary.

My brother and I used to mess around with airsoft guns all of the time growing up. So did the majority of our peers. There was never even the consideration that a cop would roll up on us and open fire without even giving us the chance to explain ourselves.

Another day and another city finding itself in the grips of likely social turmoil over police taking a life.

We are only minutes away from the Civilian Office of Police Accountability releasing multiple body cam videos that show the killing of 13 year old Adam Toledo by officers on March 29th. There were reports of gunshots in the area, but Toledo was only using an airsoft gun. This brings back unfortunate memories of Tamir Rice, another child who was gunned down by police almost immediately after they approached him in their vehicle.

Police training across the nation needs to un-**** itself. Like yesterday.

If Chicago blows up over this, it's another case of self-proclaimed victims denying any obligation to self awareness. Chicago is a place where it's not unusual for 13 year old children to be armed, murderous gang members. The police should not have to risk death to determine whether the weapon is real. They should have the right to go home at the end of their shift without first daring armed people to prove their weapons are just toys.

If I were a black parent in Chicago and believed in my own racial profiling and oppression by police, a "toy" gun that looks like a real one would NEVER be an acceptable toy for my son. This is a case of gross incompetence, bordering neglect, for this kid's parents. It's a tragic loss that could have been prevented not by the police but by the adults in this kid's life.

If Chicago blows up over this, it's another case of self-proclaimed victims denying any obligation to self awareness. Chicago is a place where it's not unusual for 13 year old children to be armed, murderous gang members. The police should not have to risk death to determine whether the weapon is real. They should have the right to go home at the end of their shift without first daring armed people to prove their weapons are just toys.

If I were a black parent in Chicago and believed in my own racial profiling and oppression by police, a "toy" gun that looks like a real one would NEVER be an acceptable toy for my son. This is a case of gross incompetence, bordering neglect, for this kid's parents. It's a tragic loss that could have been prevented not by the police but by the adults in this kid's life.

40 or 50 police officers are shot and killed yearly. Dozens of times that many civilians are killed by police, but we are told it's not a problem large enough to worry about.

The fact that parents need to be terrified of overzealous, trigger happy cops gunning down their kids is an indictment of the police.

Armed 13 year old kid? Had a gun in his hand when he died eh?

Its not the "policing environment" thats "scary". IMO.

I'm not sure I understand: how is this a Police problem exactly? Its a criminal problem.
Where was "13 year old Adams" daddy? At 2am when his kid was running tech streets with a gun in his hand?

Disgraceful post. Blaming parents for the cops murdering their child.

My brother and I used to mess around with airsoft guns all of the time growing up. So did the majority of our peers. There was never even the consideration that a cop would roll up on us and open fire without even giving us the chance to explain ourselves.

Where did you grow up? Did children participate in drive-bys in your town? Chicago is a bit of a unique place because, like in LA, Detroit and DC, amongst others, the reality is much more dismal.

A cop killed by a child is just as dead. I think we've seen too many murders by young people to believe it can't happen. There's more than one tragedy in this case. The greatest, perhaps, is that many will blame the police for being imperfect when our society is willing to hold them to a higher standard than the parents who allow their children to walk the streets with realistic weapons.

I have no hope that an angry black community will be forced by this to an introspective place, but that's what should happen.

Armed 13 year old kid? Had a gun in his hand when he died eh?

Its not the "policing environment" thats "scary". IMO.

I'm not sure I understand: how is this a Police problem exactly? Its a criminal problem.
Where was "13 year old Adams" daddy? At 2am when his kid was running tech streets with a gun in his hand?

While I am sure the idea of a child being killed by the cops thrills you, Adam Toledo had a toy in his hand when the police murdered him. A cop killing a child is a police problem. Just as it was when they murdered Tamir Rice.

Where did you grow up? Did children participate in drive-bys in your town? Chicago is a bit of a unique place because, like in LA, Detroit and DC, amongst others, the reality is much more dismal.

A cop killed by a child is just as dead. I think we've seen too many murders by young people to believe it can't happen. There's more than one tragedy in this case. The greatest, perhaps, is that many will blame the police for being imperfect when our society is willing to hold them to a higher standard than the parents who allow their children to walk the streets with realistic weapons.

I have no hope that an angry black community will be forced by this to an introspective place, but that's what should happen.

A grand total of 48 police officers were shot and killed last year. Cops killed 20-30x that number. Can we stop pretending that the job is so violent and so many people are out to murder them that their first instinct always has to be ending a life?

While I am sure the idea of a child being killed by the cops thrills you, Adam Toledo had a toy in his hand when the police murdered him. A cop killing a child is a police problem. Just as it was when they murdered Tamir Rice.
Thats not what it said in the link that was posted. It said "gun". And whether or not it was a "toy" isnt relevant since it could be seen as real, and the Police have no way to know that beforehand.

As far as Tamir Rice, he wasn't "murdered" either. Not according to a grand jury anyway. You have to stop making excuses and blaming the Police, and try to look at the real issues here.
Making excuses will bear no fruit.

40 or 50 police officers are shot and killed yearly. Dozens of times that many civilians are killed by police, but we are told it's not a problem large enough to worry about.

The fact that parents need to be terrified of overzealous, trigger happy cops gunning down their kids is an indictment of the police.

Tell the "parents" to raise their children to respect the law and stop playing with guns then.

Did he point the gun at them? If not, police training failed. Period. I guess we'll know after the body cam videos are released.

You think a cop must have a gun p[ointed right at them before they take action eh?

LOL. I cant see where that would result in any problems.
Better ideas: criminals can obey the laws and stop running the streets robbing and killing people. (I like my idea better)

A grand total of 48 police officers were shot and killed last year. Cops killed 20-30x that number. Can we stop pretending that the job is so violent and so many people are out to murder them that their first instinct always has to be ending a life?
A grand total, Like 48 LEO deaths are acceptable?

Cops kill 20X that number. What is the justification ratio for those?

As you seem to think 48 LEO deaths are justified.

ZERO Leo's should be killed in the line of duty. ZERO innocent people should be killed by a police officer. A criminal committing a crime and potentially endangering others may need to be stopped with deadly force.

You see the problem there?

Tell the "parents" to raise their children to respect the law and stop playing with guns then.

I'd be more interested in telling parents to teach their kids the value of the life in front of them. That way we have fewer cops behaving like Rambo and fewer racist trolls on online forums.

I'd be more interested in telling parents to teach their kids the value of the life in front of them. That way we have fewer cops behaving like Rambo and fewer racist trolls on online forums.

Well when a cop tell you to drop a weapon, that means you're about to get shot.
If you ignore that, they'll shoot you.
Gosh, I thought everybody knew that. Stick with me kid, I'll show you the ropes. (y)

You think a cop must have a gun p[ointed right at them before they take action eh?

LOL. I cant see where that would result in any problems.
Better ideas: criminals can obey the laws and stop running the streets robbing and killing people. (I like my idea better)
Cops should not shoot people (especially kids) who have toy guns that are not pointed at anybody. The police are not soldiers.

Why don't you stick to the facts? This kid had an air soft gun. He wasn't disobeying the laws and running the streets robbing and killing people. That's just your racist projection.

Cops should not shoot people (especially kids) who have toy guns that are not pointed at anybody. The police are not soldiers.

Why don't you stick to the facts? This kid had an air soft gun. He wasn't disobeying the laws and running the streets robbing and killing people. That's just your racist projection.

What was he doing on the streets at 2am running from Police with an airsoft gun in his hand?
He was out using that gun to commit armed robberies. Thats what.
He played stupid games. He won a stupid prize.
Not a Police problem. I really have no idea how anyone could put that onto the Police instead of the kid and his parent. But you do you.

I fixed the above to emphasize the importance of destroying local businesses as a response to police misconduct.

It's what Adam would have wanted.

Who gives a shit about property.

Back
Top Bottom