• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago police release video related to shooting of unarmed man

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Chicago police release video related to shooting of unarmed man - CNN.com
Chicago Police Department released videos Friday showing the July 28 officer-involved shooting incident of 18-year-old Paul O'Neal. Officers are heard cursing at O'Neal, whose arms appear limp as they put him in handcuffs. The fatal shooting is not captured in the videos, but the shots can be heard.
Chicago police, in a nationwide conference call and bulletin, warned of "civil unrest" and potential violence against cops following the department's anticipated release of video related to an incident in which a black man was fatally shot in the back, two law enforcement officials said Friday.
The officer violated policy in last week's shooting of 18-year-old Paul O'Neal, the bulletin said.
****, here we go again..

Keep shooting people in the back and shooting unarmed citizens...there's going to eventually be some anger at it.

Hopefully Chicago doesn't dissolve into chaos and police shootings.

Keep shooting people in the back and shooting unarmed citizens...there's going to eventually be some anger at it.

I hope not too. I live here.

It's going to be interesting to see how this current case is handled vs the Laquan McDonald shooting, since the feds have been all over and inside the CPD, Review Board, and State's Attorney office. Hell, they're even doing ride-alongs!

As we can see, this case is already being handled much more forthright and transparently (though I'd argue the new 60 day release period for videos is still far too long).

With all the rage lately about anti-government intervention from some sectors of society, I can assure you the only thing that cleans-up local jurisdictions gone bad *is* fed intervention.

Willow Springs, Cicero, and other suburbs come to mind, and now it's Chicago's (long overdue) turn.

Im not anticop and i appriciate that they have a difficult job where life and death is on the line. I think ots inexcusable to not have a law in place that requires all law enforcement members to have both dash cams and body cams on while on active duty.

Maybe these cops reacted readonably and maybe they didnt but considering the victim is dead we only get the cops version of the events.

Btw i dont believe institutional racism is involved. Its abuse of power and an unwillingness to cross the blue line thats the problem.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

looks like they tried to block his car in with their squad car, but he had just enough room to squeeze past. And even though he was driving less than 5 mph and didn't come close to hitting either officer, both officers took this "near collision" (I guess we'll call it) as an excuse to open fire, he jumped out of the car and ran away, while a 3rd officer chased him then shot him in the back, they are then seen kicking and cursing the dying teens bleeding body as they handcuff him and pat eachother on the back and the officer that killed him has apparently destroyed his body cam footage.

Just a reminder, police have killed 640 Americans so far this year.

Btw i dont believe institutional racism is involved. Its abuse of power and an unwillingness to cross the blue line thats the problem.

People are not claiming institutional racism, that being explicit racism condoned by an institution. People are claiming systemic racism, which is a fact. Systemic racism explains why this happens 1000x more to blacks than whites.

People are not claiming institutional racism, that being explicit racism condoned by an institution. People are claiming systemic racism, which is a fact. Systemic racism explains why this happens 1000x more to blacks than whites.

Except that it doesn't.

Except that it doesn't.

Ok, "Countryboy". I'm sure we live in utopia and there is no racism transcending our housing, employment and justice system.

This is going to be a tough one.

On the one hand, the guy did use a vehicle to ram an oncoming police car head-on. As such, the vehicle constitutes a weapon.

But on the other hand, once the victim left his vehicle he should've been considered "unarmed" like anyone else not holding a fire arm especially since the victim never fired back at them.

I think the police were 100% justified in firing at the car as it sped away after colliding head-on with the patrol car. I think they went into overkill once the chase commenced on foot and no shots were fired at them.

Ok, "Countryboy". I'm sure we live in utopia and there is no racism transcending our housing, employment and justice system.

I never said that, but you either have no idea what you are talking about with regards to police shooting citizens, or, you are purposefully misrepresenting the facts. My money is on the latter.

I never said that, but you either have no idea what you are talking about with regards to police shooting citizens, or, you are purposefully misrepresenting the facts. My money is on the latter.

Yeah, yeah, sure, "Countryboy". Blacks are treated fairly and equally by law enforcement!

On the one hand, the guy did use a vehicle to ram an oncoming police car head-on. As such, the vehicle constitutes a weapon.

But on the other hand, once the victim left his vehicle he should've been considered "unarmed" like anyone else not holding a fire arm especially since the victim never fired back at them.

I think the police were 100% justified in firing at the car as it sped away after colliding head-on with the patrol car. I think they went into overkill once the chase commenced on foot and no shots were fired at them.
I understand that 2 Officers exited their vehicle and were nearly hit. Why did they exit the vehicle is what comes to my mind?

It's already pretty much chaos. All the oppurtinists are licking their chops though---they don't really give a damn about this kid, but it's an excuse to act out and maybe put a bullet in that one guy who lives three blocks over with the nice stereo.

I believe that three cops have already been stripped of gun and badge and relegated to desk duty.

The question is was there a credible threat that required lethal force.

It is not looking good for the CPD, which is not surprising.

I am still stunned by the fact that everyone is aware how cameras are catching bad cop actions, and the morons still think that they are above the law and can meld out any lethal punishment that they see fit.

The Catholic Church is guilty of exactly the same level of denial.

Yeah, yeah, sure, "Countryboy". Blacks are treated fairly and equally by law enforcement!

Evidently.............. blacks don't like each other much in Chicago either.

over 2000 black on black shooting in Chicago this year already.

I don't see you whining about that fact everyday.

I understand that 2 Officers exited their vehicle and were nearly hit. Why did they exit the vehicle is what comes to my mind?

One of the things not mentioned is how cops arbitrarily put themselves in danger then proclaim how horrendously dangerous their jobs are. Imagine a McDonald's fry cook sticking his hand in boiling hot grease then saying "omg my job is so dangerous look at my hand!"

I believe that three cops have already been stripped of gun and badge and relegated to desk duty.

The question is was there a credible threat that required lethal force.

It is not looking good for the CPD, which is not surprising.

I am still stunned by the fact that everyone is aware how cameras are catching bad cop actions, and the morons still think that they are above the law and can meld out any lethal punishment that they see fit.

The Catholic Church is guilty of exactly the same level of denial.
The cop that fired the lethal bullets "accidentally" destroyed his own body camera video, or maybe it was the Chief Of Police that did it.

Last edited:
Evidently.............. blacks don't like each other much in Chicago either.

over 2000 black on black shooting in Chicago this year already.

I don't see you whining about that fact everyday.

Gang members shooting each other is not near the threat to society that police brutality and unjustified killings are. Injustice by the police threatens all of society, gang violence does not. Do try to stay on topic.

Gang members shooting each other is not near the threat to society that police brutality and unjustified killings are. Injustice by the police threatens all of society, gang violence does not. Do try to stay on topic.

Until they hit the innocent kids,, And that has happened many times in Chicago.

djl

One of the things not mentioned is how cops arbitrarily put themselves in danger then proclaim how horrendously dangerous their jobs are. Imagine a McDonald's fry cook sticking his hand in boiling hot grease then saying "omg my job is so dangerous look at my hand!"

I only had a quick look at the video. it appears they stopped, exited their vehicle and nearly got hit?
If so, WTF reason did they exit a safer place, then standing where they almost were hit?

Until they hit the innocent kids,, And that has happened many times in Chicago.

djl

I don't live in Chicago, makes no difference to me. Police brutality and injustice against blacks does affect me, even as a white man.

Kids being hit in a drive-by is not anywhere near as harmful to society as police injustice.

It's already pretty much chaos. All the oppurtinists are licking their chops though---they don't really give a damn about this kid, but it's an excuse to act out and maybe put a bullet in that one guy who lives three blocks over with the nice stereo.

It's not 100% that, there are people who are politically and community oriented and really want a change. But those looking to take advantage in order to commit crimes do certainly exist.

WTF did you just type? ..........................gang shootings are a hell of a lot more frequent, and they happen in every city in America. Many many innocent people are killed while it goes on.

People lock themselves in their houses because of gangs.

Police injustice is everywhere as you say?

Right Bro.........got it!

Back
Top Bottom