• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago Police Dept. Plagued by Systemic Racism, Task Force Finds

CPD- evidence of racist behaviors?

• Not sure???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The report, issued on Wednesday, was blistering, blunt and backed up by devastating statistics. Coincidentally, it was released as city leaders were installing a new, permanent superintendent for the Chicago Police Department.

“The community’s lack of trust in CPD is justified,” the task force wrote. “There is substantial evidence that people of color — particularly African-Americans — have had disproportionately negative experiences with the police over an extended period of time.”

Link to the report
CPD accountability task force report - Chicago Tribune

Appears to be explosive.
Thoughts are?

CPD- evidence of racist behaviors –Yes

CPD- evidence of racist behaviors –No

CPD- evidence of racist behaviors –Other Pls explain

What I've anecdotally seen is racism, but a very complicated form. Skin color has enough to do with it, but there's also an economic and geographical component. It's more of an "us vs them" environment, with the "us" being the coppers and those suburb-like lily-white "cop & fireman" neighborhoods on the far edges of the city, and the "them" being the "dirtballs & thugs" living in the poor, violent, crime-ridden neighborhoods in the inner-city that are inhabited primarily by black and Mexican residents - though this most often refers particularly to black neighborhoods.

Most of those "them" neighborhoods in Chicago are so utterly horrendous most of us wouldn't live there. And many of the coppers will say, "only **** and crap lives in those neighborhoods!". They believe no one straight & decent would stick around in the drug and hooker neighborhoods, and as terribly stereotyped as that statement is, there has been an exodus from the worst neighborhoods leaving block upon block of abandoned no man's land, except for drug dealers, junkies & crack-heads, and hookers living in and using the abandoned properties for their nefarious deeds.

I won't condone or accept much of this attitude, but these guys get it from dealing with neighborhoods where the criminal element may be the predominate neighborhood culture.

Another thing to remember is: The serious tactical policing is done at an astronomically higher magnitude of staffing in these problem neighborhood, especially on night and weekends! So a ratio of staffing might by 20-30:1 or higher, versus the good neighborhoods the coppers live in.

Unless a new recruit has some serious juice, he's going to start in one of the slum neighborhoods on the South or West sides. On nights and weekends these areas get approximately 80% of the police resources (I've been told). So the effect is the large majority of Chicago coppers live in nice low crime neighborhoods, but go to work in really crappy crime-ridden slums.

And that's how many if not most have come to think of the city as "us & them", and it involves skin color, but also many more complexities, particularly a geographical component.

Please don't shoot the messenger on this one - I simply recount what I see and am told..

Cops follow the orders of elected officials along with their policies.

BS poll.
Nope- but then tell me what the poll problem is and what you would have asked

Nope- but then tell me what the poll problem is and what you would have asked

Police have roll calls before every shift and are given their marching orders. These orders come from the top. The top officials are the ones responsible for the heartbeat of their given towns and cities and create policy. Incompetent city officials are what gave us Ferguson, Baltimore, and Chicago.

Do I need to go further?

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Link to the report

Appears to be explosive.
Thoughts are?

My thought is the CPD Accountability Task Force should have employed and impartial professional writer to write the report. The bias in the language in the report is obvious and unfortunate. It is clear there is systemic racism in the CPD. This should not be a shocker to anyone who has ever visited Chicago for more than 30 min. What is unfortunate is because of poorly written report you will give the naysayers plenty of ammunition to poo-poo the report.

Police have roll calls before every shift and are given their marching orders. These orders come from the top. The top officials are the ones responsible for the heartbeat of their given towns and cities and create policy. Incompetent city officials are what gave us Ferguson, Baltimore, and Chicago.

Do I need to go further?
I largely agree.

Chicago's Police problem is not just institutionalized in the department, but comes from the Mayor's office and extends to the Cook County States Attorney's Office! Remember, Chicago and Cook County are virtually synonymous, with the city proper occupying about 80% of the County.

The result of all this is the rank and file officers are hand-tied, stuck inside a system where deviating puts one at three extreme risks:

1] Risk of retribution from the Brass & Adminastration.
2] Risk of losing the support of one's brother officers, leaving no one protecting your back when you're up against the bad guys.
3] Risk of incurring damage from one's fellow officers - some of these guys won't take anything that challenges their job very well at all.

I really don't know how some of these guys, the independent clean guys that pass the test fairly while having no pull or clout, can handle the stress of this department!

Link to the report

Appears to be explosive.
Thoughts are?

Well when you commit crimes your experiences with law enforcement will not going to be pleasurable . What percent of crimes are committed by African-Americans ? What are the racist behaviors noted ? Is there a Chicago in Alberta Canada ? What BS .

Racist ?

The CPD aren't the ones trying to corrupt the Criminal justice system by arguing that the arrest people of color is akin to some latent racial injustice

That there's a racial element when it comes to law enforcement and because of that people of color should be held to a lower standard than everyone else.

I mean there's no reasonable expectation that people of color could abide by the laws of the land or be held accountable for their actions so its time we applied our laws selectively

That's essentially what theyre saying.

Do I need to go further?
Police also enforce laws, they do not ignore major law violations due to political direction - Do I need to make myself clear on that?
As to the Poll being BS- give me your poll.

My thought is the CPD Accountability Task Force should have employed and impartial professional writer to write the report. The bias in the language in the report is obvious and unfortunate. It is clear there is systemic racism in the CPD. This should not be a shocker to anyone who has ever visited Chicago for more than 30 min. What is unfortunate is because of poorly written report you will give the naysayers plenty of ammunition to poo-poo the report.

The US has a major race problem and far to many ignore it.

Link to the report

Appears to be explosive.
Thoughts are?

I used to do tech support for the CPD ( 5-6 years ago ), well actually for the whole city of Chicago. but most of what I dealt with was the PD.
Per the city report their PD they are 50% minority.
Judging from reading accountability report here.. other materials I have read and from dealing with them directly several years back, I would say this isn't racism but rather police protecting their own, even if it means lying to cover up malfeasance.

I used to do tech support for the CPD ( 5-6 years ago ), well actually for the whole city of Chicago. but most of what I dealt with was the PD.
Per the city report their PD they are 50% minority.
Judging from reading accountability report here.. other materials I have read and from dealing with them directly several years back, I would say this isn't racism but rather police protecting their own, even if it means lying to cover up malfeasance.
Thin Blue Line, same as Drs. associations, Lawyers and others- they all clam up to protect their own.

I agree. The problem is when you use loaded language in a report like this it gives people an excuse to ignore it. Our country has a long, long history of ignoring racial injustice because it strikes at the heart of what we feel our country represents. A lot of Americans view attacking the institutional racism in this country is attacking the country itself. You see it all the time particularly when talking about the police.

I agree. The problem is when you use loaded language in a report like this it gives people an excuse to ignore it. Our country has a long, long history of ignoring racial injustice because it strikes at the heart of what we feel our country represents. A lot of Americans view attacking the institutional racism in this country is attacking the country itself. You see it all the time particularly when talking about the police.
They should open their eyes as it is not going away.

They should open their eyes as it is not going away.

Things are changing. Whether it is fast enough or not depends on who you talk to. 10 years ago video of the McDonald shooting would have never seen the light of day. 20 years ago there would not have been any video at all.

After the eruption of BLM and the high rate of police involved violence against civilians the Rialto, CA mayor ordered all police to wear body cams. The result: over a 50% reduction in police violence against civilians.

Things are changing it is just a matter opinion if the change is fast enough.

one can make a poll say what they want ti to say,all this poll this and p[oll that is getting a little over the top,what was the sample ,what was the questions and how where they phrased ,polls come on man.

Things are changing. Whether it is fast enough or not depends on who you talk to. 10 years ago video of the McDonald shooting would have never seen the light of day. 20 years ago there would not have been any video at all.

After the eruption of BLM and the high rate of police involved violence against civilians the Rialto, CA mayor ordered all police to wear body cams. The result: over a 50% reduction in police violence against civilians.

Things are changing it is just a matter opinion if the change is fast enough.
Yet cities still use Police enforcement of laws-bylaws as a source for revenues vice tax increases. This method has been shown to mainly target poor people, who are for the most part minorities.
When they cannot pay, many States outsource the collection of fines to agencies, who then use the police and courts to chase down people who could never pay in the 1st place.
Then they are sent to jail. Round and round it goes.
That is abusing the law.

Yet cities still use Police enforcement of laws-bylaws as a source for revenues vice tax increases. This method has been shown to mainly target poor people, who are for the most part minorities.
When they cannot pay, many States outsource the collection of fines to agencies, who then use the police and courts to chase down people who could never pay in the 1st place.
Then they are sent to jail. Round and round it goes.
That is abusing the law.

Understood, while I agree that the results of the excessive fining is racially biased I do not believe the enforcement is racially biased. It is biased on economic terms. They target poor people because they are much less likely to fight any fine they receive. The IRS used to work on the same principle. Sue people of limited means for back taxes and make deals with the rich people who owe back taxes. The reason; people of moderate to little means do not have the ability to fight back legally so it is more likely you will receive the full amount. Rich people will fight back legally so it is better to get a percentage of what they owe versus nothing and have to pay lawyers. This boils down to cost benefit analysis of modern day bean counters. What is right doesn't figure into the equation just the math.

It's not all about racism.

Ask a cop about a little league coach, and he immediately thinks you are going to report child molester.

Cops are surrounded by the worst humanity has to offer. Are they racist because they are constantly coming to calls where a dead black guy is laying in a pool of blood in the middle of the street, his ID stolen by passerby's and "no one saw a thing"?

Or finding a dead hooker in a dumpster with her eyes gouged out because she "snitched".

Or a guy from the 'burbs out to buy dope for a party getting rolled and beaten just for grins. "Nope, didn't see a thing".

Accidents where a drunk mowed down a kid and "thought he hit a mail box".

It doesn't take long as a cop to hate people in general, and a "certain type" specifically. They are after all, only human. We hire them so we don't have to be face to face with evil.

Yes, perpetuating contrived racial injustices means any and all legitimate issues that have led to inner city poverty, crime and violence get ignored

Link to the report

Appears to be explosive.
Thoughts are?

So, it is the racist cops that are the cause of the sky high crime rate in Chicago? Hmmm, don't believe I ever considered that, nope, still nonsense.

Yes, perpetuating contrived racial injustices means any and all legitimate issues that have led to inner city poverty, crime and violence get ignored
Darn, ya beat me to it, well played.:good_job:

Right- No prejudice in the US- It is all their fault as to why they are where they are.

So, it is the racist cops that are the cause of the sky high crime rate in Chicago? Hmmm, don't believe I ever considered that, nope, still nonsense.

Not what the report states now is it.

Back
Top Bottom