• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago Bears= NFC North champs !

I missed it, what happened?

Chris williams gave up four sacks in the first half, the receivers weren't aware that there was a game on, 3rd down concersions were non0-existent, and we learned the value of a veteran long-snapper.

The lone bright spot on offense was Matt Forte's 89 yard TD run.

D looked like **** for the first 2 series, but then got better. Urlacher got hurt, but it looked minor. Peppers looked like a stud, Bowman looked like a dud.

Chris williams gave up four sacks in the first half, the receivers weren't aware that there was a game on, 3rd down concersions were non0-existent, and we learned the value of a veteran long-snapper.

D looked like **** for the first 2 series, but then got better. Urlacher got hurt, but it looked minor. Peppers looked like a stud, Bowman looked like a dud.

And don't forget, you were playing the Raiders.

Pre-season games are just exhibitions with many different purposes. The first half of the final pre-season game is a definite indicator though.

I think the Bears will be better this year, but not improved enough to win the Central division or land a wild card slot. 8/8 at best.

With Favre back, I'm going with the Vikes to win the Central by a whisker :2razz:

The Pack are in contention for a NFC wild card berth.

Redress said:
Lions already lost a key player for the season. 6 wins, tops.

Refresh my memory. Who did we lose? Sometimes an injury bypasses the headlines on days I watch.

My big question mark is that I was completely against the pick of Jahvid Best. I don't see him as an NFL back, even if he does stay healthy - which I doubt.

There's a difference between being a fan and a "superfan". Superfans are blind.

For instance, take me:

Fan - Lions picked up some key players in free agency, and their youngsters are developing nicely. They may even hit .500 this year.

Superfan - LIONS BABY! TAKIN IT ALL IN DALLAS! BOOK IT!

One looks cautiously optimistic, one looks like a f'n idiot.

Take it down a notch, superfan.

Fan: Patriots are going to go 13-3, win the AFC East and go on to the Super Bowl...

Super Fan: Pats are going to fo 16-0, crush everyone by 30 points and then sweep into another Super Bowl championship....

All a matter of perspective...

GO PATS!!!

With a resurgence in the short passing game, the Pats offense is going to be really hard to slow down, much less stop this year -- but, I am definately concerned about the defense... Gonna be a lot of high scoring games in Forboro this year...

There's a difference between being a fan and a "superfan". Superfans are blind.

For instance, take me:

Fan - Lions picked up some key players in free agency, and their youngsters are developing nicely. They may even hit .500 this year.

Superfan - LIONS BABY! TAKIN IT ALL IN DALLAS! BOOK IT!

One looks cautiously optimistic, one looks like a f'n idiot.

Take it down a notch, superfan.

I'm not even a Lion's fan let alone a superfan. My #1 team is the Skins, my #2 team is the panthers.

But Cutler is not as great of a QB as he's made out to be and benefited greatly from Shanahan's scheme. Their receivers are frankly still vaguely a question mark despite how much people are talking up Knox. They're defense was great...a number of years ago. Now they're aging and mostly coming off of injury.

The Vikings were dominant last year and return much the same team, with a far better defense and offense than Chicago has. Green Bay is young, has an arguably better defense, a much better offense, a better QB in my opinion.

I'm simply saying Chicago is far closer to the Lions than they are to the Vikes and Packers. That's not saying the lions are going to be absolutely better than Chicago, just saying that I think given finishing in the bottom 2 or the top two I see Chicago more likely in the bottom

If the Lions finish 7-9, I'm thrilled. It's significant progress.

Bears 2010 schedule

9/12 - Lions
9/19 - at Cowboys
9/27 - Packers
10/3 - at Giants
10/10 - at Panthers
10/17 - Seahawks
10/24 - Redskins
11/7 - at Bills
11/14 - Vikings
11/18 - at Dolphins
11/28 - Eagles
12/5 - at Lions
12/12 - Patriots
12/20 - at Vikings
12/26 - Jets
1/2 - at Packers

NFL lines makers have listed the Chicago Bears at +350 to win the NFC North and the consensus is a third place finish behind Minnesota and Green Bay. I'd be amazed if they can finagle eight wins.

Fan: Patriots are going to go 13-3, win the AFC East and go on to the Super Bowl...

Super Fan: Pats are going to fo 16-0, crush everyone by 30 points and then sweep into another Super Bowl championship....

All a matter of perspective...

GO PATS!!!

With a resurgence in the short passing game, the Pats offense is going to be really hard to slow down, much less stop this year -- but, I am definately concerned about the defense... Gonna be a lot of high scoring games in Forboro this year...

i hate the pats. go colts.

I'm not even a Lion's fan let alone a superfan. My #1 team is the Skins, my #2 team is the panthers.

But Cutler is not as great of a QB as he's made out to be and benefited greatly from Shanahan's scheme. Their receivers are frankly still vaguely a question mark despite how much people are talking up Knox. They're defense was great...a number of years ago. Now they're aging and mostly coming off of injury.

The Vikings were dominant last year and return much the same team, with a far better defense and offense than Chicago has. Green Bay is young, has an arguably better defense, a much better offense, a better QB in my opinion.

I'm simply saying Chicago is far closer to the Lions than they are to the Vikes and Packers. That's not saying the lions are going to be absolutely better than Chicago, just saying that I think given finishing in the bottom 2 or the top two I see Chicago more likely in the bottom

you like the shanahan pickup?

you like the shanahan pickup?

I'm very happy with the Shanahan pickup, as well as the Kyle Shanahan pickup. I'm iffy on the McNabb pickup. IF he signs an extention it wasn't a bad move, if he doesn't it was rather horrendous. I like the Jamaal Brown trade and was glad we took Trent Williams instead of going for the sexy pick. I really, really wish we could've unloaded Haynesworth for at least a 2nd if not a 2nd and 3rd/4th.

I'm very happy with the Shanahan pickup, as well as the Kyle Shanahan pickup. I'm iffy on the McNabb pickup. IF he signs an extention it wasn't a bad move, if he doesn't it was rather horrendous. I like the Jamaal Brown trade and was glad we took Trent Williams instead of going for the sexy pick. I really, really wish we could've unloaded Haynesworth for at least a 2nd if not a 2nd and 3rd/4th.

so does haynesworth.......i'll be watching this year, because of mike shanahan. i think he's a damned good coach, and wicked smart. my FIRST and best loved team was the broncos...........but i am now mostly a colts fan.

D's getting old man. But I think they can pull together for a decent season. My real concern is still with the O-Line. If they can block, I still have a lot of faith in Forte; and even with Cutler the Bears will always love to run. I don't know, I really want a good season this year and I hope they can do something good. I think that if the pieces fell together that the Bears could be contenders in the NFC North.

But Cutler is not as great of a QB as he's made out to be and benefited greatly from Shanahan's scheme.

What Shanahan scheme? The one where you run through all your running backs in a season, or the one where you sit back until you stumble upon enough talent to win?

The one predicated off a running game that can make Reuben Droughns, Tatem Bell, Olandis Gary, and Mike Anderson look like they're legitimate quality NFL load carrying starters. This is based off one of the top mobile zone blocking linemen schemes in the league that greatly carries the running game while also making the passing style of Shanahan workable. Said passing style utilizes a great deal of QB movement with with roll outs, bootlegs, etc with a fair amount of downfield balls, both of which utilize Cutler's strengths as he is arguably seemingly more comfortable throwing on the run then as a pocket passer and has a canon arm for downfield. The successful running game mixed with this QB movement allows for good play action allows for more open looks for Cutler.

Add that to the fact he had possibly a top 15 or even top 10 NFL recieve in Brandon Marshal that could seemingly go up and get the ball from just about anywhere and you had a recipe for success that made the "Good" Cutler look "Upcoming Great" when in reality I wouldn't really put him at that level and why I really wasn't too keen on the Skins mortaging the future to attempt and grab him last year.

...when in reality I wouldn't really put him at that level and why I really wasn't too keen on the Skins mortaging the future to attempt and grab him last year.

I think Cutler's season last year was more of a product of the ineptitude of his surrounding cast than anything else. Granted, only one aspect of that has been improved on since last year, but that was a big one.

And let's face it, Cutler doesn't have to be all-world to be the best QB the Bears have ever had. Look at last season, when he had a "bad" year.

He now ranks #2 all-time with the Bears for yards in a season. (an interesting stat on that is that his completion percentage last year is the third highest single-season completion percentage for a Bears QB who threw for more 2000 yards in a season, which has sadly only occured 27 times in Bears history.) He is ranked 3rd for single season touchdowns from a Bears QB.

Now, for the next batch of stats, remember that the Bears have feilded more starting QB's over the last 20 years than any other team in the NFL.

After only one season, Cutler now ranks 18th all-time in career passing yards in a Bears uniform. 19th all time for career passing touchdowns.

He's the fifth Bears QB to pass for over 3,000 yards (Erik Kramer did it twice, the others have only done it once). And only the second to pass for over 3,200 yards.

Now, I'm not saying Cutler is one of the best QBs to ever play the game or anything silly like that, but he's definitely in the running for the best QB to ever wear the big orange C.

ludahai said:
I hate the Colts and Manning... but since Manning went to Tennessee, I have hated him far longer than him being a Colt...

Been quite a rivalry through the 2000s....

Same here. I hated Manning back in the days of Tennessee. I think all of the true maize and blue nation should.

Fulmer cost Michigan an outright national championship, the douche.

Now, I'm not saying Cutler is one of the best QBs to ever play the game or anything silly like that, but he's definitely in the running for the best QB to ever wear the big orange C.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He's not going to be a Brady or a Manning, but look at what the Bears have had. I've been a Bears fan since I understood football and we've never had anything great at the position. I have to sit here and listen to Broncos fans bitch and moan all the time and then try to make fun of me for Cutler. Really? I'm not expecting the greatest QB ever in NFL history. But I've had many Grossmans in the past. Hell, I have a f'n Cade McNown jersey because the Bears said that he was the future of our QB and I believed them. Now we have Cutler, and even with that dismal season last year I don't believe he's going to be as bad as some of the QBs I've suffered through (that being said, I did like Orton as he wasn't a heart attack waiting to happen. And I hated the Broncos fans when they immediately poo poo'ed him). In fact, in terms of Bears QB, Cutler could turn out to be the best I've had. So There's minimal down side with lots of upside when it comes to Cutler on the Bears.

Last year, Cutler F'ed up a lot. Well too many interceptions; but that's not all his fault. Muhsin Muhammad said Chicago is where receivers go to die; and there was some truth to that. The Bears never had a good pass game, never had a really good QB (our Superbowl winning QB was Jim McMahon for god's sake). We didn't know what to do with a good throwing QB. The receivers we had weren't elite, didn't know how to adjust to help Cutler out. The O-Line was abysmal! I could have made it around Orlando Pace. Cutler didn't have time to throw. Now a lot of the red zone stuff, his fault and he has to know that he too has a lot of work to adjust to the new system. But if we can get past the O-Line trouble, I think that the Bear's offense could be very effective. We have a good running back and if the receivers learn more about receiving; then Cutler will become more effective. We are a target rich team; plenty of opportunity to spread out the ball. And if Cutler works out, we can rebuild a bit on D and get back to where we should be.

I mean, could you imagine first half Grossman in that superbowl? Champs for sure! I will root for the Bears and I will support them through this time as well. I hope for a good season, I love it when the Bears win. Especially against Green Bay and Minnesota.

The bears signed a good back up qb, Todd Collins.

I hate the Colts and Manning... but since Manning went to Tennessee, I have hated him far longer than him being a Colt...

Been quite a rivalry through the 2000s....

why? manning is one of the best, and his coach doesn't cheat. ;-)

Yeah, Manning is an awesome quarterback...for sixteen games a year.

When the season hits midnight, he turns back into a pumpkin.

Back
Top Bottom