• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago: 6 Dead, 63 Wounded In Memorial Day Weekend Shootings

We need to consider sending in troops to liberate Chiraq!

I see, start with the individuals but ultimately blame liberals using loose generics. :lol:
Absolutely. It IS the responsibility of the individual...BUT...if you insist on looking big picture...then do so. What you see isnt surprising, nor shocking, nor all that difficult to understand.

......Again I ask: How many of the shootings in Chicago were done with legal firearms?

All of them.

...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed....

Or should we dismiss the constitution in this case :thinking

The common man deserves to be free from the tyranny that violence imparts. A truly free man should never need to pick up a gun.
Perhaps in some mythical utopian paradise but the fact of the matter is we live in a world, the real world, where armed defense is sometimes necessary.

The common man deserves to be free from the tyranny that violence imparts. A truly free man should never need to pick up a gun.
Can you cite an example of this? like...ever? Throughout any place or time in the worlds history? Ever?

How so? Are guns freely available or cheap in other developed countries that have done this?

Depends on the country. England and Australia are special cases because of their island status---harder to smuggle arms in. Continental Europe however, from what I've heard, has been flooded with ex Soviet gear--- mainly AK series assault rifles and the various knockoffs--- since the mid 90s.

Can you cite an example of this? like...ever? Throughout any place or time in the worlds history? Ever?

The constitution mandates that the government provide security and justice...not the people...unless they are part of a well regulated militia.

The constitution mandates that the government provide security and justice...not the people...unless they are part of a well regulated militia.
1-How does that in any way address the posters assertion that true freedom comes with no threat of violence?
2-When the Constitution was written, what was the 'well regulated militia'? Who comprised the 'well regulated militia'? Indeed...what were the framers precise words on who comprised the militia in the first place and the rights of citizens to own firearms?

Do you really want to play this one again? You know it doesnt work out well for you.

1-How does that in any way address the posters assertion that true freedom comes with no threat of violence?
2-When the Constitution was written, what was the 'well regulated militia'? Who comprised the 'well regulated militia'? Indeed...what were the framers precise words on who comprised the militia in the first place and the rights of citizens to own firearms?

Do you really want to play this one again? You know it doesnt work out well for you.

The framers believed that in order to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our prosperity that a government should establish justice, insure domestic tranquility and provide for the common defense. They believed that people living in a society would have more security and freedom if they didn't have to worry about defending themselves and their property like they would in the "state of nature."

The framers believed that in order to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our prosperity that a government should establish justice, insure domestic tranquility and provide for the common defense. They believed that people living in a society would have more security and freedom if they didn't have to worry about defending themselves and their property like they would in the "state of nature."
Whoa. Seriously? In your zeal to defend your obviously ridiculous (and repeatedly proven false) argument about the people and militias now you want to pretend the framers somehow saw a world were people didnt have to defend themselves? And of course THATS why they wrote an amendment GUARANTEEING the people the right to defend themselves.

Are you visiting friends in Denver? Try this restaurant...Tocabe. American Indian food done gourmet style. You'll love it.

I didn't say that.

Yeah, probably not. But I'm a little frustrated in that there was a tool that was effective, it focused attention on the population segment where the most problems were coming from, and now, the decision is to abandon that effective tool.

OK, so what's the next tool that's going to be effective, and how long will it be before that one's banned as well?

Like I posted after this. May as well just continue to allow the blood letting. Eventually they'll run out of people to shoot, and it may quite down.

Baloney. Guns are as "addictive" as leaded gasoline and Kinder Surprise.
The target is supply and demand. It's how most all bans work.
How many common criminals do you think are able to afford a gun when the going-price is tens of thousands of dollar for a gun?

No idea - I haven't recently researched the number of home and auto robberies occurring for legal gun owners.

Why do you think the price for a gun is tens of thousands of dollars?

The explanation for Chicago is a socioeconomic one, but no one wants to have that conversation. Always easier to blame the gun, blame the "gun free zone" or whatever else avoids talking about urban decay.

So what is the explanation? It has to be more than they're poor...there are plenty of poor folks in the Appalachians that aren't shooting each other.

Absolutely. It IS the responsibility of the individual...BUT...if you insist on looking big picture...then do so. What you see isnt surprising, nor shocking, nor all that difficult to understand.

The OP drops in the forum all the damn time with threads about shootings in Chicago followed up by a bunch of cheerleaders. He and they not blaming the individual. They are looking at the whole picture of Chicago and pointing the finger then kind of skating around whatever it is they are trying to say. I just want them to say whatever it is they want to say rather than playing coy.

Why do you think the price for a gun is tens of thousands of dollars?

That'd be the goal, which is not the current state of things.

Depends on the country. England and Australia are special cases because of their island status---harder to smuggle arms in. Continental Europe however, from what I've heard, has been flooded with ex Soviet gear--- mainly AK series assault rifles and the various knockoffs--- since the mid 90s.

That is also true.

Perhaps in some mythical utopian paradise but the fact of the matter is we live in a world, the real world, where armed defense is sometimes necessary.
Again, the goal as I'd argue it. We've gotten pretty damn good at eliminating wars between countries; putting a stop to human enslavement and trafficking; and reducing homicides and violent crime rates. We've not eradicated these ailments, but there sure is a lot of us living today that no longer have to worry about these in the course of our lives.

So ... that means our effort to continue that trend shouldn't cease. Human lives should be free of violence and threats of violence.

No, the Supreme Court invalidated the ban.

that only matters if the shootings were done by people who bought the guns legally. What do you think the chance of that was the case is?

Chicago and Oak Park's gun laws were deemed unconstitutional in 2010 by McDonald v. Chicago.

We've had 6 years of a pro-gun person's dream.

that's a lie. Chicago is still very anti gun as is Illinois.

A pro gun person's dream would be constitutional carry laws., well stocked gun stores easily accessible within the city. easily accessible public shooting ranges etc. I suspect that is not yet the case in ObamaLand

What is the Right's explanation for Chicago?

too many black gangbangers and not enough armed good people. Years of corrupt government which was the heartland of prohibition area corrupt government

Hardly. Concealed carry ban - Nope, killed in 2012. Gun registry - Killed.
Ban on gun shops? Officially killed. The only thing that's keeping weapon dealers out of the city are city officials.

And our 'damn police' are on the side of returning to heavy regulation. Less guns in the hands of the public = less officers getting killed on duty.

any cop who wants to deny another honest citizen the ability to CCW is not fit to have a badge. How many cops are killed by legal gun carrying citizens? LOL.

BTW why should we care what cops want when it comes to our rights? most cops support armed citizens. Those giving hummers to their political masters in office-really don't count

Do I need to explain the prohibition and marijuana examples to you or can you figure that out for yourself?

When a gang member needs a gun it isn't much different from an addiction. Where there is a need and a prohibition the black market will provide and always has.

Again, do you have any idea how many of those shootings were with legally acquired firearms? I would guess most are illegal, save for any that were used in self defense.

I love watching Brothern argue for gun bans while pretending to be a libertarian. all the chicago gun bans did was disarm good people.

Back
Top Bottom